What's new

BOTD - Beer of the Day - 2014

Last night I got into Sierra Nevada's 4-Way IPA variety pack. I wasn't a fan of Snow Whit, but Nooner and Blindfold were amazing. Torpedo is also included but we all know that's a classic.

I can't believe this thread got pushed to the 2nd page, shame on you people! I had to drink beer at lunch today just to bring this back (well, not really...)
Firemans Redhead Ale
Ballast Point Sculpin

Had a Chillwave double IPA from Great Lakes Brewing (Ohio) and Dirt Wolf double IPA from Victory (Pennsylvania). Both of these are new beers from two venerable craft brewers. Actually the Chillwave is not really new. They brewed it last year for the first time, but it was marketed as Alchemy Hour. They changed the name because of similarity and/or confusion with other beers or brewers. In any case, both beers were outstanding with excellent balance and big kicks of hop aroma and flavor. Highly recommend either, or both if you can get them.

Matt

I might have to look again, but it is all Leffe, Westmalle, Rochefort, and Chimay here in the supermarkets.

They undoubtedly will have it in dedicated liquor and beer shops.

The Bernardus is great indeed. But, it is in fact not an abbey beer: there are no monks actually brewing it. The same brewery does however (partially) brew another world-class beer: the West-Vleteren. The Trappist monks of West-Vleteren (small small village in the west of Flanders) do most of the work inside the abbey of Sint-Sixtus, but a small part of the process (I think things like bottling and such) is done in the Bernardus brewery .

Some even say that both beers (the Bernardus and the West-Vleteren) use the same yeast!

One might say that they are cousins and indeed, both are incredibly delicious. Together with the much more easy to find Chimay (blue) and tripel Karmeliet, they are at the top of my beer list!

Isn't West-Vleteren only sold in the abbey itself? Thanks for your excellent info!
Technically, that is true. They did, for the first time ever, sell a limited number of cases across the United States last year. In virtually every store that had any, the special 4 packs with two glasses were gone within hours. I believe that they were being sold for around $80.00. Westvleteren is only officially sold at the abbey as you stated, but that does not prevent people from buying it, then re-selling it, although the abbey tries to discourage this practice. I had a friend who was visiting Belgium find some at a beer shop in Bruges, and he brought a couple of bottles back for me. It was not out on display in the shop, he had to ask for it. From what I understand, it is very reasonably priced at the abbey. Perhaps Benjimon can give a few more specifics, or correct any mistaken notions that I have, as he is right there, and seems to know a great deal about it. I do know that it lives up to the hype. It is a wonderfully complex beer. As noted, the St. Bernardus 12 is also fantastic, and I'm not certain that I would be able to distinguish the two in a blind tasting test. The Westy has a mystique associated with it, and for good reason. It is that good.

Matt

$uploadfromtaptalk1394828486065.jpg

A fine choice! There are now two trappist brewers in the Netherlands, are there not? Enjoy.

Matt

You are very well informed :001_smile

Klooster Maria Toevlucht in Zundert started selling their abbey beer very recently. I haven't tasted it yet.

There are several other interesting breweries in the Netherlands, such as 't IJ, and Maximus (on traditional Roman settlement ground), and the Texelse brouwerij in Oudeschild.

't IJ is actually one of the larger breweries, but I don't know how much they export.

A few German brews at the local 'gasthaus' and beer garden yesterday:
Bitburger pilsner
Franziskaner hef
Hofbrau marzen
and a bit of Helbig caraway schnapps to finish up!

Harpoon IPA. A nice light IPA, not too bitter, kind of citrusy on the front of the tongue. I like it - basically an IPA version of a lawn-mowing beer.

Top Bottom