What's new

Boveda humidity %

I bought a bunch of 72% packs and they have worked well in all of my humidors and never had mould. But some cigars have been hard to keep lit though.

But the next time around I will go with 65. Seems to be the perfect % to smoke right out of the humidor.

I use 62% for a different type of leaf but for cigars it is too dry iMO.

65 would be your best bet IMO.

Why not just follow what boveda suggests? I’m sure they had a bunch of scientists that are smarter than me come up with their guidelines. Also depends on what kind of humidor you’re putting them in. I followed their guidelines and have had zero issues with 69% rh
A87A9C1E-D435-40A1-9471-7B86ADD90FF4.png

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I am leaning to the lower end to avoid mold. Would 62% be too low? I think that or 65%.
Cigars will survive just fine at 60%, and even a hair lower than that before they start developing issues.

They will be ok at 62%.

But I think optimal is around 65%, not the 70% that magazine writers routinely push. 70% is too wet for me.

I’d go with 65. They’ll also smoke better.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
hmmm. You got me thinking I should keep my Cubans in a separate humidor with the 65% and all others with the 69%

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
Good, thanks all. 65% seems to be the one.

Bear in mind that mold doesn’t normally become a serious concern until you start drifting into the very high 70s. Once above 80%, problems develop.

Cigars are more hardy than most enthusiasts realize. They can rest anywhere between 55-75% RH without catastrophic consequences. They may not age or smoke the best at the extremes. But they won’t dry into tasteless dust or grow into black sticks of death, either.

We all strive for the ‘sweet spot’ for best aging and smokeability. I would give no worry to being a few points off from the optimum you decide on.

Three percent is less than the real-world calibration precision of many hygrometers.

Columbo

Mr. Codgers Neighborhood
I've had some samples of pipe tobacco need humidification.

Same. The cure for those is to drop a fresh 69% Boveda shipper’s pack into the mason jar with them. Might take a few weeks to a month to get results. And it may not bring back any lost flavor. But it keeps it stable going forward.

I‘ve found direct misting too uneven a method in those situations.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I've had some samples of pipe tobacco need humidification.

Ah, well there is definitely that. But in otherwise smokable tobacco at decent moisture levels Bovedas aren’t necessary in my opinion, tho admittedly I can’t imagine it would do any harm either :).

Ah, well there is definitely that. But in otherwise smokable tobacco at decent moisture levels Bovedas aren’t necessary in my opinion, tho admittedly I can’t imagine it would do any harm either :).
Once you use it in a particular blend you’re kinda stuck using it that one, or something stronger. I assume that they would take on the flavor of the baccy. Wouldn’t want to use it in a latakia heavy blend, and then use it in an aromatic.....or vice versa, again assuming here.

Top Bottom