What's new

Bow Ties

Bow Ties

• Wear a Self-Tie Bow Tie (OMG even I don't know how tie a Bow Tie).

• Wear a Pre-Tied Adjustable Neck Band Bow Tie.

• Waer a Clip-On Bow Tie.

Results are only viewable after voting.
And as for the nay-sayers, I would say that wearing a bowtie is as anachronistic and un-cool as using a mid-century Fatboy or old straight razor to shave.:glare:
I feel your analogies are a bit off. There is a big difference between restoring a '57 Chevy and running around in a bow tie instead of a necktie for regular affairs.

A member above inadvertently said to the effect that most fashion garners controversy. The operative word here is fashion. Outside of more formal settings, it is purely fashion, and the wearer runs the big risk of not being taken seriously. That is the danger of the bow tie. For what it's worth, I wish that wasn't so. But it is.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Sorry to hear about the carpal tunnel. I don't know if they still carry them, but Saks used to sell Charvet pre-tieds that have the rakish, imperfect look I alluded to. (In fact, if you keep it on, no one will guess it was not self-tied). Not inexpensive by any means, but this would be my ideal pre-tied.

And as for the nay-sayers, I would say that wearing a bowtie is as anachronistic and un-cool as using a mid-century Fatboy or old straight razor to shave.:glare:

IF that photo is of a Charvet pre-tied, then I'd say it looks good enough to wear, unlike 100% ... er, I guess it's 99.999999% now ... of pre-tied bowties.

The difference between shaving old-school and bowties is, I don't go around town waving my fatboy at everyone. Wait, that sounded wrong. :blush:

I feel your analogies are a bit off. There is a big difference between restoring a '57 Chevy and running around in a bow tie instead of a necktie for regular affairs.

A member above inadvertently said to the effect that most fashion garners controversy. The operative word here is fashion. Outside of more formal settings, it is purely fashion, and the wearer runs the big risk of not being taken seriously. That is the danger of the bow tie. For what it's worth, I wish that wasn't so. But it is.

This is not something I concern myself with. I wear them all the time unless the dress calls for something more formal. It usually doesn't take long for most folks to take me seriously...at the least the ones that I care about. The rest can take a hike. I don't dress for them.

More power to any man who can carry off wearing a bow tie that is not part of formal wear. I do fedoras, sac suits, all sorts of trad wear but could never do a bow tie. Probably never will, but that is my weakness, no problem with the tie!!!

Very true. Apples and oranges

Outside of more formal settings, it is purely fashion, and the wearer runs the big risk of not being taken seriously. That is the danger of the bow tie. For what it's worth, I wish that wasn't so. But it is.

I beg to differ. I work in mid/upper management and depending on the day and the kind of meeting, I almost always wear a bow tie...I have yet to run across a situation when I am not taken seriously.

Bottom line (for me): It's not the bow tie, the tie or the suit. it's the person inside and how he carries himself. You can either come across as a Pee-wee Herman or W. Churchill. Depends on your confidence level and the image that you project. I look at the bow tie as a unique fashion statement...not many wear it these days, but if worn correctly, you can certainly exude confidence (and seriousness). I certainly receive a ton of compliments when I do wear one.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Very true. Apples and oranges

I beg to differ. I work in mid/upper management and depending on the day and the kind of meeting, I almost always wear a bow tie...I have yet to run across a situation when I am not taken seriously.

Bottom line (for me): It's not the bow tie, the tie or the suit. it's the person inside and how he carries himself. You can either come across as a Pee-wee Herman or W. Churchill. Depends on your confidence level and the image that you project. I look at the bow tie as a unique fashion statement...not many wear it these days, but if worn correctly, you can certainly exude confidence (and seriousness). I certainly receive a ton of compliments when I do wear one.
Robert:
I couldn't agree with you more...I work in US govenment upper management, and I can bet you, when I talk, I am taken very seriously and respected because it is all about my official position and level of authority I hold. :thumbup1:

Also, should I so decide to start wearing bow ties, it would look as another unique, distinctive and professional look / statement (hey...I even get great comments on the argyle socks I wear everyday), because as you so eloquently put it, "You can either come across as a Pee-wee Herman or [Sir], W[inston]. Churchill".

Christopher
proxy.php

It's not so much fashion as it is style, but I am being a bit semantic. I love bow ties but I wear them for social occasions.

Crixus does have a point. It is not easy to pull this off unless the office is somewhat formal in dress code and you have a degree of seniority, respect by others and sense of personal style.

Robert:
I couldn't agree with you more...I work in US govenment upper management, and I can bet you, when I talk, I am taken very seriously and respected because it is all about my official position and level of authority I hold. :thumbup1:

Also, should I so decide to start wearing bow ties, it would look as another unique, distinctive and professional look / statement (hey...I even get great comments on the argyle socks I wear everyday), because as you so eloquently put it, "You can either come across as a Pee-wee Herman or [Sir], W[inston]. Churchill".

Christopher
proxy.php

Amen Chris :thumbup:

Tying a bow tie is the same as tying your shoelaces. It's exactly the same knot (assuming you tie your shoelaces properly - I've read that most people don't, though they think they do.)

The trick is to adjust the length properly and tie it a good few times to bed it in. After that it almost ties itself.

How about the no tie? I'm notorious for not wearing any kind of noose around my neck. I can't begin to tell you how much I hate ties.

I started wearing a bow tie in high school, and I had to get one special ordered; none of the shops I went to carried them (or a wide variety of cufflinks for that matter).

Do you have trouble tying your shoes? If so, I would go for a clip on, because tying a bow tie is very similar to tying a bow on your shoelaces (with some obvious differences) edit:rajagra beat me to it.

I have to +1 everyone who says wearing a clip on or wrap around bow tie is tacky. I think you have three choices.

1)If you can tie a straight tie, get a tie bow tie instead, once you've learned how to tie it, the difference in difficulty will be negligible.

2)If you can't tie a tie at all, get a clip-on neck tie, they don't look as tacky.

3) Get an ascot and pull a Fred Jones (scooby doo) :thumbup1:
proxy.php

I started wearing a bow tie in high school, and I had to get one special ordered; none of the shops I went to carried them (or a wide variety of cufflinks for that matter).

Do you have trouble tying your shoes? If so, I would go for a clip on, because tying a bow tie is very similar to tying a bow on your shoelaces (with some obvious differences) edit:rajagra beat me to it.

I have to +1 everyone who says wearing a clip on or wrap around bow tie is tacky. I think you have three choices.

1)If you can tie a straight tie, get a tie bow tie instead, once you've learned how to tie it, the difference in difficulty will be negligible.

2)If you can't tie a tie at all, get a clip-on neck tie, they don't look as tacky.

3) Get an ascot and pull a Fred Jones (scooby doo) :thumbup1:
proxy.php

That is a nice ascot!

If you wear a bow tie, anyone under 50 will consider you a quirky eccentric who's out of touch with modern fashion.

Whether or not you care is a different question. You can say "I'll wear the clown shoes if I want to, I don't care what anyone thinks", but you have to be aware of the impression you're giving.

If you wear a bow tie, anyone under 50 will consider you a quirky eccentric who's out of touch with modern fashion.

Whether or not you care is a different question. You can say "I'll wear the clown shoes if I want to, I don't care what anyone thinks", but you have to be aware of the impression you're giving.

That's it sign me up, I don't care what other people think I make my own way.

Considering the state of modern fashion I would consider that a compliment.

Top Bottom