What's new

Bought a Paladin. No idea why. But it's pretty cool.

Just had my first shave with the brush. Loaded it up with Pre de Provence and face lathered. So much lather, it was crazy. Seemed to flow through better than my Chubby 2 in Best. Also felt great making the lather, very much like I had this firm but soft pillow that was generating lather on my face.

That did make it feel less connected than my favorite boar brushes. But I'm not sure which feeling I favor, probably each at different times.

I already like it much better than any other badger brush I have. I can see myself rotating between it, my Omega Pro 48 and my SOC boar on a frequent basis, with my Chubby 2, and other boars being less frequent guests.

But we'll see. Really enjoyed it.

Oh, and why don't I use Pre de Provence more? That has to be the best performing soap I have. The lather is so thick and slick at the same time. Wow.
A beautiful brush! Should you decide to part with it, just let me know!

I have to be in the mood to use one of my Paladins. They're pretty big. I'm more content to use brushes in the 22-24mm range most days. That said, I'd buy another one immediately if I saw one I liked.
Yeah, definitely get that many people prefer a more focused brush from day to day.

Since I hit my stride with wet shaving I've been a big brush guy, loving the Omega Pro 48 and SOC boar.

I love how this Paladin brush feels and the size of it is an essential factor in that. But I wonder if I'll miss some scrub. If so, I'll fire up the Chubby 2 or one of those big boar brushes. Great to have some options. :)

Owen Bawn

Garden party cupcake scented
I crashed out of the February GRUME 3 weeks ago when I bought a Brad Sears brush. Then I saw this one and thought "What the hell???....???Why not??...?" My 5th Paladin, but my first 'pre-owned' one. Appears to have only been used by a little old lady on Sundays, or something like that. Essentially a brand new brush.

Cleo resze.jpg

I crashed out of the February GRUME 3 weeks ago when I bought a Brad Sears brush. Then I saw this one and thought "What the hell???....???Why not??...?" My 5th Paladin, but my first 'pre-owned' one. Appears to have only been used by a little old lady on Sundays, or something like that. Essentially a brand new brush.

View attachment 1241164
Used only on Sundays before mass?

My first Paladin is sitting in the lovely Jamaica, NY waiting to clear customs. Hopefully the previous owner didn’t use Arco as the dogs might cause it to be flagged for destruction.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
Cl

View attachment 1241164
Cleo, I believe. I have that in Malachite. Very nice brush.

Owen Bawn

Cl
Cleo, I believe. I have that in Malachite. Very nice brush.
That's it. There's a Cleo and a Tut that look fairly similar. I couldn't tell them apart before I bought this Cleo. Paladin malachite is a beautiful resin indeed.

Owen Bawn

Paladin has a "seconds" area on their website - SBAD enabled something fierce - there's a 28mm Moe for $195.00
3 of my 5 Paladins- a Mandarin and two Chiefs- came from the "back room." I've never been able to find the imperfection in any of them. Purchase from there with confidence.

captp

Pretty Pink Fairy Princess.
That's it. There's a Cleo and a Tut that look fairly similar. I couldn't tell them apart before I bought this Cleo. Paladin malachite is a beautiful resin indeed.
Hehe. I have one of each. Had to check my pics to see which was which.
I held out on the Cleo for a year, I think, until Ken released it in Malachite. Well worth the wait.
0824180849.jpg

ChiefBroom

No tattoo mistakes!
@objectuser - It’s Orange, it looks great, and it gives you a warm fuzzy feeling - that makes it an excellent decision! 😍 Enjoy!

It's Dark Holler Ancient Orange!

My first Paladin is sitting in the lovely Jamaica, NY waiting to clear customs. Hopefully the previous owner didn’t use Arco as the dogs might cause it to be flagged for destruction.

:lol:

That's it. There's a Cleo and a Tut that look fairly similar. I couldn't tell them apart before I bought this Cleo.

That's what the hieroglyphs are for!

EclipseRedRing

I smell like a Christmas pudding
Paladin has a "seconds" area on their website - SBAD enabled something fierce - there's a 28mm Moe for $195.00
There is a barely used 28mm ivory Moe on the UK bay right now for £95 including delivery and it is not selling. I have watched several mint Paladins in recent weeks from the same seller, and the prices drop until they are either withdrawn from sale or they sell for 60% of what they might have fetched a year ago. Maybe it is a UK thing but used prices, for Paladin in particular, have dropped significantly, at least that is my perception.

Owen Bawn

There is a barely used 28mm ivory Moe on the UK bay right now for £95 including delivery and it is not selling. I have watched several mint Paladins in recent weeks from the same seller, and the prices drop until they are either withdrawn from sale or they sell for 60% of what they might have fetched a year ago. Maybe it is a UK thing but used prices, for Paladin in particular, have dropped significantly, at least that is my perception.
95 quid is about $135 USD which is what I'd expect a Paladin in good condition to sell for on the secondary market. If they truly were selling for 40% more, or about £135 a year ago that would mean they were selling for close to the brand new price. UK prices for American badger brushes are all over the place because it isn't easy to get US badger brushes to you. I have noticed that nearly all of the regulars on the ATG forum now seem to own at least 1 Paladin brush, however. That wasn't the case a year ago.

All that said, I honestly don't know how to interpret it.

I hadn't seen the Paladin Moe. That looks really nice. I guess that's more of a fan style knot. Interesting.

Unfortunately (or fortunately) I'm probably about to start a beard again at least until the end of the summer, so I wouldn't really be able to enjoy any new brushes for a while. 😅

Top Bottom