What's new

Bought me a shavette :)

So I'm new to this. I purchased a shavette instead of a straight razor thinking maintaining the blade is going to require tools and a lot of learning for a straight razor. A shavette just seemed like the much more convenient option.

Are there any members here that swear by shavettes? What are your thoughts on my decision of getting a shavette as compared to a straight razor? Are they very difficult to use as compared to straight razors?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Reactions: abj
Shavettes can give a very nice shave for very little money.
I'm surprised more do not use them regularly.
Go slow, take your time and keep the razor close to flat on your face. A sloppy wet lather will help.
Have fun.

Good choice to start with. Blades are always sharp, cheap, light which encourages soft touch/no pressure and of course no maintenance.

Do your prep work right (hydrated beard, wet/slick lather) and you are halfway to a fine shave.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
So I'm new to this. I purchased a shavette instead of a straight razor thinking maintaining the blade is going to require tools and a lot of learning for a straight razor. A shavette just seemed like the much more convenient option.

Are there any members here that swear by shavettes? What are your thoughts on my decision of getting a shavette as compared to a straight razor? Are they very difficult to use as compared to straight razors?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
I have a number of straight razors and like them very much but I love my shavette as well. First of all, a shavette is a real straight razor just not a “traditional” one. Exact same technique. If you can use one, you can use the other. The greatest benefit of a shavette is there is no maintenance involved. Just change the blade when necessary. A shavette allows you to work on your shaving without being bothered by deteriorating edges and improper stropping. The downside to a shavette is that they are incredibly sharp. If you simply dull the end points on your blade on a glass or a mirror, you will save yourself some nicks though. You must keep your blade angle pretty tight and use very light pressure and you will be fine. You will also be able to keep learning to shave while you learn to hone and strop and begin to understand what adequate sharpness is. In any case, I wholeheartedly support the use of a shavette and find the half blade shavettes perfectly adequate. Don’t think of them as not being a “real straight razor”. They are just a different type of straight razor and feel comfortable calling them straight razors. By the way, my favorite is the $20 Parker you can get on Amazon.

I bought a Parker SRX.
Had a very great shave today, very close. No blood, no visible nicks and cuts. Ofcourse the alum block burnt a bit but no blood so that's a good thing and a first at that.
I guess I'm getting better with straights now.
I have a number of straight razors and like them very much but I love my shavette as well. First of all, a shavette is a real straight razor just not a “traditional” one. Exact same technique. If you can use one, you can use the other. The greatest benefit of a shavette is there is no maintenance involved. Just change the blade when necessary. A shavette allows you to work on your shaving without being bothered by deteriorating edges and improper stropping. The downside to a shavette is that they are incredibly sharp. If you simply dull the end points on your blade on a glass or a mirror, you will save yourself some nicks though. You must keep your blade angle pretty tight and use very light pressure and you will be fine. You will also be able to keep learning to shave while you learn to hone and strop and to understand what adequate sharpness is. In any case, I wholeheartedly support the use of a shavette and find the half blade shavettes perfectly adequate. Don’t think of them as not being a “real straight razor”. They are just a different type of straight razor and feel comfortable calling them straight razors. By the way, my favorite is the $20 Parker you can get on Amazon.

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
You’re doing very well. Keep at and it will get even better. There is a bit of anxiety when you begin using a straight razor. The more you do it the less the anxiety and you are off to the races.

Top Bottom