What's new

BOTD - Beer Of The Day - 2016

Weihenstephaner Hefe Weissbier - a personal favorite, great with salads, great with eggs, great with seafood generally and shrimp especially

Sampled three tonight:
Stone Ruination 2.0 With American Oak - very good DIPA
Kereru (NZ) For Great Justice Coconut Porter - decent, but I'm not jumping on a plane
Deschutes Jubelale - not feeling it, but my palate may have been ruined by the Ruination

Bootlegger's Rocco Red yesterday.
The oher night had a couple of the Hop Juice DIPA from Left Coast Brewing, which I thought was pretty darned good.

Tank 7 on tap. Bright, fresh, but a bit acidic or tart compared to the bottles in my fridge and other drafts I've had.

Also had a taste of my wife's Rum Barrel Aged Piraat on tap. Very good!

Wiper Times. Not what I expected from a Belgian. Malt and apples dominated. Meh.

Stone Ruination 2.0 on tap and Blue Point Nitro Armchair Stout on tap last evening. Still loving Ruination, but I'll pass on the Armchair.

Just picked up 3 bottles of Goose Island Bourbon County Stout and a couple bottles of Founders Wizard of Koz. Will try to age some of these, but it's gonna be hard.

Couldn't resist...

Goose Island Bourbon County Stout

Vintage 2016 ABV 13.8%

I don't have any snifters so I'm drinking this out of a stemless red wine glass at about 55 degrees.

This is a heavy hitter and scores 100/95 on Beer Advocate and I can say, it doesn't get any better than this one.

Warmed up I got notes of black cherry, a little oak, chocolate and a hint of vanilla. While it is BBA, the Bourbon doesn't smack you in the face like it does with most other offerings. The bourbon adds a little sweetness, but it's not over the top sweet. I taste almost zero fusel alcohol as most of the alcohol zing is covered up by the dark fruit.

Easily the best BBA Stout I've had and this vintage seems better than the last few years as well.

Hoping I can get some of this year's! Sounds great!

Hate to take the conversation to the gutter, but has anyone tried the Anderson Valley Bourbon Barrel Stout? While I was looking for Goose Island today, I saw it. It certainly doesn't get the high praise reserved for KBS and Goose Island.

Top Bottom