What's new

Bourbon tasting

So I have a group of buddies coming for a tasting on Saturday. I do this fairly often for scotch, have a group over, show them a range of scotch's and go over the differences between them. I'm the resident know it all for this kind of stuff.

Now my buddies have asked me to do a bourbon tasting. My knowledge of bourbon is sorely lacking, I enjoy some good makers now and then mind you. That's about the extent of my bourbon knowledge.

So with that said let's hear your recommendations! I'll probably attempt to pick up 8-10 different bottles.

Bourbons according to $$$$$

low end: corner creek
middle of the road: woodford reserve, four rose
high end: pappy van winkle

Like any drinks, they're all arbitrary. Sometimes, I like $10 blended scotch from Trader Joe's. It's the easiest drinking scotch I ever had.

Your bourbon tasting could be every bit as complex as any scotch tour. Starting with the basics though, are you planning to include blends or only single-barrel varieties?

Four Roses Yellow Label
Four Roses Small Batch - compare to Yellow Label
Johnny Drum (Green Label or Black Label) - My favorite "cheap" bourbon
Old Forester - example of a wheated bourbon
Eagle Rare
EH Taylor Small Batch - my favorite "expensive" bourbon

Well!

i would get a bottle of Bookers! It is straight from the barrel not cut and is one of the best. It is hot but 124 - 127 proof will do that. But that is where all bourbons are supposed to start right out of the barrel. No hotter no less. You will taste the oak and char.

Makers is one of the sweeter ones.

Knob Creek is a good one to have in a tasting. 90 proof pretty hot and oakey.

Basil Hayden is one of my top three. Little more rye than others and cut to 80 proof.

defiantly get some White Dog. Jim Beam has one that just came out called Marley's Ghost or somebody's ghost. This is how all bourbon starts before barrel. The barrel adds color and flavor. So start with this one and build from there.

Woodford is a good bourbon.

Old Forester (my staple sipping bourbon)

Pogue very good but on the high $ side.

Eagle Rare

Four Roses Single barrel has a hint of nutmeg and is very tasty.

Blanton's has a little but of the peat flavor so for scotch drinkers it will be a good crossover.

then young bourbons:

Jim Beam, Old Grandad (Bonded) is young Basil Hayden), Old Charter (8 year old is all they have now used to have 10 year) is same as Eagle Rare), and Buffalo Trace.

Depending on where you live, it may be tough to find some of these. I live in bourbon country so have a huge selection. Look at ages, proofs, rye content, and distiller company mix it up a little but I would start with the white to compare to the aged. I would also have Bookers too for the straight out of barrel flavor.

Sounds like fun, wish I could be there with. I have a buddy here in Louisville named Bernie Lubbers that wrote a book on bourbon. A ton of great information, you might check it out. His website has some great information too, http://www.whiskeyprof.com.

This sounds like a lot of fun! I just started getting into bourbon, so I may not be much help. You could always ask your local liquor store for ideas. You'll definately want an example of a wheated and high rye bourbon. I also like the idea of including an "unaged" variety as well.

Just from my limited (but growing) views, I'd pick up a bottle of Four Roses Small Batch (sweet bourbon), Woodford Reserve ("spicy" bourbon), and Eagle Rare. I'm currently drinking Eagle Rare, and was thinking of posting a review on it. I find it to be neither sweet nor spicy, but "oaky". I also like Wild Turkey 101, so that's an option as well.

Since you are all unfamiliar with bourbon and they asked for a bourbon tasting, maybe they should each come with a bottle? This way they can explain what caught their eye about their choice (bottle, label, description, proof, reputation, etc).

No matter what, hope you have a good time and I'm curious to see what you liked.

I wish I had a buddy who held liquor tastings!
Since you are all unfamiliar with bourbon and they asked for a bourbon tasting, maybe they should each come with a bottle? This way they can explain what caught their eye about their choice (bottle, label, description, proof, reputation, etc).

No matter what, hope you have a good time and I'm curious to see what you liked.

Seems like a great idea.

I'll be picking up most of the bottles so there's no duplicates. On a side note I'll be BBQ'n. Everything will have a bourbon kick to it. Texan chili with bourbon for a hint of sweetness. Bourbon braised chicken and leeks with black bean sauce. And finally a pulled pork with bourbon BBQ sauce that I'll be making today.

