What's new

Boring Straight Razors

Razors are ultimately tools and, even if they can be small pieces of art beautiful to look at, how well they shave decides ultimately how much I like them.

I learnt that lesson the hard way, falling for the songs of praise that an Italian member posted about some razor maker from central Italy and while his creations were beautiful to look at they invariably were below average shavers.

There is also personal preference.
I am not exactly sure what you meant by “or the rounded that kills it for me”, but I find round points a lot more appealing than ordinary “chopped off” square points.
I have a moustache and found that, contrary to common belief, round points are not difficult to shave with around the moustache area.

B.

This is my plain Jane razors that I like to play with different honing progressions.
One 7/8 Hart razor (my first razor)
6/8 Lalune.
5/8 Heljestrand.
For me it is all about the edge.
I don't care for etching or gold plating. I prefer satin over polished steel too.
20221211_124147.jpg

Funny how life has a way of changing things. My Dixie Razor has been my go to for the past 2 month. Our daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia on October 6th this year. Life flighted to Children's Hospital in Orlando. Some mornings having to do fast shaves with less than the best lather, sink, water, or light. It has been a stellar performer. Other morning she picks the shaving cream and aftershave. Anyone looking for a great razor that is easy to hone, strop, and maintain I can not say enough good about it.

Jud I'm so sorry to hear about that. I've sent a prayer up for your daughter and family. I have 2 dixie razors. I agree they are stellar razors. Something in the steel/heat treatment/tempering process is just right to make the razor very easy to hone and maintain, yet it takes a wicked edge. Merry Christmas and happy holidays sir.

Top Bottom