What's new

BOTD: Black Of The Day

well today i reviewed the yunnan black again. heres what i wrote about it on my brand new blog.
Today's tea is:

Wild Black Yunnan that i purchased from David's Tea in Brandon, MB

This will be my set up for today's session. I am using the paper towel to try and stop the cups from slurping up any spills and getting stuck inside.

Closeup of the tea.

First infusion : 30s @ 95c : Dark woody smokey flavor, classic black dryness on the tongue. hint of nutmeg on the finish.

Second infusion: 1m: Full bodied slightly citrus tang to it very faint dried fruit. still smokey.

Third infusion: :1,30: Dominate citrus, smoke has evaporated. I think this tea is done.

Now for leaf pr0n :

Thoughts: a lovely tea if your looking for something mildly smokey that develops into citrus notes. The paper towel under the cups helped minimize the ingress of spillage into them. So top tip if your double walled cups like to suck up water and spills, put them on a towel or some sort of absorbent medium to minimize that.

2011 Autumn "Yi Mei Ren" Wu Liang hong cha. It's going to be a hong cha Winter as usual for me, and I bought enough of this stuff to last me. Great tea.

Tried some of my first lapsang souchong. It's just loose leaf Republic of Tea stuff, but I'm definitely going to have to find some more. Been looking at JaseTea's .

Darjeeling FTGFOP1-It's About Tea.

To end tonight off lets have a Darjeeling from it's about tea this is what they have to say about it:

Darjeeling tea is often called the “Champagne of tea” and the teas of this growing region are top quality.

Lets get brewing.

Amount : 5g in dayi gaiwan @ 95c

First infusion.: 30s

Aroma is of honey and lemons hmm. Taste: oh wow that is different! its delicate theres not dryness or bitterness lightly sweet. im having a hard time discribing what im tasting but whatever it is i like it!

Second infusion: 1m

Too long. dry citrusy still nice though. still cant put my finger on what im tasting. will you be satisfied with "darjeeling"?

Third infusion: 1m

More delicate than last but lacking the complexity of the first. still one of the best blacks i'v had.

4th infusion 2m

tea's pretty much dead

Final Thoughts: Wow this tea has got to be one of the best black teas i'v had. its got a totally diffident flavor profile than anything i'v had before. This is maybe a close second to the Grade A Formosa i have. purely divine black tea.

Keemun (Hao Ya B) - It's About Tea

To finish today off is Keemun (Hao Ya B) from It's About Tea here is the writeup they provide on this tea :

Keemun (STD-1110) Hao Ya B 2009 – Known as the “Burgundy of Tea” due to its superb bouquet. Our Keemun is produced in Qimen County, Anhui Province, China. Keemun is a unique black tea produced from small leaf green tea bushes unlike Assam’s from India which are produced from large leaf tea bushes. Keemun is harvested and processed towards the end of April, a little later than most other varieties of China Teas. Keemun is lower in caffeine but is full in flavour. The dry leaf is small and twisted in shape and produces a deep red liquor. The flavour is sweet with a slight “plumy” note and a hint of cocoa, with no bitterness. The flavour is strong enough to stand up to the addition of milk and/or sugar.

Amount: 5g in dayi gaiwan 95c

First infusion : 30s

Light delicate flavor slightly roasted or smokey with dark ripe fruit flavors

Second Infusion: 30s

creamy and fruity. light dryness

more lactose bit more dryness and less fruity.

Fourth infusion: 2m.

lightly smokey less dry and slightly sweet on the finish.

Final thoughts: A lovely delicate and intricate tea that has some staying power to put up with additives not that i would want to put anything in this. this would place 3rd in my black tea list currently definitely recommended for a black tea fan.

Formosa Grade A black tea- It's About Tea

for the second tea of today my all time favorite black tea. Grade A Formosa from it's about tea and here is what they have to say:

This tea is smooth and full-bodied with sweet tones and finish.

Amount: 5g in dayi gaiwan 95c

First infusion: 30s

Slightly dry floral citrus honey. reminds me of earl grey.

Second infusion: 30s

Big floral citrus earl grey note.

Floral lightly creamy and dry sweetness.

4th infusion 1:30

Creamy floral and citrus.

5th infusion: 2m

Floral and creamy not much other flavors left. could definitely go longer if i wanted.

Final thoughts: By far the most fragrant straight tea i'v had the pleasure of trying. dry its like fruit loops. This is Definitely a self drinking tea. very well mannered and a great step up for those who enjoy the flavor of earl grey tea.

Gao Li Gong Shan Gold Tips from Yunnan Sourcing. This tea is pretty delicious, and sweet. Tastes reminiscent of an oolong here and there, but overall a very good bud heavy black tea.

Tarry Lapsang Souchong-It's About Tea.

To finish the night off lets have some lapsang souchong from It's About Tea this is what the vendor has to say about it

A taste adventure for the connoisseur of teas. This rich tea has a pine smoke aroma and a tarry flavor. It's a great tea to serve with savory dishes or around the campfire! This tea has a full smoky flavour reminiscent of an evening spent close to the campfire.

Amount: 5g in dayi gaiwan at 95c

First infusion: 30s

Woody smokey not bitter or dry sweet hint of citrus on the finish.

Second infusion: 30s

Smokey sweet mellow flavor.

Third infusion 1m

Sweet and smokey not too much else.

Fourth infusion: 3m
Smoke this teas done.

Final thoughts: This is one of the most well mannered Lapsang's i'v had it had balanced flavor profile not too much smoke and it wasn't bitter at all. a good one to get people into the style of tea.

Ceylon. Bulk from the corner store run by the little Indian guy down in the city. Nice and strong with just enough sugar.

Black dragon pearls

$black_dragon_2_1.jpg

This week I've been working though a box of Twinings Irish Breakfast Tea. I don't like it as much as the Earl Gray.

Tried some Lapsang Souchong today for the first time - very nice tea. The pine aroma reminds me of visits to the family cottage deep in the Canadian shield... granite and pine trees and lakes.

Yum.

Top Bottom