What's new

Boy, some safety razors are really dirty.

I've bought lots of old Gillette safety razors over the years, but what gets me is how dirty some of them are. I swear, some razors look like they've never been cleaned since the person bought the razor new. Years of hard-caked on soap scum and whiskers and shaving cream. You'd almost think with that much gunk on the razor, it would be hard to use it effectively. You'd think the person(s) who previously owned the razor would give it a clean or rinse once in awhile?

I've bought lots of old Gillette safety razors over the years, but what gets me is how dirty some of them are. I swear, some razors look like they've never been cleaned since the person bought the razor new. Years of hard-caked on soap scum and whiskers and shaving cream. You'd almost think with that much gunk on the razor, it would be hard to use it effectively. You'd think the person(s) who previously owned the razor would give it a clean or rinse once in awhile?

I thought the same thing. Then I started lending my girlfriend safety razors and I see how it happens... I always feel the need to clean them up for her.

Yep, I've come across the same many times. However, there's little a good scrub and a pot of boiling water won't take care of.

What really gets me are vintage watches. There's always black gunk in the nooks and crannies on the cases. I don't know how people can live with that. I clean my watches regularly. Unfortunately, you can't just toss them into boiling water. :smile:

They are dirty and I sometimes wonder, too. But cleaning a well built tool is like a work project. Once you see the shiny result it is all worth it and you feel very confident.

My issue is not how to clean these razors but what kind of person can live with it in this condition. Yuk!

Len

I've noticed how quickly the gunk builds up in and on my injectors if I don't clean them promptly. I can see how the original owners, who were probably not collectors, let some of them get into the sad state that I found them in. When they got too disgusting, they probably just stuck them in a drawer, where they were found years later at an estate sale.

Then again, I've had the fun of seeing shiny, highly usable razors emerge from behind layers of dirt and corrosion. I'll keep them clean while I have them. Anyone who uses these after me will likely have the same attitude, otherwise they would just be getting cartridges or disposables at the grocery.

This is absolutely true, but often, it helps you get an amazing razor (after some elbow grease) for a low price...others avoid them because they look bad...but we can appreciate what's underneath.

Maas is a miracle product.

I don't mind the years of soap buildup or the rust. What really bothers me is the whiskers. Did these people ever change a blade and see all of the whiskers and want to clean them out? I clean my razors very carefully before I use them. I just can't stand the thought of someone elses body parts in something I am going to put up to my face.

I just can't stand the thought of someone elses body parts in something I am going to put up to my face.

One reason I'm not a big fan of buying used shaving equipment unless the person selling states they have properly cleaned it before selling.

Used shaving brushes to me are just nasty.

I think when you find something like what's been mentioned here it goes back to the days when the previous owner just looked at shaving as something that had to be done, that it was just a chore to be completed before getting about one's day. Not much was placed on the tools for getting the job done.

As is evident of the membership here, shaving today is looked at as more of a personal thing to be enjoyed and not rushed through. So is care of one's gear.

My issue is not how to clean these razors but what kind of person can live with it in this condition. Yuk!

Len

+1, it's not the ones that have a bit of soap in them or a blade left in it. I figure I know the owner of the razor may not have had a choice. :001_rolle

I suspect I will also leave one of these behind.

But some of these things are down right ugly. I got a "SuperSpeed" off of ebay that took me an hour last night to clean up. Of course it was actually a nicely functioning 40s Rocket, for $20 I can clean. But imagine if the seller had cleaned it and saw "Made In England" on it.

I pledge to you my Brothers, that the only dirty razors I will leave behind are ones in unopened boxes, in the bin to be cleaned and on my sink.

-jim

Bought my share of filthy razors.

Whether you enjoy a job or not, you take care of your tools. :mad3:

But, I guess that is just the way I was raised.

Top Bottom