What's new

Bottom Tier of Modern DE Blades

Yes, you read that correctly.

After reading thousands of threads extolling the virtues of XYZ blades, it's about time (it's been years) we get to gripe about lousy edges. No, not merely mediocre and middling or just okay. Downright bottom half of all blades. Blades you'll never use again.

Of course, stipulated that YMMV, opinions and experiences will differ. That's why we're here on this forum.

Not sharp? Not smooth? Don't last long? Inconsistent? Dull? Terrible in my favorite razor? Prior editions were degraded by changes?

What say you?

Thank you!

VdH - Not overly sharp and tugged from the get go
Derby Greens - See above, but the tugging begins on the second shave. For me, these are truly one and done.

* My experiences from use in a Mühle r89

Last edited:
For me:

Rapira Platinum Lux - massive irritation on my neck every time I used one.
Gillette 7 o'clock Super Platinum - only got 1 of 2 shaves out of each blade until weepers and irritation showed up
Lord Platinum - On the fence with this one. Shaves were close and comfortable, but I only could get 2 or 3 shaves out of a blade

7O'Clock Permasharp Stainless might the worst blade I've used, so rough that I just could not get along with them at all. Qc issues maybe?

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
Never liked the Shark Super Chromes.
Shark Super Chrome left me looking like I'd been attacked by a shark
Personna Comfort Coated, comfort coated, with what? broken glass!
Voskhod, first used at the begining of this month if it wasn't for the FFFMM Challenge I would have stopped using them weeks ago
I want to like Feather blades, but I just can't get them to work

It's funny, but the cheapest made in India blades are some of my favourites. However, worst blades for me are one of the most expensive; Merkur. At least Tigers were smooth, but didn't cut. These darn Merkurs just tug and tug. I can forgive Astra SPs because they are cheap, but they both feel equally bad and I can't finish the shave.

Derby blades are the worst for me. They tugged like crazy and felt dull on the first shave. Good thing I only bought a tuck of them.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Dorco, rockwell
They even make me suffer more than some Chinese made blades.

Top Bottom