What's new

Bought a bout from Jarred

I decided to try a coticule and experiment with another way of honening a razor. I saw this size 8 bout that came with a slurry stone from Jarred at the superior shave for 39.99 and figured why not give it a shot and see if I can do it. Well I have received my stone today and gave it a shot with a Torrey 992 that I had. I followed everyone instructions that has posted on the subject and successfully honed my first razor other then using film. What surprised me was that when using film there is a definite polish at the edge of the blade. Meanwhile using a coticule I guess is a more subtitle polish because even tho it didn’t look perfectly polished like the film it was quite sharp. I decided to give a quick hit on my face in some spots and was pleasantly surprised how buttery smooth it was and was quite effective. I know I will need some practice and some tips as to how to use my stone properly, but if I can master this small one maybe a larger one may be in my future. For now I’m sticking with this guy and hopefully get some use out of it.

Larry

CA244A6F-BC91-4AE8-92E6-B3A1E4C4F68C.jpeg

David

B&B’s Champion Corn Shucker
Nice looking stone. Cotis don’t leave a pretty edge but the shaves are dreamy. Glad that you’re having success. Keep it up!

I will have to admit, it took me a little time to figure out the best way to hold it and use it. Its not difficult once you get the feel and understand the slurry and how to use it. When I did the final polish I wound up taking the stone to the sink, turned on the water to where its just dripping from the faucet, put the stone under it and kept going back and forth with the blade under the dripping water. Worked like a charm and worked out well...needless to say Im running out of hair on the bottom of my forearms to test all the blades I have lol.

Larry

Nothing beats a good coticule edge in my opinion. However I would strongly suggest you don't get any more and just stick with two of them.

They are bewitching. I know as I've had over 100 of them and spent thousands....

Trust me im not going to buy more of them, the second one I bought is PERFECT and it does exactly what i hoped it would do. I used my lapping film tonight to remove a small chip on my Engstrom 1874 and then reset the bevel after the chip was removed. Then used my new coticule and finished to a super sharp blade. My new cotticule felt soft and buttery smooth and im quite pleased.

Larry

Top Bottom