What's new

Bought a piece of local history

Purely out of habit I was scrolling through the straight razors for sale on eBay, not looking for anything specific, not intending to buy anything. To be honest, very few things attract my attention these days, it seems that all the good ones are gone, and if you find something nice, the prices are sky-high.

When I saw these four razors, it caught my eye that they were made in Aberdeen. I have been living near Aberdeen for going on 15 years, and it's the first time I have seen anything connected to Scotland, so this is about as local as you can get. I know some razors were stamped with sellers names, but after a bit of investigation, it would seem that they were actually made by Alex Elric, formally from Sheffield. The Scottish Post Office general directory for 1891 list him as cutler and surgical instrument maker. Business address 43 George Street and a second address, I presume his house address as 29 Jamaica street.

I placed a fair bid, and waited. In my experience when you buy sets, they often go for a very reasonable price when you take what you paid per razor. I got lucky and paid around £20 each per razor. They seem to be in good condition, with very little spine wear.

Can't wait to get my hands on them!

elrick aberdeen.jpg Elric Alex.jpg

Interesting to see that a lot of people listed their occupations in the Post Office directory. Paints a picture of life in Aberdeen in 1891.

Last edited:
Here is the best photo of the scales. I want to see Schreger lines, but I just can't tell. Maybe, but I will have to wait to have them in my hands to be sure.

elrick scales.jpg

Some feedback after spending some time with these razors.

Because of active rust around the pins, I had to take them apart, clean them up, and re-pin. All went well and I am happy to report the ivory scales are still in excellent condition. Honed them up to 12k and went through a full pasted balsa progression.

The first few shaves were somewhat disappointing. I expected more off them. They are 6/8ths and very thinly ground, they were easy to hone and the blade geometry was perfect. They shaved ok, but the edges were below par compared to most of my other razors.

I put all of them through the full pasted balsa progression again and they were better, but not perfect. After shaving with all of them again, I repeated the process.

From the fourth shave onwards, things were falling in place and I am satisfied that I am getting the best out of them.

It may be my imagination, but they still feel different from my usual favourites which for the majority are Solingen and Spanish blades. I know some swear by Sheffield steel, claiming they can feel the difference, and that Sheffield steel, being softer makes for a more comfortable shave. I didn't really buy it, but now have second thoughts about it. In short, they feel not-as-sharp, requiring some push to get them to cut the whiskers, but somehow give an excellent close shave. Soft on the face with just about no feedback from the alum block. I judge the closeness of a shave by how it feels after at least eight hours, to me it's all the same straight after shaving. Some of the shaves, I would judge as at least as good as my Fili14.

These are very good quality razors, clearly made by an individual master craftsman.

Top Bottom