What's new

Bourbon Thieves? Say It Isn't So!

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
Say what :a47:...bourbon thieves (i.e., bandits)
proxy.php

No, come on now...you're joking right?
proxy.php

Nine indicted in thefts of bourbon from Wild Turkey and Buffalo Trace, including rare Pappy.

Frankfort, KY - 22 April 15

By Janet Patton and Greg Kocher

"Nine people allegedly responsible for well over $100,000 in bourbon thefts, including ultra-rare Pappy Van Winkle, were indicted Tuesday in Franklin Circuit Court.

At least 18 barrels of bourbon from Wild Turkey in Anderson County and Buffalo Trace in Frankfort have been recovered by authorities, who also found 25 bottles of various labels of Pappy Van Winkle, also taken from Buffalo Trace Distillery.

The case has drawn national attention and is likely to get even bigger, officials said at a news conference in front of an array of containers — jugs, quart jars, unlabeled bottles, wooden barrels and at least one stainless steel barrel — all filled with bourbon.

Much more is out there, they said. The thefts date to at least 2008.

"This is just the tip of the iceberg," said Franklin County Sheriff Pat Melton. "As you can see, we've got a lot of bourbon up here."

Melton said the high-profile theft in 2013 of 195 bottles of 20-year-old Pappy Van Winkle and 27 bottles of Pappy Van Winkle rye was linked to a mushrooming case of thefts of bourbon barrels discovered across the state — including five in Laurel County and an unspecified number from Harrison and Scott counties.

Melton said more indictments are possible. Warrants were being prepared Tuesday to arrest nine people, who could be arraigned this week.

Attorneys for some defendants had contacted authorities to arrange surrender, Melton said".

proxy.php

Recovered Pappy Van Winkle bourbon was displayed at the Franklin County Sheriff's Office during the announcement that nine people have been indicted as alleged members of a whiskey-theft ring that stole rare Pappy Van Winkle and other kinds of bourbon.

Read More: http://www.kentucky.com/2015/04/21/3811973_prosecutors-9-indicted-in-whiskey.html?rh=1

proxy.php
Oh my, what have we become? Has a 'purported' bourbon shortage (http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/435956-A-Bourbon-Shortage-Say-It-Ain-t-so!?p=6925127&highlight=#post6925127),
produced such panic that it turned people (for profit no doubt), to pander in crime for this spirit?

Go figure, huh? :001_rolle

proxy.php

proxy.php
"Keep your friends close and your bourbon closer" Old Bourbon Proverb

Last edited:

Mike H

Instagram Famous
I have a barrel from buffalo trace, but it was empty when I bought it. You can purchase a full barrel of bourbon if you have 9000 to spend

When I heard this story on NPR yesterday afternoon, all I could think was man, this is like a movie...I'd call it Bourbon Barons. Maybe I just need to write it before someone else has the idea...

Wow. Hard to refute that evidence. Wonder why those guys didn't decant the stuff and sell it on the QT. What were they doing with all that bourbon if they weren't going to drink it?

Top Bottom