What's new

Bought a lot of brushes

So I bought these with plans of restoring them, and came across a couple questions early in the process.

1) The Ever-ready 806 bottom looks to be filled with a plaster or something up to the middle. Did this brush have a different bottom that fell off some time? I can't find another of this brush online.
2) What can I do to make the bottom of this look better?
3) Using a ruler (calipers are at home) that travel rubberset has a 15/14mm knot is this something a vendor sells/is this possible to reknot or should I forget it?

Rubberset 100
Ever-Ready 806
Squibb Beard Tamer
Travel Rubberset

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I've seen the bottom piece remade from wood in this thread Post #168, It looked Good. Not sure if your original fell off or not though.

You could open up that travel brush just a little, and stick a 16mm TGN Best Badger in there. They just ran out of stock but they have them quite often, just ask Vanessa or Tony when they will have them back in.

I had that Squibb Beard Tamer in my watched list, great looking little brush, should restore nicely!:biggrin1:

There should have been some of that thin walled plastic at the bottom. You can see how thin walled the sides of the base are, so you have to be careful digging enough of the white stuff out of the base to fill with something and epoxy. Be creative! Find a coin or token or something custom to replace the bottom plate and epoxy it in place! It'll be a unique brush!

ADD: That walnut baseplate came out pretty nice!

Last edited:
I doubt the bottom fell off. I've had many Ever-readys with exposed plaster bottoms (and a few with clearly aftermarket laminate on the bottom). I expect a few models were left without a coating on the bottom to cut costs and simplify manufacture.

I have one that someone put faux mother of pearl laminate on. Looks pretty nice.

There used to be two knot vendors before Whipped dog started selling knots. TGN and someone else. I forget what the other site was. But they carry or carried 14mm knots. I got one to reknot a turnback awhile ago, and found the knot too prickly. I pulled it and cut up a Simpson Wee scot (which is a 14mm knot) for it.

Point being, if you're handy and don't mind the cost, cutting up a wee scot is an option. If not, surely someone can recall the name of this vendor and you can look them up. They sell it as a silvertip but like TGN's standard silvertip, that's a very generous grading. It's very prickly and would be graded pure by any of the big brush manufacturers.

Yeah, that walnut is nice. I might first try with some acrylic if I can find any.

the hole measures about 15.5mm, I could probably open it to 16 (the metal / \ does this at the top)

a 16 mm knot is actually like 16.5 though right?

the hole measures about 15.5mm, I could probably open it to 16 (the metal / \ does this at the top)

a 16 mm knot is actually like 16.5 though right?

I think the smaller knots from TGN are usually closer to size than the larger ones. It should be a solid 16mm.

So looking to clean up the squibb first, and the top is superglued to the bottom. Any tips on splitting them or removing the glue?

Top Bottom