What's new

Boycott a Product ?

My mom always told me if someone is expressing their opinion, and I don't like it or am offended by it, a gentleman politely ignores them.

She also taught me that if someone is doing things which could physically endanger or hurt someone, or if someone is being bullied, a gentleman politely intervenes.

So, to me there is a line, and each situation is different. I will say that I am not above politely ignoring a company with my wallet. When individuals broadcast opinions, to me, it's different than companies. Its just bad business in most cases for companies to publicly take sides or get political, and makes me question their motives for doing so. The company can have whatever opinion they like, doesn't bother me. But if they choose to get loud or deceptive about it then they are likely to have me take my business elsewhere.

As pointed out, many companies have shady business or labor practices. Companies can hide these to an extent. I admit I don't investigate every company I buy from, but if I am aware of inhumane or dishonest policies I do try to find other options.

I agree, but I would add that a company spends its money against you, when it takes and advertises a political position. In that case they are spending YOUR money against YOU. Why would someone want to fund that?

There are organizations that have been hurt for taking sides when they should have remained apolitical.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I vote with my wallet. I prefer to shop local, small businesses whenever possible. I prefer to buy American-made products even though they may cost a little more than their competition. And I do not return to any establishment where I have been treated rudely or ripped off.

Yes. There is a "nearby" fast food joint who's staff was sufficiently rude that I don't intend to eat there again, and I'm not the only one who's come to that conclusion.

Once had an interesting experience in another fast food joint where a clerk had an attitude. I said nothing, but the manager saw what was going on and stepped in and took my order. The clerk then showed an attitude toward her, and she gave me a little "He won't be working here anymore" smile. When I went back, he was gone.

OTOH, have been in restaurants where the service was so poor, I tipped two pennies to show what I thought about it. Would have tipped nothing, but two pennies showed I hadn't forgotten.

Takes years to earn a customer. Only one dumb tweet/announcement to lose them. Get woke go broke. Even If I agree with their politics I still think it's a bad practice.
Except no one is going broke. Essentially becoming the norm now if not already.

Almost never for political or religious reasons. If I were to boycott a product, it'd be due to human rights violations or because purchasing said product advances an oppressive institution. Other than that, so long as you treat me just as you would any other customer and I like your product (and can afford it lol), I'll buy it.

Absolutely. There are too many substitutes available for me to use something with subconscious bad mojo that puts me in a bad mood.

Of course. One of the reasons I went down this rabbit hole was to shave with less waste. Then, I ordered way too much stuff...:eek2:

Yes indeed!

Some companies do not deserve my $. I understand that these individual decisions may not have much impact. But taken collectively, purchasing decisions can have a huge impact.

You betcha. Topping the list are a large, nationwide, quite popular restaurant and an equally large big box sporting goods store.

You betcha. Topping the list are a large, nationwide, quite popular restaurant and an equally large big box sporting goods store.
OK, yeah, I refuse to shop at that sporting goods store, even for the best sales.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

No.

I don't care about political leanings, political pronouncements, position statements, insults, anything really with the exception of poor customer service and/or dishonesty.

I believe in the concept that a creation of any sort should stand or fall on its own merits, independent of the creator. For example, Mussorgsky's "Pictures at an Exhibition" is either a good piece of music or a bad piece of music, regardless of the fact that the person who wrote it was, by some accounts, an alcoholic jerk.

Same goes for shave soap, aftershaves, etc. As long as a company hasn't cheated, lied, misrepresented their product, or mistreated their employees, I will buy what works for me and what I enjoy using, regardless of the political leanings, tweets, etc. of said company or its owner(s).

Can someone share an example of a reason besides customer service they (or someone else) boycotted a business? I have no intention of arguing the merits.. I'm trying to form an opinion but can't think of examples to consider.

If a company PUBLICLY supports, funds, advertises for, etc., a political, philosophical, religious view that is not in line with mine, I prefer they don't make money from me. Likewise someone charging premium prices for items produced in sweat shops I also avoid. Is it a perfect solution? Nope. Many companies keep it real quite, while others make it part of their marketing.

Almost never for political or religious reasons. If I were to boycott a product, it'd be due to human rights violations or because purchasing said product advances an oppressive institution. Other than that, so long as you treat me just as you would any other customer and I like your product (and can afford it lol), I'll buy it.
I think this sums up my rationale as well. I still enjoy Tom Cruise movies, although I do not agree with his beliefs and know that my ticket purchase will be paid in support of those beliefs. I choose not to eat at Chick-Fil-A strictly based upon my palate (usually only eat at McDonalds and that is so my grandson can make full and exhausting use of the indoor playground).

And yet almost every one here buys untold amounts of stuff manufactured in Communist Red China.
And do I even need to go into the myriad reasons they are perhaps the most unworthy beneficiaries of our disposable incomes?

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Yes. It may be the inclusion of a ingredient in their product that I choice to not use or how they go about their business. Shaving is not above any normal standards I hold.

And yet almost every one here buys untold amounts of stuff manufactured in Communist Red China.
And do I even need to go into the myriad reasons they are perhaps the most unworthy beneficiaries of our disposable incomes?
Boom.

Top Bottom