What's new

Boycott a Product ?

And yet almost every one here buys untold amounts of stuff manufactured in Communist Red China.
And do I even need to go into the myriad reasons they are perhaps the most unworthy beneficiaries of our disposable incomes?

Because, as wrong as it is, I’m not spending money on politics which effects me. I have to protect my own nest, before I can crusade to better others.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on the reasoning. I was taught to forgive and I enjoy going to sleep at night without carrying hatred and anger towards others. So I'm inclined to give people a second or even a third chance in most cases, provided the situation can warrant it. I don't want to turn into a grumpy old man looking for something to complain about daily and direct my anger towards. I'd rather have another purpose in life, a kinder purpose.

That being said there are limitations and there are places that I don't buy from as the result of continuous poor service. I'm not actively boycotting them, but I don't want to experience the same poor service over and over again.

If I find that a company or country is doing something that I find to be objectionable, I have and will boycott their products, if and whenever possible.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
If it's a shaving product I like, I'll buy more than enough to last a lifetime then not buy anymore of their products...unless they come out with something cool.

No.

I don't care about political leanings, political pronouncements, position statements, insults, anything really with the exception of poor customer service and/or dishonesty.

I believe in the concept that a creation of any sort should stand or fall on its own merits, independent of the creator. For example, Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" is either a good piece of music or a bad piece of music, regardless of the fact that the person who wrote it was, by some accounts, an alcoholic jerk.

Same goes for shave soap, aftershaves, etc. As long as a company hasn't cheated, lied, misrepresented their product, or mistreated their employees, I will buy what works for me and what I enjoy using, regardless of the political leanings, tweets, etc. of said company or its owner(s).

The difference is that Mussorgsky and Ravel are both deceased. Whatever they might have been, they aren't doing it anymore, and attending a performance of Pictures at an Exhibition won't line their pockets with silver. Whatever they might have been is irrelevant to Mussorgsky's composition and Ravel's arrangement.

OTOH, when you a company does things you consider objectionable, and you know that doing business with them will give them a bit more money to do these things with, it becomes a different situation.

Oddly, that's perhaps easily done with shaving. All you have to do is to forgo badger brushes and razors made in China. It's a tad more difficult for injector blades, but you can get some nice twin blades from Japan.

I agree. Much harder when it comes to electronics, though, if not impossible. But I don't have any chinese made shaving gear. Everything I have is either made here in the US, Germany, Italy or Canada. On second thought I bet all of those plastic tubs that hold the soap and cream quite possibly be made in China. I'll have to check them to be sure.

Can someone share an example of a reason besides customer service they (or someone else) boycotted a business? I have no intention of arguing the merits.. I'm trying to form an opinion but can't think of examples to consider.

Ideology is one. Another is insults. Paying a company to continue either is like that initiation scene in Animal House.

Ideology is one. Another is insults. Paying a company to continue either is like that initiation scene in Animal House.

I'll agree that it is ideology that drives most of my boycott decisions. I don't really care about insults since there really is no way for a company to insult me. The only way I can be insulted is if someone I know and care about decides to insult me. But a company is impersonal, they don't know me and therefore they cannot possibly insult me. There has to be a personal connection.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
If a company PUBLICLY supports, funds, advertises for, etc., a political, philosophical, religious view that is not in line with mine, I prefer they don't make money from me. Likewise someone charging premium prices for items produced in sweat shops I also avoid. Is it a perfect solution? Nope. Many companies keep it real quite, while others make it part of their marketing.

^^^This^^^

When businesses use their proceeds to advance a particular political/legislative point of view, they become a political advocacy entity.

^^^This^^^

When businesses use their proceeds to advance a particular political/legislative point of view, they become a political advocacy entity.

Absolutely. And now corporations can contribute endless amounts of money to political causes or candidates, which makes things even worse.

A given company's socially conscious decision NOT to sell certain deadly products will also EARN my business, just as a company's decision to sell such items will LOSE my patronage permanently!

I stopped going to a local barber saloon (haircut) because I perceived lack of good manners.

Unfortunately I cannot stop buying from Amazon.

A given company's socially conscious decision NOT to sell certain deadly products will also EARN my business, just as a company's decision to sell such items will LOSE my patronage permanently!

Exactly!!! It’s not an intelligent move for corporations to become political. It can only cause them to be less profitable, but it’s their choice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Absolutely. And now corporations can contribute endless amounts of money to political causes or candidates, which makes things even worse.
I just wish that if corporations are a person that they are held to the same standards as a person. It seems like individuals are held way more accountable.

Last edited:
Top Bottom