Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :yikes:
Razor: Roedter 1909
Blade: Gillette 7o'Clock Yellow (3)
Brush: Omega Evo Ovale
Cream: Cyril R Salter Wild Rose
Post Shave: InstaSkincare Hyularonic Acid
Aftershave: Figaro Monsieur Ambra (Splash)
036_22.jpg

This was my last shave with my Roedter 1909. It's still a face shredder. I'm thinking about doing a Rave's face shredder Roedter 1909 pass around, in case anybody is interested? I want to thank David for this thread.

The things I've learned about shaving with the Roedter 1909: Never say, "What's the worse that can possibly happen shaving with this razor?" "How bad can this razor be?" or "Shaving with this razor will be a piece of cake." If anything may I serve as an example.

Now off to trim some weeds along my fence line before the rain really sets in. There is a bit of lightning out. The universe wouldn't dare... What's the worse that could happen?

Cheers and happy shaves
Rave

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
SOTD: :yikes:
Razor: Roedter 1909
Blade: Gillette 7o'Clock Yellow (3)
Brush: Omega Evo Ovale
Cream: Cyril R Salter Wild Rose
Post Shave: InstaSkincare Hyularonic Acid
Aftershave: Figaro Monsieur Ambra (Splash)
View attachment 1287093
This was my last shave with my Roedter 1909. It's still a face shredder. I'm thinking about doing a Rave's face shredder Roedter 1909 pass around, in case anybody is interested? I want to thank David for this thread.

The things I've learned about shaving with the Roedter 1909: Never say, "What's the worse that can possibly happen shaving with this razor?" "How bad can this razor be?" or "Shaving with this razor will be a piece of cake." If anything may I serve as an example.

Now off to trim some weeds along my fence line before the rain really sets in. There is a bit of lightning out. The universe wouldn't dare... What's the worse that could happen?

Cheers and happy shaves
Rave

Sometimes discretion is the better part of valor. There is no sense in causing your face any more pain.

Thank you for participating in this experiment.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
BOSC Warriors vs The Roedter 1909
shave 20210625_125824_2.jpg

Razor: Scheermes Roedter 1909 Titan
Blade: Bolzano (5)
Brush: Omega EVO
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Lather: Martin de Candre Nature
Aftershave Balm: Nivea Post Shave Balm + InstaSkincare Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal

Passes: 2xWTG on my face, 1xWTG+1xATG on my neck, 1xXTG on my jawline plus minor touch-ups.

Standard notes for the Roedter 1909:
Used a steep angle with very (very) minimal (really close to zero) pressure.

This razor sings. Lots of audible feedback. Not surprising since the blade has very little support. I really took my time and focused on everything: No pressure, maintaining a steep razor angle, short basic strokes, patience, wore my glasses.

Results: Smooth face. No irritation or weepers.

Good shave. :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I'm thinking about doing a Rave's face shredder Roedter 1909 pass around, in case anybody is interested?

Rave - After I am done with Saturday's shave, I'd be happy to clean my 1909 up in the ultrasonic cleaner and send it your way to compare. With no "v" crease and with fairly even side to side blade exposure, I believe that you will find this 1909 much easier to work with.

Please LMK. :cool:

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
I vote for Rave to be forced by Big Nurse to take David up on his offer.

After all she's going to force Rave to do some stupid thing so it might as well be for science.

An endowed chair given to me for lots of reasons...​
BOSC2LogicProfessor.jpg

I'd bet a nickel Dave's right and his razor is much less problematic than Rave's.

To continue the logic chain what about going full moose crazy?
  • David sends his razor to Rave.
  • Rave sends his razor to Dave.
  • Both shave with the other guy's gear.
  • We all get more SOTD BOSC Warriors vs The Scheermes Roedter 1909 Titan reports.
  • Science marches forward.
Happy shaves forever,

Jim

After all she's going to force Rave to do some stupid thing so it might as well be for science.

View attachment 1287522

I'd bet a nickel Dave's right and his razor is much less problematic than Rave's.

