What's new

Bourbon drinker looking to try scotch

The Macallan 12 year old.

"This Speyside has a deliciously smooth palate, with notes of rich dried fruits and sherry balanced with wood smoke and spice."

Last edited:
I've spent thirty years being a single malt snob...mostly Glenfiddich or Oban.

We've recently had two families move to town from Scotland. Both of them drink Famous Grouse, a blend.

I'm converted. Grouse is softer, more gentle, more honey-like than the others.

I'm in the same boat as you. I'm relatively experienced Bourbon drinker and deciding to try to get into scotch after my dad bought me a sampler of some fine scotches. From a beginners point of view, I would say pick up a bottle of The Glenlivet 12. Its one of the better bargains for a single malt out there. Its also not peaty and while there's nothing special about it. It's smooth and sweet(much like bourbon). It should cost you about $25-35 dollars for a bottle.

Other suggestions Glenmorangie 10 a little more expensive than Glenlivet but better. Its a crisp/clean, sweet Speyside. Iv'e heard its the most popular single malt in Scotland(but not as well known across the world).

Macallan 12 would be another good one to check out. Its aged in sherry casks and very easy to drink for a beginner in my opinion.
+1

Got to try the glenfiddich last night. Wow. Was not expecting it to taste that good. Pretty lousy with tastes, but will try to give a simple review. The nose of it was pretty sweet smelling, smelled a bit fruity. On first taste, wow, it was really sweet tasting. Was also able to taste the smoke once the sweetness calmed down. On the second try I can definitely pick up the fruit and burnt sugar tasting, but then the smoke rushes right in behind it(I take this as being the peat taste). Seemed to finish and linger with the smoke taste. Nice warming feeling at the end. I had no problem at all finishing up my glass. Really good stuff and makes me pretty interested to try the chivas some time!

I think Glenfiddich 12 is a great single malt scotch to start with.

Here is a chart to give you an idea on where you stand taste-wise.

Glenfiddich is on the middle line on the righthand side of the chart.

proxy.php

I think Glenfiddich 12 is a great single malt scotch to start with.

Here is a chart to give you an idea on where you stand taste-wise.

Glenfiddich is on the middle line on the righthand side of the chart.

That is an awesome chart and will definitely be saved future reference. I am new to scotch and am currently drinking Auchentoshan Classic, which I like so far. Found it in the bottom right which makes me curious to try out the other corners and then work my way towards the middle. The only other scotch I have tried is Monkey Shoulder, which I didn't see on this graph. Anybody know where this would fall?

Thanks

A couple things of note, blends will be smoother
than single malts, as they have several distilleries'
offerings in them. if you are on a budget, not many
single malts will fit the bill. Glenfiddich (which youve
tried) is a good starter s.m. As suggested, Glenmorangie
10 (now called original) is also a great malt for the price.
Glenmorangie, however is not a Speyside, it's a north
highland malt.

Frank, thanks for posting the image. I am interested in trying some scotch, particularly something on the "peaty" side. My only hang up has been the $$. I can get some pretty damn good bourbon for around $30. Seems I'd need to step it up to find a decent scotch at that price.

Frank, thanks for posting the image. I am interested in trying some scotch, particularly something on the "peaty" side. My only hang up has been the $$. I can get some pretty damn good bourbon for around $30. Seems I'd need to step it up to find a decent scotch at that price.

Not at all, unless you'rte stuck on only trying a single malt. There are several good blends around the $30 range. My current favoroite blned is Monkey Shoulder. It goes for about $35. Although it's not a peat-bomb if that's what your really looking for.

Not at all, unless you'rte stuck on only trying a single malt. There are several good blends around the $30 range. My current favoroite blned is Monkey Shoulder. It goes for about $35. Although it's not a peat-bomb if that's what your really looking for.

+1 on Monkey Shoulder. From what I've heard, Bowmore's budget Islay (the one that doesn't show the age) is supposed to be pretty decent also. Then again, you can easily find 12 year Islays for around $45.

Very cool pic there! Made sure to save it right when I saw it. Has a good few that I'm up to try next. Still say that I really like the glenfiddich. Tried the chivas and it is pretty good itself. Really wanting to try monkey shoulder next!

