What's new

Boxing or Muay Thai training- new gym

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Or something else...

I’m not an athlete and I am not looking to become one. I would like to train but I cannot give up a whole room in the house to convert it into a gym.

A bit of background. I’m not what you would call fit. 2 years ago, I turned to the paleo lifestyle and I’m still doing it (mostly). There are items that I do not eat at all and some in moderation. I lost a good bit of weight while doing strict AIP.

At the moment, I’m maintaining everything. I would like to train a bit in order to be healthier. If I loose weight, it’s a bonus.

So, I’m not a boxing or MMA fan but the style was always interesting. I would like to start training with something like Muay Thai as it uses the upper and lower body quite a bit(or I can be wrong here). Again, I’m not training for the next championship, only to move around.

Im looking at buying a bit of equipment but I’m unsure what. It needs to fit in a closet or something. I can’t leave it out.

My car lives in the garage with my tools so I can’t go there. I can possibly do something in the guest room but I can’t afford to leave any equipment out when I’m done.

I have a set of weights already. They fit under the bed. I may need a few more items. I don’t know if I should get a punching ball or a punching bag(stand or hooked). I own the house so adding a hook is very possible. As long as I can hide it.

I did not prepare a routine yet but do understand how to make one. I want to get the equipment side first and I will move this project to the routine after that.

Hopefully, someone more experienced than me(easy) can guide me on what could be good choices.

Any advice is appreciated

martym

Unacceptably Lasering Chicken Giblets?
Maybe something like this? You can punch, use forearm elbows, knees, and shins.
I searched punching/kicking bags

DD803DDA-7E09-450E-84E7-105225864E56.jpeg

Make sure you wrap your hands correctly. Too many people don't know how, and end up hurting their hands/wrists.

If possible, take a class to learn proper punching and kicking techniques. Then you can replicate what you learned at home.

Luc

Staff member
Thanks gents. I looked at a few punching bags but, since I never really used one, I got no idea how easy/pain it can be. I mean, the one on the stand must be bulkier. The one with the hook might be a pain to hook/unhook each time.

I'm guessing (from what I read) that the one on a hook is an empty pouch that I need to fill myself. I'm guessing that I need to find my own filler...

Commander Quan

Commander Yellow Pantyhose
The smallest free standing bag I would buy for home use is the Original Wavemaster, although for the nominal price difference I would get the Powerline version. You fill the base with water or sand, and just tip them at and angle hold the top with one hand and push the base with the other to roll them where you want it to go. I would avoid the bag shown in the first post the base weakens and it starts to lean to one side.
If you want a hanging bag they do usually come filled, a 40 lb bag would be sufficient for what you want and easy enough to hang by yourself depending on what you have set up to hang it from.

You can usually get deals at used sporting goods stores if your looking at the type freestanding type bags inspect the seams of the base carefully, those style bases are known for developing leaks where the base meets the spindle.

As far as wrapping your hands, get a pair wrist wrap style gloves and be done with it, they're just more convenient that the wraps.

Years ago punching bags were filled with sawdust or sand. When you hit one of those bags you better be wearing gloves. The bags were extremely heavy. The gym I worked out had three of these bags. It was amusing to see the reaction on a person's face when they hit the bags without gloves on.

The gym I was going to until COVID hit has only one punching bag. I understand it is filled with cotton rags and materials. It is not as heavy (it still weighed about 100 lbs.) and much more forgiving. You can buy bags now filled or empty.

Luc

Staff member
Thanks again gents! I will definitely look into hand protection. I keep looking at the hang bags, I can probably roll them under the bed or throw it in a closet.

many thanks for the information

Luc,

I offer the following suggestions as someone who has been training and teaching boxing and Muay Thai for 40 years: If at all possible go get some instruction from a reputable instructor before you A. Buy equipment, and B. Start wailing on a bag.

It’s really easy, and common, to get injuries very quickly if you haven’t learned proper basic technique for punching and kicking. Since your goal is fitness, not competition, staying injury free should be your first priority - you can’t get fit or maintain fitness if you can’t train, and you can’t train when you’re injured. Unfortunately most people new to boxing or Muay Thai get in front of a bag and just wail on it with poor form, damaging wrists, elbows, shoulders, knees, ankles, feet.....

Also, an instructor can show you different types of practice routines that you can use at home to keep from getting bored.

Finally, going to a well equipped facility that has a variety of different bags that you can try will give you a much better idea of what you will want to buy for home.

Hope this helps some and have fun, boxing and Muay Thai can both be great workouts!

Luc

Staff member
Well, I didn’t buy anything. I’m watching YouTube videos and reading as much as I can. With this virus, it’s fairly difficult to meet someone but I do understand why it’s important.

I started a routine that requires a yoga mat only. So, at least I’m moving a bit.

i want to thank everyone again for your input, I appreciate it.

Luc

Staff member
Update

I bought a punching bag back in December (got a crazy deal) I made a hook in the basement so I hook and unhook between sessions.

I went from couch potato level expert to really green-moving-a-bit.

I did a full 30 days doing exercises online. First week was a nonstop 6 mins warm up. After 2 weeks I started videos that are 20-30 mins long. That first 30 days was without any equipment at all.

my routine is a boxing video (shadow boxing, no equipment) Monday to Friday for 30 mins.

On the weekend I have more time so I do 6 x 3 mins rounds with 30 secs rest between rounds. Twice a day.

