What's new

BOTD - Beer Of The Day - 2016

Copper Kettle Brewing Company's Snowed In (2013) - This is my neighborhood brewery and this is a seasonal release. 2013 was the first year for this bourbon barrel aged oatmeal stout with coffee and chocolate added. It has been cellared since it's release, and is incredibly smooth and delicious. I'm a happy man tonight! I've got several 2014s, 2015s, and now a 2016 to try next.

Last edited:
Man, that sounds good, Doug. I love beers that go the oatmeal/coffee/chocolate route. What was the ABV?

Speaking of local breweries, I'll be going to Enki Brewing today for the tapping event of their Mocha Porter. I've already mentioned their Cacao Porter as an awesome brew, and I'm really looking forward to this one. They also have a brown ale called Warming Hut. I've sampled and purchased a growler of this. Hope to enjoy it over the holidays.

Don

Is the Xocoveza really that good? The Whole Foods in A2 has it for $17.99. Should I pick some up?

Also apparently there was a re-release of Bells Black Note. Picking up a couple 4 packs tomorrow.

Is the Xocoveza really that good? The Whole Foods in A2 has it for $17.99. Should I pick some up?

I think you owe it to yourself to give it a try, Jay. The flavor profile is based on a blend of cocoa, coffee, peppers, vanilla, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Hard to describe, but it's different.

I'm pretty well stocked up on it, but I don't remember paying anything close to $18. Was that for a six? Seems kind of steep.

Don

I think I got it quite a bit cheaper for a six pack, too. It is pretty darn good, though. Maybe not Founder's good, but pretty close.

Tyranena Brewing's Sheep Shagger Scotch Ale. Here's the bottle copy:

"Colonel Carmichael, an educated and accomplished Scotchman (sic),
settled in Lake Mills in 1844. He selected a location at the head of
Rock Lake, which he stocked quite largely with sheep, intending to
make a sheep farm of the place. He had five hundred sheep driven in
from Ohio and shepherds with their dogs and crooks come clear from
Scotland. We can picture it now, the Colonel relaxing on the back
porch with a Sheep Shagger Scotch Ale in hand, looking onto his fields
and watching his shepherds shagging sheep for shearing. (Shagging means
retrieving, what were you thinking?)

This one poured out as a deep copper, with minimal carbonation (I liked that). A very full, slightly sweet bread quality to it. A good 12 ounce draft. Might have to get some more.

Don

Sixpoint Brewing 5 Beans Imperial Porter. The draw here was cacao, vanilla, coffee, and a new one for me, cardamom. It comes in a can about the size of any of your readily available energy drinks. Good on the nose, it packed kind of a wallop at 10%. Pretty boozy. I'll finish the stuff, but won't be buying again.

A second offering from Tyranena. The Devil Made Me Do It Imperial Oatmeal Porter. A nice coffee note to this one, with a smooth, almost raisiny finish to it. I like this one; a good winter brew from Tyranena.

Don

Cleaning pistols after a MUCH better day at the range. Sipped another offering from Tyranena Brewing... Rocky's Revenge Bourbon Barrel Aged Brown Ale. I don't think it was much over the 5.7% ABV they claim it is before barrel aging. Very smooth, with caramel and vanilla notes. A definite keeper. Kind of reminds me of Founder's Sumatra Mountain, but more mellow.

Don

Some samplings on tap at No. 3 Craft Brews last evening, surrounded by a crowd of folks in an Ugly Sweater Pub Crawl:
Standpoint New England IPA Point Ybel brewing - decent IPA
Sunshine City IPA Green Bench Brewing - very good IPA!
Old Jubilation Ale Avery Brewing - got warm and spicy, but that's not how it's advertised (unless I got the wrong tap...)
Space Dust IPA Elysian Brewing - loved this one - HOPS! Dry finish.
Christmas Ale by Brouwerj St. Bernadus - a quad for sipping - this was the only full pour of the night for me

Lune de Sang (9% Belgian strong dark), Mill Street Brewery

Watching football.

Is that Leffe crazy sweet? I passed on it at the LC' the other day when for some reason I thought the label said "Gingerbread" instead "Whitebread Golding." Looks like they're not carrying as many special holiday Belgian offerings this year. No Houblon Chouffe, no Piraat, no Boucanier, no Augustijn...

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
It's nice, but I prefer the other two (Blonde and Brun). This one was more mainstream like other beers, not as distinctive as the other Leffes. Worth trying though and I wouldn't be sad if Santa brought some this year as well.

Top Bottom