What's new

Bowl recommendation?

Apologies, I couldn't find a relevant sub-forum.

Looking for a bowl that is fairly wide or a lower profile than most. I have large hands and it's a real struggle with the bowl I have currently.

I live in the UK, so preferably something local but if it's the right one then I'll consider anywhere.

Cheers!

Get a pudding bowl or the like made by a potter in your area, or even get one thrown to your requirements. I find those with a slightly uneven interior surface create lather the quickest.
Alternatively, go to a charity shop and up a pick a bowl you like the look of, thus saving you money, supporting a good cause and getting something just as functional as a purpose-made shaving bowl, most of which I find are too small anyways.

Get a pudding bowl or the like made by a potter in your area, or even get one thrown to your requirements. I find those with a slightly uneven interior surface create lather the quickest.
Alternatively, go to a charity shop and up a pick a bowl you like the look of, thus saving you money, supporting a good cause and getting something just as functional as a purpose-made shaving bowl, most of which I find are too small anyways.

That's what I am hoping for, something with a bit of uneven or textured surface to help lathering. Just makes the process quicker.

Andriy is a great guy to work with. He's currently working on another bowl for me, which like you mentioned, will be toned down from what you see on his site. So yes, I'm sure he would be open to what you're looking for - plus his prices are great. If you do contact him, let him know that I referred you to him.

I own several bowls and scuttles but the only one I use now is the Captains choice heavy copper bowl. The only problem is the postage and import charges make it rather expensive here in the UK.

Apologies, I couldn't find a relevant sub-forum.

Looking for a bowl that is fairly wide or a lower profile than most. I have large hands and it's a real struggle with the bowl I have currently.

I live in the UK, so preferably something local but if it's the right one then I'll consider anywhere.

Cheers!
Something by Royal Doulton.

Keep looking in second-hand stores for a soup mug, latte mug, ramekin, prep bowl, salsa bowl, etc.

What size of brush do you typically use?
I usually use a 4.5" wide by 2.5" deep stainless steel bowl with most of my brushes because I like to float it in the sink of hot water.

A larger brush (like the Omega 49) would capsize the bowl so I also have a slightly larger earthenware bowl that sits beside the sink. It has spiral grooves on the inside.

I grabbed a few stainless steel rice bowls from a local Asian food market. I think it was like $2.50. I am thinking about gluing a few coins in it for texture.

I tried the fine accoutrements lather bowl and it pretty much has the same size dimensions as the large captain's choice lather bowls .

I did not like it at all because sides were not tall enough to contain the lather I was generating. I spent quite a lot of time just trying to keep the lather in the bowl, rather than mixing it.

After trying to make it work for several shaves, I began to wonder how they sold these things at all , or if maybe I was just doing something wrong. The sides being low did help me not to clink the brush against the bowl, but I would much rather have a container that held in my lather .

I finally spoke to someone about it and discovered what I think is the difference. I use badger brushes that are not all that big (22mm) but they do splay and take up most of the bowl's surface. That's what causes me to be prone to knock the lather out .

But the guy told me, and even shared a video with me of his technique , and he showed that he used smaller circles in the bowl , but mainly the issue was he was using a synthetic brush or a badger with lots of backbone. These types of brushes don't splay as much , and so there was less of an opportunity to shove the lather over the edge of the bowl.

I have large hands as well , and I would much rather be using my bowl that is about 5 1/2 inches in diameter and 2 3/8 inches deep .

Another thing is that the textured bottom became much lower on my priority list than the shape and size. Ripples will save you a little time , but not a lot. I would much rather have the right size and shape That would give me terrific lathers while I waited to find the perfect one .

Over the last couple of years, I have purchased about a dozen different shaped bowls in an effort to try to find the best Shape that I enjoy using.

I documented my efforts in a video that explains different shapes and some benefits and the advantages. it might give you some things to think about as you make your decision.

Sent from my phone using Tapatalk

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Captain's Choice lather bowls are pretty good. I have the rolled edge copper version and I like it very much. He has a sale on at the moment for some seconds ceramic bowls that have a minor colour defect. Worth a look.

Have a look at Steve Woodhead ceramics. He makes nice shaving bowls with throwing rings to assist lather making. I have one of his scuttles in teak.

Another vote for the Captains Choice copper bowls..I have the heavy version & love it. Ive tried 3 other bowls/scuttles now & this is hands down my favourite.

Some great suggestions!

Most any bowl of appropriate size will work. I would start by trying some from from the kitchen to establish precisely what you want. Then you can check housewares departments, thrift shops and the specialty shaving vendors.

The Captain's Choice brass bowl is just beautiful.

A cheap choice is the plastic salsa bowl from Walmart.

proxy.php

It is the perfect size, nearly indestructible and only a dollar.

Also in festive colors.
proxy.php

I use a suribachi bowl -- the ridged bowl from a Japanese mortar and pestle set. The ridges that help build lather may vary in depth from bowl to bowl, and I've heard some guys worry about damage to natural bristles, but I haven't had a problem with either boar or badger brushes. If interested, search the forums and you'll find a bit of discussion. For me, aesthetically and functionally, it's just about perfect.

Top Bottom