What's new

Bow Ties

Bow Ties

• Wear a Self-Tie Bow Tie (OMG even I don't know how tie a Bow Tie).

• Wear a Pre-Tied Adjustable Neck Band Bow Tie.

• Waer a Clip-On Bow Tie.

Results are only viewable after voting.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
I was just thinking, it might be good to change my look by wearing Bow Ties. One thing is it would save me time in the morning not having to tie a neck tie and at the same time give me a more distinguished (and scholarly???) apprearance.

When I was young, members of my league would frown :thumbdown: on wearing a bow tie in that there are only worn by grumby old professors and the like, but now...the more I see them worn (The 'Price is Right' host Drew Carey and 'Sunday Morning' Host Charles Osgood just to name a few), the more I like them. Call it a 'zen' momment...at a time for change is in order and 'just what the doctor ordered'.

Having said that, for thoses gentleman that do wear Bow ties, do you;

Christopher
proxy.php

Last edited:
If your aim is to look distinguished, your only choice is to tie it yourself.

Leaving it a tiny bit loose and slightly uneven looks far better than a tight, perfect knot. And people will know you can tie your own bow tie.:thumbup1:

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis

Leaving it a tiny bit loose and slightly uneven looks far better than a tight, perfect knot. And people will know you can tie your own bow tie.:thumbup1:
Masterkova:
Beacause my carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists is fairing not up to par, I would most likely wer a Pre-Tied Adjustable Neck Band Bow Tie. :thumbup:

Christopher
proxy.php

+1

I think if you wear a bow tie, it has to be self tied as a part of pulling it off.
Clip on ties look like clip on ties.

I am sorry the carpal tunnel may interfere with self tying. The tie you describe wearing puts me in the mind of car valets at fancy restaurants. Sorry.

I'm sorry about the carpal tunnel interfering with your bow-tying ability, but I'm not sure you will find much of a selection of pre-tied ties. I've only seen basic solid colors meant to be worn with formal clothes. And you do not want to wear those.

It isn't really any harder to tie a bow tie than a long tie. The only part involving real dexterity is in making the second bow, but once you get the hang of it, it's pretty easy.

A word of caution, bow ties look best on taller men. They make shorter, stouter men look shorter and stouter, whereas long ties elongate the torso. You also need a certain gravitas to pull off a bow tie, otherwise they are the equivalent of the Hawaiian shirt.

johnniegold

"Got Shoes?"
Self-tie is the way to go. I was attending a wedding where a slightly inebriated gent (with his clip-on tie undone) came up to me and wanted to know if my tie was "real" or a clip on. I indicated that is was in fact real. He reached out and pulled the bow and it became undone.

I had two choices. Punch him in the snozzola or re-do the tie right in front of him.

I chose the latter so as not to put a damper on the evening. It had the same effect as knocking him on his arse. :wink:

I hope this taught him two lessons:

1) Learn how to tie his own bow-tie.

2) Learn how to tie one on. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

if your aim is to look distinguished, your only choice is to
not wear one!

If you're not in formal dress wear, and I mean a tux or higher, or military mess dress, and you are more than eight years old, you should re-think it.

There was nowhere on your poll for my view, and in fairness you did ask for the opinions of those WHO DO wear bow ties, but there is a reason we don't see hardly ANY being worn. Those that do might be "trying too hard" to make a statement. Watch a couple of Andy Griffith re-runs and catch Barney and Thelma Lou at the big dance. Maybe that'll get it out of your system.

Sorry. I couldn't just let you go off the deep end without at least giving you a friendly man to man warning. It's mean out there. :wink2:

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
+1

I think if you wear a bow tie, it has to be self tied as a part of pulling it off.
Clip on ties look like clip on ties.

I am sorry the carpal tunnel may interfere with self tying. The tie you describe wearing puts me in the mind of car valets at fancy restaurants. Sorry.
+1.

As unfortunate as your carpal tunnel is, wearing a pre-tied just won't look good. Those things look cheap. I think you can probably get pre-tied 'regular' neckties that will look better than pre-tied bows, if your physical limitations require it.
Self-tie is the way to go. I was attending a wedding where a slightly inebriated gent (with his clip-on tie undone) came up to me and wanted to know if my tie was "real" or a clip on. I indicated that is was in fact real. He reached out and pulled the bow and it became undone.

I had two choices. Punch him in the snozzola or re-do the tie right in front of him.

I chose the latter so as not to put a damper on the evening. It had the same effect as knocking him on his arse. :wink:

I hope this taught him two lessons:

1) Learn how to tie his own bow-tie.

2) Learn how to tie one on. :rolleyes: :biggrin:

Perfect. I hope you retied it staring him in the eye all the time.

I would only wear one in a formal setting and it would be a self tie one...clip on bowties are like clip on ties...they don't look as classy.

not wear one!

If you're not in formal dress wear, and I mean a tux or higher, or military mess dress, and you are more than eight years old, you should re-think it.

Sorry. I couldn't just let you go off the deep end without at least giving you a friendly man to man warning. It's mean out there. :wink2:

Hahaha, this sounds like something my Dad would say, and I always make sure to not take fashion advice from him. :lol: (But to each their own!)

If you can do it right, a bow tie is fantastic. You have to be ready for the kind of attention it is going to get though, whether good or bad, and be confident with it. For everyone that is going to appreciate it, there are going to be those that do not. This is true with anything fashionable which is not commonly worn, which I would suggest is the case with MOST fashion items.

Best of luck. :thumbup:

Masterkova:
Beacause my carpal tunnel syndrome in both wrists is fairing not up to par, I would most likely wer a Pre-Tied Adjustable Neck Band Bow Tie. :thumbup:

Christopher
proxy.php

Sorry to hear about the carpal tunnel. I don't know if they still carry them, but Saks used to sell Charvet pre-tieds that have the rakish, imperfect look I alluded to. (In fact, if you keep it on, no one will guess it was not self-tied). Not inexpensive by any means, but this would be my ideal pre-tied.

And as for the nay-sayers, I would say that wearing a bowtie is as anachronistic and un-cool as using a mid-century Fatboy or old straight razor to shave.:glare:

Last edited:
I love bow ties, but only if I tie them myself. I hate the pre-tied or clip ons (turn off). Also, in the arena of self-tie bow ties, they are not created equal...there used to be a time when these things had quality written all over them...it is hard to find very well tailored and soft silk that has nice classic/professional designs. Most of the ones I have are from a few years back. haven't seen any these days that are worth my while though.

Top Bottom