What's new

Bought a Paladin. No idea why. But it's pretty cool.

I almost bought a Shavemac, no idea what made me look at the Paladin site. But they had things I could just buy and it was big and it was orange (or so I tell myself, please don't ruin my fantasy).

IMG_20210305_173854.jpg
IMG_20210305_190339.jpg

Just created a test lather. That's just some Derby lemon that I never use. Hopefully use it soon.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
That is one handsome butterscotch brush- congrats. I use either Simpsons or Paladins almost exclusively. I love Simpsons small knots and Paladin's 26mm knots. I've never had a bad experience with a Paladin, and their craftsmanship is unparalleled. I see yours is one of their new matte or satin finish handles. In the butterscotch it gives it a bit of authenticity- like it really might be 50 year old new stock. I hope you enjoy your Paladin as much as I do mine!

Just had my first shave with the brush. Loaded it up with Pre de Provence and face lathered. So much lather, it was crazy. Seemed to flow through better than my Chubby 2 in Best. Also felt great making the lather, very much like I had this firm but soft pillow that was generating lather on my face.

That did make it feel less connected than my favorite boar brushes. But I'm not sure which feeling I favor, probably each at different times.

I already like it much better than any other badger brush I have. I can see myself rotating between it, my Omega Pro 48 and my SOC boar on a frequent basis, with my Chubby 2, and other boars being less frequent guests.

But we'll see. Really enjoyed it.

Oh, and why don't I use Pre de Provence more? That has to be the best performing soap I have. The lather is so thick and slick at the same time. Wow.

I have to say, I found myself accepting of many of my other acquisitions far easier than I did with the Paladin. The thing I kept coming back to was considering not so much the price but the prodigious work of badger and the fact it was just huge. You (I) would need to dump a lot of shaving soap into it to get it running, and running well. I continually discovered I could get all the lather experience I wanted, needed(!), with the smaller Simpsons. And even the size 3 versions were smaller yet more than luxurious for me.

So imagine my surprise...

Up until recently, I lathered on the pucks. And while I had considerations about 'wearing out' the perfume from the pucks as they aged in use, I didn't overly worry about it. Then, one day, I decided to try using a spoon to take some soap and put it into the bottom of my lathering bowl. I found it effective to use the back of the spoon and its' edge to scrape a small amount of soap and then tack that on the bowl. Now I'm getting all the performance I want, still conserving my soap, and even so, it's still enough to drive the Paladin perfectly. And last, I didn't think I'd enjoy the use of their bulb design. I'm continually appreciating the ability to lather, spread, and rinse the design produces.

As it is said: "Who knew?"

I hope you find the brush surprises you pleasantly as you become acquainted.
I may not ever buy another at the prices they're offered. I have nothing against giving good money for excellent work, I just have a Lot of brushes! But there is 'something' there that I think has earned the Gentlemen who make them a worthy reputation.

I almost bought a Shavemac, no idea what made me look at the Paladin site. But they had things I could just buy and it was big and it was orange (or so I tell myself, please don't ruin my fantasy).

View attachment 1232554View attachment 1232555

Just created a test lather. That's just some Derby lemon that I never use. Hopefully use it soon.
Great looking and performing brush, will be buying a Paladin soon.

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I have to be in the mood to use one of my Paladins. They're pretty big. I'm more content to use brushes in the 22-24mm range most days. That said, I'd buy another one immediately if I saw one I liked.

Top Bottom