What's new

Bourbon recommendations for a Scotch guy

I have been stocking up on my favorite scotches recently. Not sure if it’s tariffs or not but my favorite Lagavulan 16 price jumped from $65 to $90! I’ve been thinking of expanding my tastes to bourbon and possibly cognac. A neighbor poured me some cognac and I enjoyed it. I’ve never really delved into bourbon much. I’m looking for something that’s not super sweet that has vanilla notes and possibly under $50. Something sip worthy as I don’t do mixed drinks much. reading reviews at total wine and BevMo sites has been interesting but would like some more guidance.

My scotch collection consists of speyside , highlands and Islay malts.

nortac

"Can't Raise an Eyebrow"
I would recommend Woodford Reserve Double Oaked and Four Roses Single Barrel. I don't think they are too sweet. My go to scotch is Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, slightly sweet by my palate, maybe too sweet by yours?

I would recommend Woodford Reserve Double Oaked and Four Roses Single Barrel. I don't think they are too sweet. My go to scotch is Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban, slightly sweet by my palate, maybe too sweet by yours?

Four roses single barrel is great.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I went the opposite route, from bourbon into scotch recently. I started with and am still enjoying Glenmorangie 10. I actually find it a bit smoother than the bourbons I enjoy, which surprised me.

The bourbons I enjoy are Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace, both good value, smooth sips to me served with an ice cube and splash of water, or neat.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I went the opposite route, from bourbon into scotch recently. I started with and am still enjoying Glenmorangie 10. I actually find it a bit smoother than the bourbons I enjoy, which surprised me.

The bourbons I enjoy are Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace, both good value, smooth sips to me served with an ice cube and splash of water, or neat.
Glenmorangie is an excellent choice!

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
A big +1 on the Evan Williams Bottled in Bond. I can get it for around $13, but you'd think it was a $30 bottle (or more). It's corn for miles, with a bit of rye for spice and a bit of malted barley to round it all out and give a nice depth. It's become our house mixing bourbon, but I'm also happy to sip it.

+1 on Woodford Reserve and Four Roses Single Barrel, too. Heck, the Four Roses yellow label ain't bad at all.

Wild Turkey 101 is hard to beat for the value, too. Quite tasty. Don't let any reputation keep you away.

For something a bit sweeter but still in an easy price range, Maker's Mark ain't at all bad.

And, I must say that I had good opportunity just this weekend to be reminded just how good ol' Jim Beam White is. A damned fine one. Of course, stepping up along that line also won't be a mistake.

Bulleit is my go to, Buffalo Trace is a favorite also. I made the switch from Scotch to Bourbon 10 years ago and never looked back.

Gonna have to agree with a lot of folk here and put up another vote for Evan Williams Bottled In Bond. It punches way above its weight in terms of quality for your dollar and of the stuff I have tried it is my favorite.

Thanks for all the recommendations. I’ve been eyeing some mentioned. I probably won’t ever fall out of love with single malts. I just want to expand my bar and find some good American whiskey that I can enjoy.

I ran into a dad I know at a 4-H event this weekend who has an extensive bourbon collection. He’s invited me over so he can educate me. How could I say no to that? He also raises hogs and loves to smoke all kinds of porky products. our wives get along well so I will have a designated driver.

The easier entry points for a new bourbon drinker seem to be the wheated bourbons, such as Makers Mark. Woodford Reserve seems easily accessible, too. Whistle Pig is very smooth for a rye.

tankerjohn

A little poofier than I prefer
Thanks for all the recommendations. I’ve been eyeing some mentioned. I probably won’t ever fall out of love with single malts. I just want to expand my bar and find some good American whiskey that I can enjoy.

I ran into a dad I know at a 4-H event this weekend who has an extensive bourbon collection. He’s invited me over so he can educate me. How could I say no to that? He also raises hogs and loves to smoke all kinds of porky products. our wives get along well so I will have a designated driver.
So how did the bourbon edj-a-macation go? Any favorites?

Top Bottom