I like the bourbon choices you guys have laid out, sound like a good well rounding!

Woodford Reserve
Booker's
Knob Creek
Blanton's
Lexington
Basil Hayden

Can't go wrong with any of these.

why not throw in a rye, too. Bulliett is nice and not too costly.

I'll be picking up most of the bottles so there's no duplicates. On a side note I'll be BBQ'n. Everything will have a bourbon kick to it. Texan chili with bourbon for a hint of sweetness. Bourbon braised chicken and leeks with black bean sauce. And finally a pulled pork with bourbon BBQ sauce that I'll be making today.

I like the bourbon choices you guys have laid out, sound like a good well rounding!

Dude, you got any friend spot openings?

My neighborhood crew does bourbon nights from time to time (only a few of us truly enjoy it though) but to combine that with an all out plethora of bourbon based foods is incredible. Sure beats the 8 different kinds of prepackaged dips from kroger.

You sir are doing it right.

There are so many great bourbons for such a reasonable price. I love Jim Beam Black as a good go to. For a cheap, Benchmark 8 (made by Buffalo Trace) is a great cheap bourbon. It just won gold in LA, and Silver in San Fran. Buffalo Trace and Bulleit are great too. They are made with rye so they'll be spicier up front. My favorite right now is Breckenridge Bourbon. I love that stuff, but it's pricier. About $40-$50 a bottle around here. Wild Turkey 101 is also good. Like I said, for under $20 there are lots of great choices.

There are so many great bourbons for such a reasonable price. I love Jim Beam Black as a good go to. For a cheap, Benchmark 8 (made by Buffalo Trace) is a great cheap bourbon. It just won gold in LA, and Silver in San Fran. Buffalo Trace and Bulleit are great too. They are made with rye so they'll be spicier up front. My favorite right now is Breckenridge Bourbon. I love that stuff, but it's pricier. About $40-$50 a bottle around here. Wild Turkey 101 is also good. Like I said, for under $20 there are lots of great choices.

I just picked up Benchmark a few days ago. This might be my new daily pour! Something about the finish that I really like. And at $18 for a 1.75 its a bargain.

I just picked up Benchmark a few days ago. This might be my new daily pour! Something about the finish that I really like. And at $18 for a 1.75 its a bargain.

Yeah, I always have a 1.75 on hand. You can't beat it for the price. And it does have a really nice finish. I have about 7 or 8 bourbons at the moment and there are definitely nights when I want a Benchmark.

I've been liking....
Buffalo Trace
Evan Williams Single Barrel Vintage

You could try to get representative bourbons based on mash bill, price points, and/or one from each distillery. I read a great article the other day online (dang'd if I can find it though), about who outsources their distillation and who uses their own distilleries. Not that one can't distill great bourbon at someone else's distillery, just interesting.

This list might be helpful.
http://recenteats.blogspot.com/p/the-complete-list-of-american-whiskey.html

You might try each in an Old Fashioned or Manhattan as well as sipping each. I mean, it's a great opportunity to find each participant's favorite for each purpose if I may be so bold.

Last edited:
Excellent idea and a good list of suggestions. I'd toss in George Dickel #12 (not technically a bourbon) because I think it is a good performer at the price point--and because I am a fan.

I've always thought I'd try a different kind of bourbon tasting some day. First tasting would be cheap bourbon (say, under $15 or $20). The winner (or winners if they were highly rated and close) would advance to the second tasting, which would be mid-price bourbons (say under $35 or so). Then the best would also be tasted alongside higher-end bourbons, and so on. Finally the one (or few) winners from that round would go against a sampling of ultra high-end stuff (no price limit). I'd love to see how that plays out. Now if I can only find someone to fund this boondoggle.

Pappy Van Winkle? Do you have kidney or other major organ you can offer in trade?

Seriously. I was given a bottle of the Van Winkle Lot B (90 proof) several years ago, but that was only about $50-$60 at the time. I think Pappy is well above $100 if you can find it. I saw a bottle in a local liquor store once, a few years ago.

Top Bottom