What's new

Bought my "grail" razor, not in expected condition. What now?

Can you find a picture to see how the underneath of the base plate looks like?

I can't find better at the moment.
P03yd5r.jpg

I can't find better at the moment.
View attachment 1441418
With that plastic try in the middle, I think this one needs some special blades different than the ones shown above. It's a nice looking razor though. I've recently got a Segal adjustable, which is considered to be rare by some folks, but I think it's more like uncommon than rare and I have to print a blade template and use it to cut DE blades to fit in, otherwise it's unusable.

R

romsitsa

Most Declics take unmodified blades and they very-very-very rarely come up for sale.

Very rare? I just found at least 5 on the bay going for $15-$20 each. Most folks use the term ''rare razor'' a lot, while in fact 99% of the razors are either common or uncommon at best. A Bottom Dial Fatboy for instance is a rare razor.
Maybe it was meant that it is very rare that folks pay more than $15 -$20 for these razors.😁

Maybe it was meant that it is very rare that folks pay more than $15 -$20 for these razors.😁
I suppose the one with the metal handle is indeed more rare compared to the other ones. What I was trying to say is that people these days call everything that isn't super common a rare find. What I consider rare is something that only 2-3 people out of the whole shaving forum own it. Many concider the Toggle and the Tech Hybrid rare as well, but most vintage collectors here own or used to own more than one of each. I also don't mean to offend anyone or mock him for what he likes or want's, but most razors are made by the hundreds of thousands and very few are truly worthy of the title "rare".

R

romsitsa

I suppose the one with the metal handle is indeed more rare compared to the other ones. What I was trying to say is that people these days call everything that isn't super common a rare find. What I consider rare is something that only 2-3 people out of the whole shaving forum own it. Many concider the Toggle and the Tech Hybrid rare as well, but most vintage collectors here own or used to own more than one of each. I also don't mean to offend anyone or mock him for what he likes or want's, but most razors are made by the hundreds of thousands and very few are truly worthy of the title "rare".
"Rare" sells better and what is rare is more or less dictated by the market.
More than 10 000 bottom dials were produced and they still fetch higher prices than the hand engraved deluxe sets and those are one of their kinds piece for piece.

"Rare" sells better and what is rare is more or less dictated by the market.
More than 10 000 bottom dials were produced and they still fetch higher prices than the hand engraved deluxe sets and those are one of their kinds piece for piece.
Yep, that's true. Btw, how rare do you think these are, because I was just talking to another collector and according to him, they are also some of rarest, but I'm not really that interested in these models and I really don't know what to think of.

The Big Fellow Chomium De Luxe #20 RFB
1930 New President in silver
1928 New Improved De Luxe Herman Köhl

R

romsitsa

Yep, that's true. Btw, how rare do you think these are, because I was just talking to another collector and according to him, they are also some of rarest, but I'm not really that interested in these models and I really don't know what to think of.

The Big Fellow Chomium De Luxe #20 RFB
1930 New President in silver
1928 New Improved De Luxe Herman Köhl

No 20 Rare, the two piece version is even more rare.
President rare as a stand alone razor, never saw the set/case it came in.
It was made for Köhl, so one of one.

No 20 Rare, the two piece version is even more rare.
President rare as a stand alone razor, never saw the set/case it came in.
It was made for Köhl, so one of one.

The person in question said that there were a few made for other people as well with probably the same engraving pattern, but with different names, of course and he claims that he owns one and has seen two others.

R

romsitsa

Ah, ok, that would be the New Improved Deluxe set with any monogram (it came in the price), rare, the engravings are the same.
Köhls set was a gift from Gillette, what these presentation sets (based on the Deluxe model) makes uniqe are the personalized plaques on the boxes and/or engraving on the tubes.
So a monogrammed Deluxe is not in the same league as a presentation Deluxe.

Top Bottom