What's new

Bought some new straights in Sweden

Home in Sweden on vacation and I managed to pick up a couple of straights - 10 to be exact.. 2 are impossible to restore, but with ivory scales while 6 are good objects for retire. I will share those on pics when I am back in Hong Kong.

In a antique store i found these two for 30US each. Not cheap, but considering the condition I think its quite good price. One is a Heljestrand while the other is a German brand, Kronenadler, that I know absolutely nothing about. If anyone have information about that one id be grateful, same of course regarding the Heljestrand. My guess is that both are pretty new razors since they do not seem to have any marks from the hone.

Attachments

• $IMG_0576.jpg
    $IMG_0576.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 248
  • $IMG_0661.jpg
    $IMG_0661.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 243
  • $IMG_0663.jpg
    $IMG_0663.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 246
Nice score I really like the second one. It looks like it could be even better if that crack was turned into a barber notch like in the TI Oak Wing.

Yes I already have one Fake frameback from Jens, and among the restores there is one real frameback and one Mk 2... I will have a lot of fun ahead of me!

You will love that Heljestrand. Tom just honed one for me and it was perfect!

Last edited:
Pics of the rest coming next week when I am back in hong kong. These were the ones in good shape and I was curious to see if there were any info about the german one.

Noone with any info about the Kronenadler? I never heard about it and it looks as if it is not very old. Scales seem to be acrylic.

Noone with any info about the Kronenadler? I never heard about it and it looks as if it is not very old. Scales seem to be acrylic.

Kronenadler translates to Crown and Eagle. I've seen several Crown and Eagle razors (same logo), but no definitive answer as to who makes them. There has been some speculation that they're an Ern razor. I'd guess 1930's to 40's and celluloid scales but I've been wrong before. :001_tongu
Svenskt Silberstal translates to Swedish Silver Steel.
Nice razors.

Honed them both today with my Shapton set, 1k to 15k and finessed with some of Kens pastes. I
My test shave with the Kronenadler was a pleasant surprise in more than one way
First - that I managed to put a real nice edge on it all by myself :)
Second - that it was a very nice shave indeed. To be honest I did not have high expectations but it swept down on the whiskers like an Eagle on a mouse ;)

Tomorrow its time for the Heljestrand...

Heljestrand is a nice shaver - no surprise there of course.
Ill probably send this to Tom for the ultimate edge ;)

Honed them both today with my Shapton set, 1k to 15k and finessed with some of Kens pastes. I
My test shave with the Kronenadler was a pleasant surprise in more than one way
First - that I managed to put a real nice edge on it all by myself :)
Second - that it was a very nice shave indeed. To be honest I did not have high expectations but it swept down on the whiskers like an Eagle on a mouse ;)

Tomorrow its time for the Heljestrand...

Nice razors and analogy.

That Helje will become a light-sabre if you send it out for a deluxe 0.125µ treatment.
That steel the blade is marked with "Söderfors Extra Specialstål" is really something else.
Actually one of the few steels that weren't just a marketing gimmick, but actually a patented formula invented by Söderfors Bruk.
Contained over 1% carbon & some other alloys. Very hard, kind of finicky, but as long as you play nice with it, it is capable of the most stupendous edge.
Heljestrand used it as well as JA Hellberg & they are equally good.
I've also seen knifes by Pontus Holmberg et. al that used it. The Holmberg I own is just ridiculous, the only other knifes I have that can rival it is Japanese kitchen knifes made out of Hitatchi White Steel.
You're in for a treat :yesnod: (And so is Tom :biggrin: )

I was going to tell you that the Heljestrand was probably a good steal at $30 US but I think honed just said it better than I ever could. I think you did well with your acquisitions. Heljestrands aren't inexpensive over here from what I've seen (on the bay)

Top Bottom