What's new

BOTD: Black Of The Day

Earl Grey Supreme - Harney & Sons

$Earl_Grey_Suprem_4accebfbc38b3.jpg

Ever have one of those days where all of your co-workers are driving you nuts? I sure am, but I'm on evening shift so I'll have to deal with two people in about a half hour. On days like that I break out my Earl Grey and make is damn strong, add a bit of cream, a bit of brown sugar, and just wish for lemon. Sure helped relax me today. Further relaxing after work I will be on the BL.

Had one cup of Earl Grey this morning (medium strength blend from my local teastore) and in the evening three cups of Earl Grey (same blend). I had earl grey yesterday, and I'm probably going to drink earl grey tomorrow as well. Not all the same blends (currently got three ones at home), but Earl Grey nonetheless. Sometimes I spice it up and drink camomile and earl grey combined for that comfortable, yet, alert feeling. However... last time I visited the teastore I felt advantageous so I bought some "Assam Golden Flowery Broken Orange Pekoe" ("Assam Golden FBOP") no idea what that means, even less how it tastes... but I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Oh, and I tend to use a little bit of honey in my tea, the only time I use sweetener in any of my food or drinks :).

Edit: Just noticed on my teastores website that they actually sell a few soaps by Edwin & Jagger and Crabtree & Evelyn, now that was a bit unexpected. Guess I'll have to check if they stock em' in my local store (they got three stores, so not sure this one stocks em').

Last edited:
So today I've had two cups of Assam Golden FBOP (as meantioned in the earlier post), and it was nice, going to have at least two more cups :). I'm only able to drink tea that isn't flavored, unlike so many people in Sweden who seem to like it those horrible blends.

Some black teas age well. Other black teas do not.

Today I had the Teabank (ruhuna area) Ceylon tea with the spiderleg processing from Upton (at least 2009 or before). Flavor is still there, raisins, figs, and chocolate nuances, awesome body for honghca and natural sweetness. Makes two good western brews.

Black Gold Bi Luo Chun again. Much nicer than the (green) organic Bi Luo Chun I received recently.

Colloquially referred to as "Snail Juice". I will definitely order a refill once this runs out.

Nice big mug of English Breakfast in the morning, might be itchy from my new back tattoo and sneezy and congested from my allergies, but at least I have my tea.

Compared to the other wild wild teas...

The flavor and aroma have extremely strong malt and sweetness. I love malt and I have a sweet tooth, so I didn't mind, but this is going to get a gag reflex from a few people. The body is very thick for a hongcha, and the texture is smooth. The qi is very strong for a hongcha, with no difference from the sheng level, as far as I can tell. Still a bit wierd, but more accommodating than the 2009 Wild Wuliang Puerh. Does have sour hints and a touch of "latex". Specifically as a black tea, I can't regard this as being very successful, because there isn't much complexity in the flavor, and is unbalanced as heck. Compared to the Hao Xiang blacks that Houde sells, which also has strong malt, it's just less fun in the taste sorta way, without fruit or flowers. In the future, I suggest a more partial fermentation, more like Oriental Beauty, if that could be managed without bug bites. I do strongly think that this has a place as a boost for other black teas and the more...savory puerh, sheng and shu. Will have to experiment some, I think. May also try it with hong chatou dancongs and rooibos.

Having the last of my Lapsang Souchong from It's About Tea today. I'll have to find some more - saw a local B&M the other day that I might try to visit to re-stock my smokey pine tar tea.

Keyhung Estate (CTC), Assam.
Steeping time ~6 minutes, which made for a pretty strong brew.
Sweetened with two spoons of table sugar and a very small amount of honey.

proxy.php

Top Bottom