What's new

Box Elder

I made this handle out of a piece of local Box Elder. I don't make many wood handle shaving brushes but lately I've made a few that I have a bit of history with. An early October 7th blizzard was the end of this tree. Most of the Box Elder that I run across is quite burly and the trees are usually hollow. The wood can have many colors to it but red highlights are common.

You did a great job on that. The handle looks like it flows perfectly through the bead which is easier said than done. It’s a beautiful piece of wood and you turned it into one fine looking brush.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
That is beautiful. Looks like marble or a resin. Will the red color stay?
Yep. I love Box Elder. In the Maple family, I believe. It's a soft hardwood, if that makes sense. I've burned tons of it, literally, for heat over the years. Kills me. And it stinks to high heaven when it burns!

Chandu

I Waxed The Badger.
Yep. I love Box Elder. In the Maple family, I believe. It's a soft hardwood, if that makes sense. I've burned tons of it, literally, for heat over the years. Kills me. And it stinks to high heaven when it burns!
I carve wood for a hobby, but don't know anything about Boxelder. It's not a commonly carved wood that I'm aware of. Obviously beautiful when turned.

FarmerTan

I bought a real nice item from a guy that made a piece of Box Elder into a business card holder that I used back when I was cutting hair. If I can find the thing I'll take a pic and post it.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Very nice looking brush handle. It does look like marble. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Thanks, I appreciate the comments. The knot isn't glued yet and I'm unsure if I'll use this handle or one I made out of a piece of local Russian Olive.

FarmerTan

Thanks, I appreciate the comments. The knot isn't glued yet and I'm unsure if I'll use this handle or one I made out of a piece of local Russian Olive.
That is beautiful, but you know we want pics of the Russian Olive one now!

Top Bottom