What's new

Bottom Tier Blades

Once every other week I try a derby extra blade . The reason for this is because I was convinced initially that you guys are all psychosomatic about blades so I bought a stupid number of them ( jokes on me clearly ) and now owning said blades I keep trying to figure out how on earth these things are even sold and how do people who use these regularly use them. It’s clear if you pretend it’s a normal no pressure blade it’s so dull it doesn’t even shave ( i have the old ones ). My guess is there is a sweet spot somewhere btwn using more pressure and not getting razor burn or perhaps sticking it in the r41 and seeing if some magic happens but it’s a mystery to me to be honest.

regards
avi

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Once every other week I try a derby extra blade . The reason for this is because I was convinced initially that you guys are all psychosomatic about blades so I bought a stupid number of them ( jokes on me clearly ) and now owning said blades I keep trying to figure out how on earth these things are even sold and how do people who use these regularly use them. It’s clear if you pretend it’s a normal no pressure blade it’s so dull it doesn’t even shave ( i have the old ones ). My guess is there is a sweet spot somewhere btwn using more pressure and not getting razor burn or perhaps sticking it in the r41 and seeing if some magic happens but it’s a mystery to me to be honest.

regards
avi

I don't have a problem with them. I get around 10 shaves from them in an Edwin Jagger DE3D14, which is on the low end of average for me (most blades give me 10-14, my "better" blades up to 30+ shaves)

BradWorld

Dances with Wolfs
This question is about blades in “rotation”. I would never put a sub par blade into my rotation. I often buy 100 packs of blades I haven’t tried. Got two such 100 packs yesterday. If they don’t work well in a razor or two, I put them up on the shelf, and retry them down the road. Especially when some says they work well in a razor I have, I’ll dig them out and give them another shot. But I would never put a blade into rotation that doesn’t work really well for me.

regards
avi

Would you like some ZaZas to add to your ‘psychosomatic’ rotation?? :a13:

• Haha
Reactions: Avi
I have several that I hadn't liked in the past that somehow have improved with a reuse. Some, I just break down and use my McKee hone and that makes even the worst blade tolerable for 2-3 shaves. The ones I haven't enjoyed recently are Rockwell black package, Merkur, Big Ben, and Shark (oddly enough that's how my grandson pronounces "sharp").

regards
avi

Find a teenager who is just starting to shave and give him your Derby Extra blades and an inexpensive razor so he gets started out one the right track. With the light beard of a teenager, the blades should work fine. As we get older, beards get tougher for most of us, so the Derby Extras no longer work.

It is one of my favorite blades. :)

I tried shaving with Feather but couldn't even complete the shave. I think that it is too sharp for it's own good. There is absolutely no need for a blade to be sharp to such an extreme extent. No call for it. It misses the point. And in addition to being ridiculously sharp it is also so unforgiving that it is simply dangerous. I see no reason to use such blades, unless you like to live on the edge.
i have really sensitive skin, feathers work flawlessly for me
havent had a single cut from a feather in years. It's not the blade, its you, and by you, I mean technique.
Feathers do require more "skill" than other blades, but once you learn to use them properly, every other blade just seems like it can't do the job.. At least for me... But I prefer straights anyway

derby blades only belong in one place: the bin!
so dull, i swear the people that say they can get shaves with them must have peach fuss..

I got some Derby Extra blades as part of a sample pack with Astra Superior Platinum and Feather blades, and ended up gravitating toward the Astra's as my favorite. But I ran out of the Astra's so I'm using up the Derby's, and I actually think they're pretty good. I had a fantastic shave with a fresh Derby Extra this morning.

I also recently got a free box of Dorco blades with a Fendrihan order and my initial impression is...not good. Kinda rough.

I got some Derby Extra blades as part of a sample pack with Astra Superior Platinum and Feather blades, and ended up gravitating toward the Astra's as my favorite. But I ran out of the Astra's so I'm using up the Derby's, and I actually think they're pretty good. I had a fantastic shave with a fresh Derby Extra this morning.

I also recently got a free box of Dorco blades with a Fendrihan order and my initial impression is...not good. Kinda rough.

Which Dorco blades did you receive? I love the Dorco Prime Platinum STP301 blades. They are both sharp and smooth. I have not tried the Dorco ST300 or ST301, so I do not know how they compare. Dorco Primes are one of my favorite blades.

Once every other week I try a derby extra blade . It’s clear if you pretend it’s a normal no pressure blade it’s so dull it doesn’t even shave ( i have the old ones ). My guess is there is a sweet spot somewhere btwn using more pressure and not getting razor burn or perhaps sticking it in the r41 and seeing if some magic happens but it’s a mystery to me to be honest.

I highlighted your first potential problem. They were revamped in 2016 and I hear they're much sharper now. I've only ever had the old ones myself. They seem to me to be picky about the shaving angle, so that could be another issue. I shave with as shallow an angle as I can manage, which seems to work well with an Extra in a BET.

Foe reference, in 2016 I started shaving my now 71year old whiskers with the Extras in a 23C with WMS. Totally blew the carts away from shave 1. The 23c broke after only a couple of months, but roughly 1/4 of the blades I've used have been Extras, and the soap I've used most has been WMS. That's the gear I learned on, and I decided they were great before I read enough here to find out I wasn't supposed to like them. Oh well, too late, my mind's already made up.

Reactions: Avi
Post your Derby’s on the BST if they don’t agree with you. As this discussion has pointed out, some like them. Just proves YMMV.

Post your Derby’s on the BST if they don’t agree with you. As this discussion has pointed out, some like them. Just proves YMMV.

Considering the price of Derby Extra blades is only $8.50/100, it is not worth the effort to sell them. It would cost nearly that much to ship them to a potential buyer. I gave mine away at a shave meet. Fortunately, I only had a few tucks.

Which Dorco blades did you receive? I love the Dorco Prime Platinum STP301 blades. They are both sharp and smooth. I have not tried the Dorco ST300 or ST301, so I do not know how they compare. Dorco Primes are one of my favorite blades.

They're ST300s.

Funny someone mentioned Rapiras as non-performers. I got some Rapira Lux blades and was disappointed that they didn't give much of a long-lastng shave. They do seem to work best in my Gillette Super Speed .
Another bottom performer is Treet Black Beauties, cheap carbon steel blades. I got some to see if stropping them like I did some Gillette Thins would give them smoother performance and more longevity - it didn't.

Hi guys. I’ve got a question.
What’s your lowest ranked blade you use in your rotation? I mean the lowest in your lowest tier that you still like to use nevertheless. I. E. The bottom 20 %. For me it’s my Rapiras. They are initially sharp but lack longevity....but I enjoy using them. All responses much welcomed. Thanks!
You didn't say which Rapira. There are 4 types. And do you judge blades only by their longevity?
For me there is no such thing as bottom 20%. Either a blade is good for me or not. Otherwise I won't use it. Everything else doesn't matter.

Top Bottom