• We all get more SOTD BOSC Warriors vs The Scheermes Roedter 1909 Titan reports.
Happy shaves forever,

Jim
Brilliant! :cornut:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
You do know, if I take you all up on this, there is a chance it exposes my complete ineptitude. :blush: I'll think about it. For next week I'm going safe using my Muhle r89. Then I will give an answer. :001_unsur

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member

View attachment 1287522

Happy shaves forever,

Jim
Brilliant! :cornut:

Or.....we can send both razors to Jim to shave with and provide his opinions of both razors. ;) :letterk1: :devil:
You do know, if I take you all up on this, there is a chance it exposes my complete ineptitude. :blush: I'll think about it. For next week I'm going safe using my Muhle r89. Then I will give an answer. :001_unsur

Rave - Pay no attention to our friendly neighborhood BOSC Enablers behind the curtain. ;)

Take your time and let me know what you want to do. :cool:

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
BOSC Warriors vs The Roedter 1909 (Final Shave)
shave 20210626_124029_2.jpg

Blade: Bolzano (6 and retired)
Aftershave: Unnamed Prototype #3
Fragrance: Cuba Orange EdT Spray

Passes: 1xWTG+1xATG on my face, 1xWTG+1xATG on my neck, 1xXTG on my jawline plus minor touch-up.

This razor sings. Lots of audible feedback. Not surprising since the blade has very little support. I really took my time and focused on everything: No pressure, maintaining a steep razor angle, short basic strokes, patience, wore my glasses.

Results: Smooth face. Minor irritation around my Adam's apple. Two weepers.

Decent shave. :cool:

Overall notes and impressions of my 1909 carry the following caveat: My comments are appropriate to my Roedter 1909 which has fairly even blade exposure on both sides and does not impart any weird "kinks" in the blade.

Huge thanks to @Raven Koenes for embarking on this BOSC journey with me! You Rock, Rave! :punk:

Call the question: After six daily shaves in a row, how does the Roedter 1909 fit into my razor hierarchy? Well.....The 1909 is super efficient, and I do mean super efficient. There is a lot of blade exposed and not a lot of blade support. In my opinion, trying to use a shallow or neutral angle is asking for nicks, cuts, weepers and irritation. Using a steep angle, the Open Comb gave some protection and allowed me to cut whiskers without shredding my face. The tricky areas were around my nose, between my mouth and my jaw and (especially) the Adam's Apple area on my neck.

I am not going to assign the 1909 to any of my rotations (Big Dogs, Runs With The Big Dogs and Doesn't Quite Make the Top Two Rotations But I Still Like It). So where does the 1909 fit? Not a daily driver, but I can see me using the Roedter 1909 on rare occasions as a change of pace.

Should you buy a Scheermes Roedter 1909 Titan? No, unless you absolutely have to have the most insanely efficient razor out there and have skin like leather. The exception to this opinion is if, like me, you like to experiment with lots of different razors and are okay spending money on a razor that you will only use on rare/infrequent occasions. ;)

Just my very humble opinion and YMMV. :cool:

BOSC Warriors vs The Roedter 1909 (Final Shave)
View attachment 1287825
Blade: Bolzano (6 and retired)
Aftershave: Unnamed Prototype #3
Fragrance: Cuba Orange EdT Spray

Passes: 1xWTG+1xATG on my face, 1xWTG+1xATG on my neck, 1xXTG on my jawline plus minor touch-up.

Results: Smooth face. Minor irritation around my Adam's apple. Two weepers.

Decent shave. :cool:

Overall notes and impressions of my 1909 carry the following caveat: My comments are appropriate to my Roedter 1909 which has fairly even blade exposure on both sides and does not impart any weird "kinks" in the blade.

Huge thanks to @Raven Koenes for embarking on this BOSC journey with me! You Rock, Rave! :punk:

Call the question: After six daily shaves in a row, how does the Roedter 1909 fit into my razor hierarchy? Well.....The 1909 is super efficient, and I do mean super efficient. There is a lot of blade exposed and not a lot of blade support. In my opinion, trying to use a shallow or neutral angle is asking for nicks, cuts, weepers and irritation. Using a steep angle, the Open Comb gave some protection and allowed me to cut whiskers without shredding my face. The tricky areas were around my nose, between my mouth and my jaw and (especially) the Adam's Apple area on my neck.

I am not going to assign the 1909 to any of my rotations (Big Dogs, Runs With The Big Dogs and Doesn't Quite Make the Top Two Rotations But I Still Like It). So where does the 1909 fit? Not a daily driver, but I can see me using the Roedter 1909 on rare occasions as a change of pace.

Should you buy a Scheermes Roedter 1909 Titan? No, unless you absolutely have to have the most insanely efficient razor out there and have skin like leather. The exception to this opinion is if, like me, you like to experiment with lots of different razors and are okay spending money on a razor that you will only use on rare/infrequent occasions. ;)

Just my very humble opinion and YMMV. :cool:

You made it!

Top Bottom