What's new

Bowl size and tobacco.

2A2DC6A6-4078-40B2-ACBB-5C275DB230EE.jpeg
2DF25469-6D15-4FA7-B69B-95AAFA9C4A53.jpeg
1A085FBC-5135-42ED-87BA-C09A9D49BAD6.jpeg
1C9A2A30-2BBB-4AA9-B2C0-182D3474343B.jpeg
I smoked some Old Joe Krantz in my new MM Bent Country Gentleman last night and it tasted flat. The bowl is fairly wide and deep. While smoking, I thought to myself, maybe this bowl is too big. Today I’m smoking some Old Joe in my Savinelli Venere 621 Bent Billard which is smaller; more narrow and not as deep and it taste a lot better with more flavor. Does bowl size contribute to flavor loss or change the way a blend taste?

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
View attachment 934907 View attachment 934908 View attachment 934909 View attachment 934910 I smoked some Old Joe Krantz in my new MM Bent Country Gentleman last night and it tasted flat. The bowl is fairly wide and deep. While smoking, I thought to myself, maybe this bowl is too big. Today I’m smoking some Old Joe in my Savinelli Venere 621 Bent Billard which is smaller; more narrow and not as deep and it taste a lot better with more flavor. Does bowl size contribute to flavor loss or change the way a blend taste?

Nice pipe man!

I think the answer is “maybe” :lol:. For every piper that swears a narrow bowl has more flavor, another will swear the larger bowl has more :).

I've always gone on the belief that the more complex the tobacco benefited with the wider bowl. I.e. VA and Va/per (one two ingredients) tall, thin "consintrated" bowl. English Oriental wide open "mixing" bowl.

Or I could be dumb

I just smoked a bowl of Mac Baren Burley Flake in the Cob and it was nice. Semi fold and stuff with a touch of rubbing out the tobacco. Maybe it’s just me. I’ll keep researching. Thanks guys.

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
I just smoked a bowl of Mac Baren Burley Flake in the Cob and it was nice. Semi fold and stuff with a touch of rubbing out the tobacco. Maybe it’s just me. I’ll keep researching. Thanks guys.

Researching is he fun part.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
I'm a heathen. I think everything tastes best in my Missouri Meerschaum Ozark Cherrywood :D

My Washington cob does Lakelands well, my Mizzou does Kendal shag tobaccos and ribbon well. The only tobacco that seems to work well in my Country Gentleman is Squadron Leader, as shag burns hot, flake just burns down the middle, and other ribbon cut just seems flat. My two Parker briars seem to do most things well, and they're Group 4 Dunhill seconds.

Hirsute

Used to have fun with Commander Yellow Pantyhose
View attachment 934907 View attachment 934908 View attachment 934909 View attachment 934910 I smoked some Old Joe Krantz in my new MM Bent Country Gentleman last night and it tasted flat. The bowl is fairly wide and deep. While smoking, I thought to myself, maybe this bowl is too big. Today I’m smoking some Old Joe in my Savinelli Venere 621 Bent Billard which is smaller; more narrow and not as deep and it taste a lot better with more flavor. Does bowl size contribute to flavor loss or change the way a blend taste?

Definitely yes, but as Kent pointed out, someone will swear a blend is better is a small bowl and someone else will swear it’s better in a big bowl. The only real way to figure this out is to smoke different blends in different size and shape pipes and note the differences. And sometimes, you’ll strike gold and find a particular pipe that a blend just shines in. That’s when I dedicate a pipe to a particular blend.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I've always gone on the belief that the more complex the tobacco benefited with the wider bowl. I.e. VA and Va/per (one two ingredients) tall, thin "consintrated" bowl. English Oriental wide open "mixing" bowl.

Or I could be dumb
I never believed it until the 2018 LE, which has a narrower, conical bowl. It change a good tobacco (MacBaren HH Pure Virginia) into a superstar

Top Bottom