What's new

Bottom Tier of Modern DE Blades

I've actually squeezed out some okay shaves with Derby blades. Not a favorite by any means though. I generally stick with all of the packs acquired over the years in sample packs to shaving the back of my neck after buzzes. Works great.

In order of worst to least worst DE blades:
1. Tiger blued carbon steel 3-hole - dragging, skipping, and dullness. Ineffective even on shave 1.
2. Merkur Super - Overpriced at $0.75 per blade. Very rough and nick-producing (look at the edge under a magnifier to see why) and only medium sharpness.
3. Tie - Derby Extra and Tiger Platinum - both are acceptable for one shave, but after that, a butter knife is sharper.

The bottom tier blades that I have tried for me are:
1. Ladas
2. Dollar Tree Assured generic Chinese blade.
3. Shark SC
4. Bolzano
5. Astra SS
6. Treet Black Beauty
7. Wilkinson Sword (German)

Out of the ~50 different types of DE blades I've tried these are the worst of the worst for me:
  • Derby Extra
  • Gillette Sword (made in China I think)
  • Rapira Platinum Lux
  • Rockwell
  • Shark Super Chrome
Some of them were binned after a single stroke, and none of them were used for more than one shave.

I find it interesting that some blades in people's bottom tier are top-tier blades for me!

Shark Super Stainless
Astra SP
Voskhod
Derby Extra
Derby Premium
Ladas
Rapira Swedish Super Steel
Shaverboy
Tiger and Tatara?

Messygoon

Abandoned By Gypsies.
I love this thread, and it may prevent bad shaves! From experience, my bottom tier:
  • Worst of the Worst: Rockwell
  • Overrated: Bic, Shark, Voskhod
  • Fastest Degradation: Feather
Other the other hand, Astra Superior Stainless, mentioned in a post above, is my go-to blade. I find it smooth and long-lived. How interesting that a razor can yield such varied results. Guess it proves that no one product is perfect for all.

My poor Sharks are taking a beating... also surprised to see Rapira listed.
I like the Shark Platinum, Rapira Stainless and Platinum Lux
I love this thread, and it may prevent bad shaves! From experience, my bottom tier:
  • Worst of the Worst: Rockwell
  • Overrated: Bic, Shark, Voskhod
  • Fastest Degradation: Feather
Other the other hand, Astra Superior Stainless, mentioned in a post above, is my go-to blade. I find it smooth and long-lived. How interesting that a razor can yield such varied results. Guess it proves that no one product is perfect for all.
Astra SS is a top blade for me

Lord Rainbows barely held up for the One Blade In February challenge a few years ago. Won't be using them again.

Derby Extra are OK for a few shaves, but after that they pull so bad I can't stand it. Nice shaves, just not comfortable.

Voskhods I like, Rapira Platinum Lux is fine but not long lived.

And Sharp Star blades are mediocre. Much like a Derby but more comfortable to start with. Pull terribly after a few shaves.

Most blades seem fine dullest worst ones I have tried have been vintage maybe lost their edge over years. Derby extra(at the time) and voskhod were fairly dull to me, but still could get a good shave with them I think if I had to put them in a slant. Plenty blades are somewhat too sharp and not that smooth but work great in a mild razor.

I haven’t tried any Derby or Dorco blades, which seem to be taking the biggest hit here, but the only blade I couldn’t even grudgingly make friends with is Merkur. I bought a couple tucks of Voskods once and gave up after 3 blades, but at least I could shave with them.

Oh this is fun!
For my, personally:
Shark SS: my skills are not good enough to get a decent shave with this 'not so very sharp' blade.

Top Bottom