What's new

Bought a couple of vintage razors and need help identifying them

I know this is off-topic, but I hope you guys don't mind if I post another picture of my first DE razor for identification. My brother got it for me about 2 years ago for about $40 but I never knew what brand or model it was. Maybe today will be the day where the truth is revealed.

View attachment 532943View attachment 532944

It's short-handled and a matte grey and I've tried looking for another identical one but never have. It doesn't have any markings or anything from what I've seen. I've always been curious, as this is what I've been shaving with for the past 2 years.
Timor DE razor.

The simple wash/scrub technique is working very well for any loose rust, dirt, and grime, but not very well for the really old bluish-colored rust, or the gunk in the deep pockets of the handles, both of which are just sitting there. The toothbrush doesn't seem to work well in those areas... Any ideas? :bored:
I use a steel point tool such as dental pick, it picks out the green easily and worn harm the finish.
proxy.php

Okay so I bought my first lot of 4 vintage razors on the Bay and needed help identifying and restoring them to their natural beauty. Naturally, this is the best place to ask around, as many of you are wizards and obviously know your stuff. Before starting the identification process, I wanted to restore them in order to make the identification easier but I don't know where to start, given that they're all different in some way..

Here's a picture for reference:

View attachment 532896

As you can see, the first one (from the left) is a SE razor, the second is a steel, silver, or nickel-plated DE razor (I honestly can't tell the difference between the metals), the third is what I think is a brass or possibly a gold plated razor (More likely a brass, but like I said, I'm still not entirely sure), and the fourth has some sort of a plastic handle.
possible while still being able to sanitize, restore, and shave with these gorgeous razors, so any help identifying the razors and their metals would be a great help to me.

Here are some pictures of my razors for reference:

View attachment 532897View attachment 532898View attachment 532899View attachment 532900

Oh, almost forgot! And any other advice or tips on how to sanitize, clean, and restore them would also be greatly appreciated! Thanks everybody :sailor:
60's era Super Speed , 1970's Black handle Super, 1946 era gold Contract Tech, also came in black.

Mr razor site can be of great help, he is world class collector of Gillette razors and he has all of them categorized by date and with pics, besides our members i have learn from him too. http://www.mr-razor.com/Rasierer/Gillette Rasierer.htm

proxy.php

Last edited:
I use a steel point tool such as dental pick, it picks out the green easily and worn harm the finish.

I just thought about it and well, how about some fine steel wool to take off the rust? I don't imagine it could harm the plating (or what's left on some of them), given that the wire is so thin. I could be wrong though. Has anyone tried it?

Last edited:
Ah well, I was saying rust for the sake of simplicity, but it probably would've been better if I said corrosion or oxidation. Sorry again for my misuse of the proper terms, I know it can get confusing.

Attachments

• $DSC06400.jpg
    $DSC06400.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 68
  • $DSC06399.jpg
    $DSC06399.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 69
  • $DSC06396.jpg
    $DSC06396.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 69
I just thought about it and well, how about some fine steel wool to take off the rust? I don't imagine it could harm the plating (or what's left on some of them), given that the wire is so thin. I could be wrong though. Has anyone tried it?
Use some MAAS polish, soft rubbing should do it.

I just cleaned up 2 fatboys, a diplomat, and some superspeeds. On 3 of them I had what i thought was rust. This was after soaking in hot soap water then in Scrubbing Bubbles. Guess what it was? It was built up soap grime that came off with a toothbrush...I was amazed because i almost passed up on them due to the rough shape the "rust" appeared, boy am i glad i didnt pass on them, at $10/piece...haha

I'm pretty sure the rust is from people leaving wet blades in their razors for years. It's a pain to remove at times, but it's not a product of the razor itself.
I've never seen rust on a razor other than where contact with the blade is made.

Nice razors. The Superspeed is a 60s model. All of the DEs you picked up are good shavers.

Shaved for the first time today with the Ever Ready, and boy was I impressed! I got some shaving blades from CVS with the "American Shaving Company" stamped on the plastic box and that razor shaves like a champ. I think I prefer it over all the others, though the gold-plated Contract Tech comes in close second.

I'm pretty much finished with them so I'll post some pictures.

Last edited:
Before and after pictures:

$$_57 (12).jpg$DSC06404.jpg

Overall, I think I did a decent job for my first time, The Ever Ready and Super Speed both cleaned up nicely but I ran into a few problems that I couldn't get rid of on the plastic-handled Super Speed but I'll just leave it like that. They wouldn't come off with polish or Scrubbing Bubbles.

$DSC06407.jpg$DSC06408.jpg$DSC06409.jpg

Also if you're using Nevr-Dull polish on your razors (can be found in the Walmart automotive cleaners section) don't use it on gold plated razors! It says it can be used on all metals, including gold but I didn't read the back and it turned the top of my gold-plated Contract Tech a bronze-ish brown. Read the back and it says not to use it on lacquered surfaces. :facep:

$DSC06405.jpg

UPDATE: Be VERY careful when using Nevr-Dull metal polish.

I decided to completely clean up my Ever Ready razor with the polish and finally get rid of the little oxidation/corrosion left on the top and back of the razor. For any of you that don't know, Nevr-Dull polish is pretty much what seems like cotton wadding with the polished mixed in. To use it, all you have to do is rip a little bit of the wadding, roll it up, and start scrubbing. Long story short: after finishing scrubbing all the oxidation/corrosion off, my nickel-plated razor has a yellow tinge to it that I can't seem to get rid of.

I feel like I screwed up big time, and should've just left the stuff on the razor. Now I have a shiny yellow tinged razor head with a bright silver handle. Haha I hope you all can learn something from my mistakes. Until next time.

Last edited:
Top Bottom