Glad you found it useful.

You might want to try some Black Grouse. It's a blended whisky with some peat, but if I recall, not too much.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/P-8819.aspx

Depends what you are looking for.

Balvenie Caribbean Cask, or Double Wood. Would be 2 initial recommendations for a bourbon drinker.
If you are looking for Sherry Glendronach or Macallan.
For Peat. Laphroaig Quarter Cask, Ardbeg or Lagavulin.
Something a little more balanced from a flavor profile Pick something from Highland Park or Balvenie both are great.
Something special Highland Park 18 is very, very good...

Depends what you are looking for.

Balvenie Caribbean Cask, $72.00 or Double Wood $54.00 (12 YO). Would be 2 initial recommendations for a bourbon drinker.
If you are looking for Sherry Glendronach $60.00 or Macallan $50.00 (12 YO).
For Peat. Laphroaig Quarter Cask $66.00, Ardbeg or Lagavulin.
Something a little more balanced from a flavor profile Pick something from Highland Park or Balvenie both are great.
Something special Highland Park 18 is very, very good...

These are all fine drams, but the OP asked for recommendations in the $20.00 to $30.00 range. I inserted some prices from Bevmo (in California) in red above.

These are all fine drams, but the OP asked for recommendations in the $20.00 to $30.00 range. I inserted some prices from Bevmo (in California) in red above.
Actually after seeing recommendations here and browsing the local liquor stores here in Portland, think I've abandoned looking in the 20-30 range. Scotch just seems to target the 30-45 range to get a decent one. But that's still not too bad.

Actually after seeing recommendations here and browsing the local liquor stores here in Portland, think I've abandoned looking in the 20-30 range. Scotch just seems to target the 30-45 range to get a decent one. But that's still not too bad.

I really do not intend to be argumentative, but have you tried any of the suggestions in the $20-30 range? What was it about the recommendations you refer to and your browsing in liquor stores that persuaded you that there were no "decent" choices in that price range?

Of course, you are free to drink whatever you like, but I believe that our own experience should dictate what we like. Suggestions are just suggestions. They do not require any particular action.

I really do not intend to be argumentative, but have you tried any of the suggestions in the $20-30 range? What was it about the recommendations you refer to and your browsing in liquor stores that persuaded you that there were no "decent" choices in that price range?

Of course, you are free to drink whatever you like, but I believe that our own experience should dictate what we like. Suggestions are just suggestions. They do not require any particular action.
Actually wasnt necessarily that I didn't check for them. Unfortunately Oregon seems to be pretty high with its liquor prices. The glenfiddich was 25 and the chivas was 28. Bout everything else was over 30. Some of the recommendations such as glenlivet were in the 50s. As a beginner, really just wanted to try something a bit cheaper. Guess would have been nice to find smaller bottles.

Scotches -- even the "mild" ones are still a majorly different taste than bourbon. That's not bad, of course, but they can be a shock to the tastebuds if all you've had is bourbons.
A good stepping stone is Irish Whisky -- they have some of the characteristics of scotch, while still having some of the familiar whiskey flavors you're comfortable with from American whiskies.
I personally recommend Bushmill's Black ("Black Bush").

+1

Aberlour - Got this for my father years ago. (I was mostly a Bourbon drinker then). He said it was a great Scotch for someone that liked Bourbon. Started my single malt habit.

Actually wasnt necessarily that I didn't check for them. Unfortunately Oregon seems to be pretty high with its liquor prices. The glenfiddich was 25 and the chivas was 28. Bout everything else was over 30. Some of the recommendations such as glenlivet were in the 50s. As a beginner, really just wanted to try something a bit cheaper. Guess would have been nice to find smaller bottles.

Those prices seem great to me. In NY, for a 750ml, you can expect to pay around $32 for the Chivas, and most of the single-malt 10-12 year options start in the $35-40 area. If I buy scotch, I will usually opt for the Dewar's white label 1.75ml, as I can get that for $37. I think it was on vacation in North Carolina a couple years back that I picked up a bottle of the Dewar's 12-year for less than the white label would cost in NY.

Top Bottom