What's new

Boti Shield SE Razor

I am a fan of all razors using a GEM blade. It seems to suit my skin and beard better than DE blades. So I purchased a Shield SE razor from Boti Brush and took delivery this week.

A couple of things to note. It seems to be very close to a Blackland Sabre in head design. Same post to connect the handle at an angle to the head, the post is not cylindrical, small posts in the head and holes in the base plate securing the connection between the two and rectangular slits in the base plate to allow lather to disperse.

Some discernible differences though. The Boti is much lighter than the Sabre. I prefer a razor with a bit of heft however I know a lot of folk prefer a lack of it. The Sabre thread is smoother in connecting the handle than the Boti - sometimes it needs a couple of attempts. The underside of the Boti head is not polished like the base plate and handle. The Boti head is curved and the Sabre has two levels. The Sabre has blade stops on the base plate and the Boti has none. Sabre comes with a choice of two base plates - Level 2 being more efficient for me than Level 1. Boti does not. The Boti handle is thicker and a touch longer than the Sabre. The Boti has more etching and seems to have more grip - I like it.

As to the shave, I have used both Sabre plates. The Boti is closer to the Level 2 but, for some reason just seems a bit less smooth. Having said that I find the Sabre one of the best GEM shaves I have ever had. The Boti is certainly up there with many GEMs, EverReadys and Stars I have used. I think the problem with both is the price compared to the antiques. If you enjoy a GEM shave and have some dollars spare, give the Boti a go, is my thought.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I am a fan of all razors using a GEM blade. It seems to suit my skin and beard better than DE blades. So I purchased a Shield SE razor from Boti Brush and took delivery this week.

A couple of things to note. It seems to be very close to a Blackland Sabre in head design. Same post to connect the handle at an angle to the head, the post is not cylindrical, small posts in the head and holes in the base plate securing the connection between the two and rectangular slits in the base plate to allow lather to disperse.

Some discernible differences though. The Boti is much lighter than the Sabre. I prefer a razor with a bit of heft however I know a lot of folk prefer a lack of it. The Sabre thread is smoother in connecting the handle than the Boti - sometimes it needs a couple of attempts. The underside of the Boti head is not polished like the base plate and handle. The Boti head is curved and the Sabre has two levels. The Sabre has blade stops on the base plate and the Boti has none. Sabre comes with a choice of two base plates - Level 2 being more efficient for me than Level 1. Boti does not. The Boti handle is thicker and a touch longer than the Sabre. The Boti has more etching and seems to have more grip - I like it.

As to the shave, I have used both Sabre plates. The Boti is closer to the Level 2 but, for some reason just seems a bit less smooth. Having said that I find the Sabre one of the best GEM shaves I have ever had. The Boti is certainly up there with many GEMs, EverReadys and Stars I have used. I think the problem with both is the price compared to the antiques. If you enjoy a GEM shave and have some dollars spare, give the Boti a go, is my thought.
Do you have any pictures of your new razor?

Apologies gentlemen. I neglected to upload photos as you say. Here they are. Boti on the left and Sabre on the right.
A8A057C6-DB6B-41C5-8D94-441F46E3612E.jpeg
871A6C10-5F6C-48B7-A1FC-E4F94D3F6C70.jpeg
A5A7ECF9-BF2E-43C8-9F3E-CFF50EEC5EB5.jpeg
7D90BE91-9077-44E2-AFA8-DC73782AFE2F.jpeg

Are the lack of blade stops an issue?
Mate, they don’t seem to be a problem at all. There appears to be a slight upward incline from the back of the base plate to the front of it. Perhaps that, combined with the pressure from the handle on the post and the small posts and holes in the head and base plate hold the blade in place. I get no sense that the blade is loose or will move forward past where posts would otherwise be. I suppose I find it disconcerting after using other GEMs over the years.

The stops not being there i things is a major issue I’ve all all 3 gem 1 smooth but causes scratches due to no stops the shield razor is aggressive plus no stops imo Sabre is the best and smoothest the only one with stops

Thanks for the review, I have looked at their engraved meteor design and love it. Have you tried the feather spineless blades to see if they fit? They don't on the Sabre. How do you still like it?

Thanks for the review, I have looked at their engraved meteor design and love it. Have you tried the feather spineless blades to see if they fit? They don't on the Sabre. How do you still like it?
G’day Geronimo,

I don’t mind the Boti occasionally when I am in GEM mode. The more I use it the easier it becomes as is always the case. A good razor. However it has become more a “I feel like a change” razor than part of my rotation.

I have not shaved with a Feather SE in it. A couple of reasons For that.

As, you say, it doesn't fit the Sabre and doesn’t fit the Boti either.

The other is that I can only get two shaves (at best) from the Feather SE before it goes to the great razor heaven in the sky.

I enjoy shaving with OneBlade Genesis (which requires that blade) when I am in a hurry and do not want to think. Good for travelling. But otherwise I avoid those blades.

Cheers
Wal

G’day Geronimo,

I don’t mind the Boti occasionally when I am in GEM mode. The more I use it the easier it becomes as is always the case. A good razor. However it has become more a “I feel like a change” razor than part of my rotation.

I have not shaved with a Feather SE in it. A couple of reasons For that.

As, you say, it doesn't fit the Sabre and doesn’t fit the Boti either.

The other is that I can only get two shaves (at best) from the Feather SE before it goes to the great razor heaven in the sky.

I enjoy shaving with OneBlade Genesis (which requires that blade) when I am in a hurry and do not want to think. Good for travelling. But otherwise I avoid those blades.

Cheers
Wal
Thank you for the review. The bluish meteor version looks flashy and I can't get it out of my head lol. This or a brass Yaqi final cut may be ordered this week. It's a birthday gift I get each year lol. I'm not usually into flashy but the Ali pics look great.

Has anyone tried both the Shield Predator and the Wolfman WR3?
I want to put myself on the Wolfman list but want to have an idea of which blade gap would be comparable to the Shield?

Top Bottom