I watch a number of hours of tutorials on YouTube and did learn the hand wrap. I also bought the gloves where you wrap the wrist but I prefer using the hand wraps.

no injuries so far which is good. I try not to push too much on the punching bag.

I have 4 main channels that I watch for either tutorials or exercise. They are different but have similar points when it comes to showing, let say, how to throw a jab. It might not be exactly right but it’s more for health reasons than picking a fight.

Luc

Staff member
Update

Boxing is still on with the same routines. There's a lot of great content available online to keep me busy for a good while.

I'm still no expert. I did a speed test (where you throw punches at 100% for a period of time) and I qualify as beginner (which is fine by me).

On the punching bag, I don't have anything at the bottom to fix it. When mine breaks, I will look at that to limit any swings from the bag. In the interim, I could possibly put the punching bag in the corner of the room. But then, my (not so good) leg work will possibly be worse.

I bought the headband thing with a ball attached to it. I got it in the face quite often. It's starting to get better where I can do 15 punches in a row without missing it.

I'm fairly happy with the results. I'm less tired and feel lighter. I got no clue how much weight I lost. I did loose some but I just don't know how much.

Still injury free!

Luc

Staff member
New update

I mostly do shadow boxing (around 20 mins a day, sometimes less, sometimes more). My punching bag is failing me but it was cheap one. The straps that are used to hang it are undoing. I could repair it, I should instead of throwing it out. I'm thinking of putting some eyelets to repair it. It might be temporary. I don't know.

I use the punching bag less and less since it's dying.

I also started yoga on "rest" days. I kinda liked it since it's a lot of stretching. I don't sweat as much but it works. I probably look ridiculous but I don't care. Belly is going down and I'm starting to see the results.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I could repair it, I should instead of throwing it out.

You "could" ... but will you?

I use the punching bag less and less since it's dying.

Seems like you ought to "fix or cut bait".

1628262689220.png

I probably look ridiculous but I don't care. Belly is going down and I'm starting to see the results.

It sucks getting old and needing to do yoga.

But at least you are old enough not to care what other people think of how you look doing yoga.

1628262876315.png

• Haha
Reactions: Luc

Luc

Staff member
Funny that you posted the DDP Yoga picture as this is the one that I tried (I tried a few) and it's very good.

Luc

Staff member
Time for an update!

My cheap punching bag from Amazon (around $30 cdn) is breaking apart. It's cheap as I don't think that I have a killer punch! I moved to shadow boxing instead. I should, however, repair it and hang it once a week.

I also started running here and there. I got a Garmin vivofit 4 using my credit card points. I thought that I should try it. It worked well for the first few months and started resetting when I press the top button. I got another Garmin but a vivosmart. I really want to get the heartbeat on that thing. The youtube videos that I follow always show how many calories are burned. I'm not convinced that I burn that much so I will put that to the test.

Also, I started using an app named MyFitnessPal. That thing is an eye-opener! I working hard on my food intake. I try to lower the fat intake and up the proteins. Carbs are okay. So far, I've been using it for a month and already lost 10 lbs. I've implemented tough measures to ensure that I report everything correctly. Every food is measured to the gram or ml.

I should get a bench today to start weights.

Honestly this is going to sound a bit gatekeeping/snobby but I am not a fan of training yourself in martial arts. It is a recipe for bad habits and injuries. YouTube isn’t going to cut it.

Even with proper hand wrapping, punching incorrectly can damage your hand. And kicking incorrectly will end up in groin pills and worse.

Unless you are doing something like Tae-Bo or fitness boxing and then it doesn’t really matter - those are just fancy aerobics with a gloss of martial arts.

As far as gear - hand wraps, stretchy shorts, good gloves (Fairtex is a good choice, Winning are the best but pricey) are all you need.

For bags, KO Fightgear is probably the best deal in a real Muay Thai bag. Or Outslayer.

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Make sure you wrap your hands correctly. Too many people don't know how, and end up hurting their hands/wrists.

If possible, take a class to learn proper punching and kicking techniques. Then you can replicate what you learned at home.
Agreed. That was my first thought, hitting a heavy bag wrong could be pretty bad.
I started off on a speed bag first when I first started training about 50 years ago. 😁

Fred D

Member of The Illiterati
Oh I just realized I was replying to an old post/thread. I'm getting old, or just a little "punch drunk". 😂

Luc

Staff member
Honestly this is going to sound a bit gatekeeping/snobby but I am not a fan of training yourself in martial arts. It is a recipe for bad habits and injuries. YouTube isn’t going to cut it.

Even with proper hand wrapping, punching incorrectly can damage your hand. And kicking incorrectly will end up in groin pills and worse.

Unless you are doing something like Tae-Bo or fitness boxing and then it doesn’t really matter - those are just fancy aerobics with a gloss of martial arts.

As far as gear - hand wraps, stretchy shorts, good gloves (Fairtex is a good choice, Winning are the best but pricey) are all you need.

For bags, KO Fightgear is probably the best deal in a real Muay Thai bag. Or Outslayer.
Well, as I mentioned in post 1. I am not training to be a martial artist. I do not intend to claim that I'm slightly close to one. I do it for fitness. So, by your definition, I'm a fancy aerobic-er person! :)

So far, I probably did something right as I did not injure my hands on the punching bag. Yet...

For gear, I'm pretty much all set for now. Somehow, something is working with my shenanigans as I'm getting closer to my goal!

Top Bottom