What's new

Boycott a Product ?

The difference is that Mussorgsky and Ravel are both deceased. Whatever they might have been, they aren't doing it anymore, and attending a performance of Pictures at an Exhibition won't line their pockets with silver. Whatever they might have been is irrelevant to Mussorgsky's composition and Ravel's arrangement.

OTOH, when you a company does things you consider objectionable, and you know that doing business with them will give them a bit more money to do these things with, it becomes a different situation.
I'm definitely in agreement with you regarding deceased individuals, however the modern take is to apply our current standards to behaviors of long deceased individuals in order to negate their accomplishments.

I'm definitely in agreement with you regarding deceased individuals, however the modern take is to apply our current standards to behaviors of long deceased individuals in order to negate their accomplishments.

And not having been alive when they were yields unrealistic conclusions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coming back to the original question: well, I decide for my own what to buy and would not buy products from a company that clearly acts against my basic values. This holds for shaving products as well.

But this is no boycott, for my understanding. The latter is a public demand not to buy products of a certain company or certain persons.

History has many examples of such boycotts, lots of them on the bad side. I would need quite a bit of persuasion to follow the boycott path.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Sometimes a company can be unwittingly forced to adopt a position. These days many people demand the unreasonable right to go through life without being offended by anything. If they are then they can demand that a company change their business practice and any unwillingness to do so is seen as the company adopting the opposite view which can lead to further demands or boycotts. Conversely, any change in their business practice can then cause the same objections from those who hold that opposing view. Pretty soon, Hollywood non entities and 'social media influencers' have jumped at the chance to demonstrate their self righteous virtue and a witch hunt develops. It is pathetic. However, I am not sure how this is a 'General Shaving Discussion' and suggest with respect that it is not.

Sometimes I choose not to support a vendor because of the name/image they have selected for their company. For example, I will not purchase from Black Ship Grooming, The Holy Black, or Southern Witchcrafts. I also avoid specific products such as: B&M Leviathan and Lyssa, and M&M Gael Laoch because of the way they are marketed.

Exactly!!! It’s not an intelligent move for corporations to become political. It can only cause them to be less profitable, but it’s their choice...

Yet corps. are made up of imperfect people with imperfect ideas. I have no qualms with anyone boycotting whatever they may wish. It's their $$ after all. However, it is the epitome of foolishness to believe that it will change the political POV held by those in charge whichever side of the fence they may be on any moreso than their POV changing that of the boycotter.

Yet corps. are made up of imperfect people with imperfect ideas. I have no qualms with anyone boycotting whatever they may wish. It's their $$ after all. However, it is the epitome of foolishness to believe that it will change the political POV held by those in charge whichever side of the fence they may be on any moreso than their POV changing that of the boycotter.

It’s not the motivation though. The total motivation to prevent spending my money against me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...However, I am not sure how this is a 'General Shaving Discussion' and suggest with respect that it is not.
Indeed it is a "general shaving" question.
If one reads the OP's opening post in its entirety, it will be clear that he was referring to boycotting "shaving products," even though that part doesn't appear in the title itself.

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Indeed it is a "general shaving" question.
If one reads the OP's opening post in its entirety, it will be clear that he was referring to boycotting "shaving products," even though that part doesn't appear in the title itself.
We will have to agree to disagree as I think that shaving is incidental and merely used as a means of shoehorning the subject into the forum. It could just as easily refer to any other product or service. Either way the discussion is not why I visit this forum so with respect I will leave you to it.

We will have to agree to disagree as I think that shaving is incidental and merely used as a means of shoehorning the subject into the forum. It could just as easily refer to any other product or service. Either way the discussion is not why I visit this forum so with respect I will leave you to it.
The general shaving forum is by definition a "catch-all" for "...any shaving related talk that doesn't belong in the (other) forums."
From my experience with the myriad topics discussed in this forum, I see it as sufficiently tied to shaving.
However, I can appreciate that some may find the nexus tenuous or superficial.

The only criticism from me is that inevitably the members digress from the originally-posted topic or question into whatever it is they want to talk about, and it just goes further afield from there...as it has here.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
The general shaving forum is by definition a "catch-all" for "...any shaving related talk that doesn't belong in the (other) forums."
From my experience with the myriad topics discussed in this forum, I see it as sufficiently tied to shaving.

The only criticism from me is that inevitably the members digress from the originally-posted topic or question into whatever it is they want to talk about, and it just goes further afield from there...as it has here.
The thing I like about B&B is that it is/was a political free zone. It offered the opportunity to connect with a wide range of individuals that we wouldn't otherwise, due to a common interest, without having to suffer beliefs and ideologies. The less of that the better. Then we can concentrate on the important stuff life has to offer; like wet shaving.

A company's policies do influence my patronage and purchases, I think that's only normal. But I don't quite understand the reflexive desire to boycott companies that feel compelled to make business decisions to respond to public pressure. I believe that's more of a useless gesture that isn't particularly productive.

Last edited:
If I see malpractices from a brand of product, I'll probably boycott them in terms of purchase. If I have their products in my den, I'll still use it up. I just won't buy more of them. Especially with the tons of options out there, it doesn't hurt me a bit to not buy one brand of product.

I'd rather give my money to good people and I'll avoid giving it to bad ones if I can. You'll have to guess who I think the good ones and bad ones are.

Yes I would. and yes I do. Ironically, this is what brought me to this wonderful world of wet shaving to begin with :)

proxy.php

Best comment of all. LOL.

This is probably better suited to the Barbershop Forum. JMO.

To the OP's question, I am very brand specific and always have been. I find what I like and what works for me and stick with it. So far, it tends to be businesses that stay as neutral as possible and just stick to business. This applies to local businesses as well. If anything goes downhill concerning the business that affects me directly such as service, product decline or change in practices for the worst, I will not hesitate to go elsewhere. To me, companies are like people, they don't have to agree with me nor do I have to agree with them on everything to have a relationship.

Top Bottom