What's new

Bourbon drinker looking to try scotch

I don't drink liquor anymore because I am allergic to it. It makes me break out in handcuffs.

But I preferred Famous Grouse and JW Red. I drank Dewars for years but JW moved me off of it. If you find you can't deal with the peat, try a Rusty Nail (Scotch with a touch of Drambuie).

A rusty nail is definitely on my list of cocktails to try someday. Sorry about the allergic reaction. Is there a pill for that? :)

brandaves

With a great avatar comes great misidentification
Scotch is not "better" than bourbon, its all a matter of taste. Bourbon is almost always sweeter by comparison, due to the requirement that it be at least 51% corn mash. I have always preferred bourbon to scotch, partially because I was born and raised in Kentucky but also I just like it better. Another major plus side to bourbon is the price. Even the most high end bourbons can usually be had for no more than a couple hundred dollars most between fifty and a hundred. Scotch on the other hand...well, lets just say you can spend about as much as you want. I like that I can pay $40 for a bottle and know that it isn't bottom shelf dribble. All this being said, to each their own. Best thing to do is to taste for yourself and see what you like best.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
Actually wasnt necessarily that I didn't check for them. Unfortunately Oregon seems to be pretty high with its liquor prices. The glenfiddich was 25 and the chivas was 28. Bout everything else was over 30. Some of the recommendations such as glenlivet were in the 50s. As a beginner, really just wanted to try something a bit cheaper. Guess would have been nice to find smaller bottles.

Prices really vary depending on the local taxes. I always get a chuckle out of guys talking about how expensive a given bottle is at $50, when it's $80--100 here. Lagavulin 16? $120+ here. Ouch.

Prices really vary depending on the local taxes. I always get a chuckle out of guys talking about how expensive a given bottle is at $50, when it's $80--100 here. Lagavulin 16? $120+ here. Ouch.

+1.

Ditto for the "oh no my bourbon is $5 more expensive" thread. :lol:

I seen that Lagavulin 12, Lagavulin 16, Laphroaig 10 were mentioned....those were the first that I tried and they were way different from anything I had ever tasted at that point..i went in unprepared and I was very surprised. lol. to me it was like drinking tobacco, leather and smoke. it was good in a manly way, and none of my friends could stomach it. one actually puked.

off topic edit: nice avatar Doc4.

I went the other direction. I was a devout Scotch drinker, then decided to try some bourbons. I've found them to be every bit as nuanced as Scotch, and I liked that I was supporting USA businesses. Also, the wife and I enjoy vacationing in Kentucky and visiting the distilleries.

That said, there is nothing wrong with variety! Enjoy your foray into Scotch!

I went the other direction. I was a devout Scotch drinker, then decided to try some bourbons. I've found them to be every bit as nuanced as Scotch, and I liked that I was supporting USA businesses. Also, the wife and I enjoy vacationing in Kentucky and visiting the distilleries.

Still have a good few favorite bourbons, but now that I've gotten to try several scotches I can say that I really like the smokey taste of them better!

I started down the bourbon path a few months ago. I've been enjoying a bottle of Bakers and a Woodford Reserve double oaked. I really like the the Bakers and am surprised that something 107 proof is so smooth.

I like most bourbon neat. Not shots, just no ice, no water, sip. Bulliet is my favorite right now, and it's not bad on ice either. But scotch I have a method. Two glasses, one neat scotch, one ice water. And I need a spoon. First, sip the scotch neat. Then pull an ice cube out with a spoon and let a few drops of water fall into the scotch glass. Sip. Drinking water in between each sip, I gradually accelerate this process until I eventually put first one, then two whole ice cubes in my scotch glass. By the time the scotch is done it's mostly water.

My favorite scotches are all peaty. Lagavulin 16, and Talisker 10 are my top two that I've tried. I always buy bottles because trying scotch at bars ends up costing almost as much as a bottle, and I've never met a scotch I don't like. Macallan 12 is easily accessible, as is Glenmorangie, in any of its forms. Glenfidditch I found to be a little.. chalky.. That's not quite right, but there's something about it that I won't drink it anymore. I'd much rather have a cheaper blended scotch like Dewars white label or honestly, Cutty Sark.

As as an aside, an excellent bourbon on a budget is Four Roses. Very good, and depending on where you live, not much more than half the price of bulliet or makers mark.

Top Bottom