What's new

Boxing or Muay Thai training- new gym

Well that is fine. I would definitely watch hitting the bag though. You can do it wrong a bunch and end up with nerve and tendon damage over time.

If you are using a heavier bag specifically.

Now if it is a lightweight bag, probably less of a big deal.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Well, as I mentioned in post 1. I am not training to be a martial artist. I do not intend to claim that I'm slightly close to one. I do it for fitness. So, by your definition, I'm a fancy aerobic-er person! :)

So far, I probably did something right as I did not injure my hands on the punching bag. Yet...

For gear, I'm pretty much all set for now. Somehow, something is working with my shenanigans as I'm getting closer to my goal!

Well, the "boxercise" sort of exercise is just glorified aerobics ... lots of moving your arms and legs out in front of you (I can't bring myself to call them "punches" and "licks" lol.)

Beyond that there are various gradations of "serious combative" training that gives exercise, with the addition of the attempt to make the techniques either be effective or at least look effective. There's soon enough the addition of serious pad-work and bag-work where one makes "serious contact" (which has a definite conditioning aspect on the athlete as well ... you can be really proud of your deadly air-punch ... but then the first time you put that full-force into a heavy bag ... oh!).

There are lots of guys who train boxing, kickboxing, and so forth "seriously" without any intent of actually stepping into the ring for an actual fight.

I guess it boils down to one's intentions, goals, and capabilities.

Reactions: Luc
Top Bottom