What's new

Bow Ties

Bow Ties

• Wear a Self-Tie Bow Tie (OMG even I don't know how tie a Bow Tie).

• Wear a Pre-Tied Adjustable Neck Band Bow Tie.

• Waer a Clip-On Bow Tie.

Results are only viewable after voting.
I have a picture of myself taken by my parents on Christmas day 1959. I'm wearing suspenders and a bow tie. Some things never change!

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I have a picture of myself taken by my parents on Christmas day 1959. I'm wearing suspenders and a bow tie. Some things never change!

Ken, just to be clear, you ARE allowed to change into a different set of suspenders and bowtie.

Speaking of bow ties, as a part-time professional musician, I need to wear my tux maybe once a month. There is nothing that can look as cheap and "costumy" as a cheap, ill-fitting rented tuxedo with a stand-up collar shirt, cummerbund and a pre-tied tie. Looks like you went to the tux rental place that afternoon.

That being said, a good fitted tuxedo with a vest, a shirt with a regular collar and French cuffs, patent leather shoes and a real bow tie looks classy as hell. And, along with traditional wet-shaving, is a manly tradition that hasn't changed in generations. The way Robert Redford looked in Inside Daisy Clover and the way Sean Connery looked as 007 - that's the way to look in a tux. Or Dean Martin and Sinatra. I figure if I have to dress up for a gig, I'm going to look good.

They're hard to tie, though. I used to wear my pre-tied one, then at the end of the night, replace it with the real one untied with my collar open, as if I had had it on the whole time!

Two ends of the spectrum. :001_smile

And note which of the two is wearing the pre-tied.

I'm 35 and have been wearing bow ties nearly every business day for the last 7 years. I've no problem having people take me seriously even though I'm typically the youngest person in a meeting and almost always the only one with a bowtie. The bowtie has become my signature, however, and people tend to expect me to wear them literally all the time. That's a bit frustrating at times when I go tie-less or choose to wear a necktie for a change of pace.

Of course, quality clothing that is well tailored and in good condition helps emensely if you're going to go the bowtie route. Self-tie is the only way to go, although the pre-tied example earlier in the thread is well done.

Oh, and nothing beats a quality seersucker suit, bowtie and bucks in the summer months here in the south. I get more compliments on my dress those days than any other.

Last edited:
Two ends of the spectrum. :001_smile
I think the difference here though is the manner in which you carry yourself. In my opinion, Herman actually looks better in a suit and bow tie than Churchill. He has a good build for it, and pulls it off well. Winston is a little bigger and the small bow tie looks a little funny on his neck compared to his large head. But as we all know, the way in which the two carried themselves is entirely different. Preconceived notions will get you every time. It's all about having the attitude to make it work and owning it, rather than letting it define you. I hope this makes sense.

Top Bottom