What's new

Bowl recommendation?

From my experience any bowl will work if its the size you want. Textured bowls do whip up the lather faster but, a smooth bowl works also, It just takes a little extra time.

I tried many and only kept the Yoresh bowl

proxy.php

I tried a Captain's Choice and a Fine, but to be honest both were disappointing compared with the big, cheap, smooth bottom soup/coffee mug I've used for years.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

A cheap choice is the plastic salsa bowl from Walmart.

proxy.php

It is the perfect size, nearly indestructible and only a dollar.

Also in festive colors.
proxy.php
I have one of those. The dimensions are near-perfect, but I don't like the rough outside. I have to use a nail brush to scrub any soap scum off it.
Then again, that roughness makes for a good grip.

I like a scuttle, as they keep the lather warm for the duration of your shave. But you can also do what John Rose suggests and float your lather bowl in a sink of hot water.

I tried the fine accoutrements lather bowl and it pretty much has the same size dimensions as the large captain's choice lather bowls .

I did not like it at all because sides were not tall enough to contain the lather I was generating. I spent quite a lot of time just trying to keep the lather in the bowl, rather than mixing it.

After trying to make it work for several shaves, I began to wonder how they sold these things at all , or if maybe I was just doing something wrong. The sides being low did help me not to clink the brush against the bowl, but I would much rather have a container that held in my lather .

I finally spoke to someone about it and discovered what I think is the difference. I use badger brushes that are not all that big (22mm) but they do splay and take up most of the bowl's surface. That's what causes me to be prone to knock the lather out .

But the guy told me, and even shared a video with me of his technique , and he showed that he used smaller circles in the bowl , but mainly the issue was he was using a synthetic brush or a badger with lots of backbone. These types of brushes don't splay as much , and so there was less of an opportunity to shove the lather over the edge of the bowl.

I have large hands as well , and I would much rather be using my bowl that is about 5 1/2 inches in diameter and 2 3/8 inches deep .

Another thing is that the textured bottom became much lower on my priority list than the shape and size. Ripples will save you a little time , but not a lot. I would much rather have the right size and shape That would give me terrific lathers while I waited to find the perfect one .

Over the last couple of years, I have purchased about a dozen different shaped bowls in an effort to try to find the best Shape that I enjoy using.

I documented my efforts in a video that explains different shapes and some benefits and the advantages. it might give you some things to think about as you make your decision.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

Great video very informative and with good hints as well.
Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I used a bowl, I found a big, heavy, smooth white bowl at Target that worked great. It felt like Porcelain, it was so heavy. I still have it in the basement. I didn't feel the need for texture, but I'm sure that would accelerate the process.

If you haven't already made your choice, this bowl is the best I've found - Symmetrical pottery | Etsy. The base allows for a solid grip and it lathers faster than any other I've tried. It's also deep enough that the lather doesn't spill over the rim as you swirl. I typically use a 26mm knot and the bowl's plenty large enough for that size. You may have to wait a few days for the bowl to be made, if they don't have one ready to ship. I liked it so much, I bought a second one.

Ranger Tech.jpg

If you haven't already made your choice, this bowl is the best I've found - Symmetrical pottery | Etsy. The base allows for a solid grip and it lathers faster than any other I've tried. It's also deep enough that the lather doesn't spill over the rim as you swirl. I typically use a 26mm knot and the bowl's plenty large enough for that size. You may have to wait a few days for the bowl to be made, if they don't have one ready to ship. I liked it so much, I bought a second one.

View attachment 939119

Indeed is a beauty I’m gonna put it in my bucket list

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Older thread, not sure if the OP is still looking.

I've found that "Dainish" stainless gravy bowls work fantastically. these have been around since the 50s and are easily sourced from most thrift shops for little to nothing in cost.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I have a number of bowls and scuttles and they all work fine. Lately however, I've been splitting time between the The Flaired edge Captains choice and the Timeless blue plastic bowl. I love both bowls but tend to use the Timeless when I'm using longer handled brushes or really large knots. Both are pretty indestructible and both make good travel bowls. I use the Timeless also when using metal handled brushes so they don't clink against the copper bowl. Almost any bowl will work fine but having a bowl you enjoy really adds to the experience.

Apologies, I couldn't find a relevant sub-forum.

Looking for a bowl that is fairly wide or a lower profile than most. I have large hands and it's a real struggle with the bowl I have currently.

I live in the UK, so preferably something local but if it's the right one then I'll consider anywhere.

Cheers!
Just get a cereal bowl or some castoff from your kitchen or a local flea market. No need to over think this.

I tried the fine accoutrements lather bowl and it pretty much has the same size dimensions as the large captain's choice lather bowls .

I did not like it at all because sides were not tall enough to contain the lather I was generating. I spent quite a lot of time just trying to keep the lather in the bowl, rather than mixing it.

After trying to make it work for several shaves, I began to wonder how they sold these things at all , or if maybe I was just doing something wrong. The sides being low did help me not to clink the brush against the bowl, but I would much rather have a container that held in my lather .

I finally spoke to someone about it and discovered what I think is the difference. I use badger brushes that are not all that big (22mm) but they do splay and take up most of the bowl's surface. That's what causes me to be prone to knock the lather out .

But the guy told me, and even shared a video with me of his technique , and he showed that he used smaller circles in the bowl , but mainly the issue was he was using a synthetic brush or a badger with lots of backbone. These types of brushes don't splay as much , and so there was less of an opportunity to shove the lather over the edge of the bowl.

I have large hands as well , and I would much rather be using my bowl that is about 5 1/2 inches in diameter and 2 3/8 inches deep .

Another thing is that the textured bottom became much lower on my priority list than the shape and size. Ripples will save you a little time , but not a lot. I would much rather have the right size and shape That would give me terrific lathers while I waited to find the perfect one .

Over the last couple of years, I have purchased about a dozen different shaped bowls in an effort to try to find the best Shape that I enjoy using.

I documented my efforts in a video that explains different shapes and some benefits and the advantages. it might give you some things to think about as you make your decision.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk
I use 24mm-28mm badgers in my Fine bowl all the time. At first I would spill some lather, but I mastered the bowl eventually and never had that problem after a couple of weeks. I have a Symmetrical Pottery Dottie bowl that is much deeper, but I'm going to try to sell it. The fine bowl seems like it should be gentler on my brushes, but to be honest I haven't used the Dottie bowl enough to really judge it.

Top Bottom