What's new

BOTD - Beer Of The Day - 2016

My son shared a growler fill from SaltWater Brewery in Deerfield Beach - Screamin' Reels IPA. The carbonation may have suffered a little from its cross peninsula transport, but this is a respectable IPA. Available in cans.

I saw Xocoveza at the local World Market tonight. Outrageously priced at $18 for a six. I'd pass on it at that price.

Ha! Just noticed that I commented on an almost-one-year-old post. Been away from the forums for a couple years... re-learning the ropes. Thanks for graciously replying like I wasn't a greenhorn.

A couple recent brett beers: Allagash One-T and Brasserie de la Senne Bruxellensis, very different from one another but both have a strong brettanomyces presence.

Sierra Nevada Celebration on tap. Ok.
The wife chose Wyerbacher Heresy on tap. Recognized the barrel aging immediately. Very good.

Picked up a single of the Xocoveza at Plum Market. Definitely a good beer, but I'm glad I picked up a single as I'm not sure I could have more than one in a sitting.

Wife is out shopping and bring me home some beer... let's hope she makes good choices.

Picked up a single of the Xocoveza at Plum Market. Definitely a good beer, but I'm glad I picked up a single as I'm not sure I could have more than one in a sitting.

In retrospect, that's kind of how I feel about the beer myself. A little overrated. I think you do have to try it, though.

I have a lot of pint bottles I'll need to get through this Christmas! Stone's 6Year Anniversary Porter is waiting, as is Enki's Cranberry Cacao Porter and Barrel Aged Mocha Porter.

Don

I still have a few Xocovezas in the fridge. Once every couple of weeks is good for me. When I get back to it, I love it all over again.

Ha! Just noticed that I commented on an almost-one-year-old post. Been away from the forums for a couple years... re-learning the ropes. Thanks for graciously replying like I wasn't a greenhorn.

Oh, it's no problem. We've been posting in this thread on and off for close to a year. That's how it got to be 35 pages long.

Don

Xocoveza. It is Christmas Eve. But it's 77 degrees outside for festivities.

That's sunny Florida for you. It was 37 degrees with mixed rain and snow here in the Twin Cities.

Speaking of Christmas Eve brews, I had a pint of Avery Brewing's (Colorado) Vanilla Bean Stout. This one had a festive, Christmas Style green and red label with foil wrapping that almost forced me to take it home. The positive was that it went down smooth with a pronounced, yet not over the top vanilla flavor. It went great with the prime rib roasts we had with the family. The negative? 11% REALLY messes with my motor skills and my thinking:blushing:.

Don

And Merry Christmas to you and your family. YOU have a wife who buys you beer; I have a wife who looks at me funny when I buy beer!

Don

I'm not drinking much beer these days, but this evening I had a magnificent Belgian that I'd never heard of before - Duchesse de Bourgogne. It's a complex fruity-sour beer. A lot like a gueze but with more fruit. Highly recommend this.

$JPEG image-A9D608D8754F-1.jpg

I'm not drinking much beer these days, but this evening I had a magnificent Belgian that I'd never heard of before - Duchesse de Bourgogne. It's a complex fruity-sour beer.

Tried this one. It was different, but not for me. Almost had a vinegar quality to it. BUT, if you're interested in Belgian brews, Try Affligem Blonde Ale. Mild fruit notes with a spice undertone. I liked it.

Had a few more over the holidays. First, 3 Sheeps Ewephoria. A seasonal brew labeled as a ginger chocolate stout. Potent at 7.4%, it actually went down pretty good. Second, Tallgrass Brewing's Buffalo Sweat Oatmeal Cream Stout. Comes in a can, and I'm NOT a fan of "cute" names for beers, but I liked it. Pretty smooth; they recommend you try it over ice cream! Sounds fun.

Founder's Sumatra Mountain. Still unbelievably excellent.

Don

P.S. - Hey! We need to start a 2017 thread!

Last edited:
Top Bottom