What's new

Bought a bottle of Portland Beard Co's Oil

$2015-11-18 22.05.00.jpg

the Shuler scent. It smeels nice, a bit of a pine woodsy herbal thing going on, the scent does keep growing more on me, not that I didnt like it to begin with. I would love to tell you how great this stuff works, but honestly its my first beard oil, so Im not sure, but as a source of reference if any of you gents have used it I would love some feedback to compare to other things out there. Im sure like most things around here, you can never have just one (Inset various product here, soaps, creams, pens, inks, razor, pens and the like)

Oh and I get a kind of candy lemoney scent too,... I suck as scents,... but I thought I would add that. seemed important

I'm not a beard oil guy, but just my .02 as a frugal guy, this stuff--like pre-shave oil--seems rather easy to make up yourself. A recipe (almost) was helpfully included on their site. I do read good things about argan oil for hair.

"Shuler Oil: Created using all natural Argan oil. Argan oil contains high levels of Vitamin E which promotes excellent moisture retention and will reduce flaking of your skin. Whether your growing out your beard or maintaining it, Argan oil will keep it soft and healthy. We also added Meadowfoam seed oil, which rejuvenates and adds shine to your beard Without it feeling greasy. Meadowfoam is native to Northern California and Southern Oregon. Keeping it Local !! Lastly, we added a few drops of essential oils with a drop or two of frankincense- leaving your beard with a spicy, citrus scent."

For the frugal minded, basic beard oil (as well even as basic mustache wax) isn't difficult to craft yourself, this is very true. When you buy one, you are paying for the convenience of not having to go through your own trial and error, being able to get a small amount instead of ending up with 4 oz of stuff that hopefully stands up over time, and in some cases you are getting some ingredients that could be difficult or expensive to source for yourself.

I've only used two different beard oils so far... Proraso and Beardology. Both seem to perform over all the same, to my inexperienced observations, but both do perform well in softening it up and giving it a nice healthy shine, as well as keeping it generally better groomed and combed looking. Way less "fly away" and wild hairs.

Even without anything to compare it to, you can still let us all know your impressions of how well it works vs not using oil at all. :)

Well, after being bearded for a few months I did get a few rashes on the skin,... I freaked out a bit and used some witch hazel on it,... problem solved I was shocked. I stopped using the witch hazel start using this and I did notice a shine, right off the bat I thought it was a bad thing as it was a bit too shiny, but I notice by the time I get to work it has a balance, and just looks healthy. I do like catching the scent throughout the day, and the hairs on my face are better behaved.

But I did think the beard oil also helped with skin conditioning, I do get some itchiness here and there still, but that was happening on some cold days, also noticed my hands were super dry. Going into winter things will only get worse, so Ill report as to how things hold up (Remind me, as winter is taking its time this year to come).

I am a year with full beard already. I do use oils for moisturizing my skin and face hair. First I bought one bottle of prepared one. But then I realized that it's just way too expensive. Now I prepare oil and moustache wax on my own. Simply I bought base oils of jojoba and argan and then add essential oils for scent mostly and do read about their additional effect for health. I also added some castor oils which used alone is too sticky and I don't like it's smell.

The wax was done by simply melting everything(bees wax, coconut oil, essentials) in a glass put to hot water, mixing it and then cooling in the tare where i want to keep it.

For all the stuff for both - oil(300ml) and wax(one portion) I paid a price of 60ml of already prepared and branded stuff. The only cons of this - i am still experimenting with scents.

Top Bottom