What's new

Boring Straight Razors

You ever run into a razor that shaves well, but just doesn't excite you to shave with it? I have a Dixie Manufacturing Union City GA. Thought I would really like it. It took me a while to find one, when I did, it honed nice. It shaves great, but is just boring. Think it is the blade width, or the rounded that kills it for me. Shaves great, just boring. Think I have about the 5 shaves with it. It literally is the last razor I grab out of my small collection of 6. I have listed it on Bay, several times and it won't go away.

You ever run into a razor that shaves well, but just doesn't excite you to shave with it? I have a Dixie Manufacturing Union City GA. Thought I would really like it. It took me a while to find one, when I did, it honed nice. It shaves great, but is just boring. Think it is the blade width, or the rounded that kills it for me. Shaves great, just boring. Think I have about the 5 shaves with it. It literally is the last razor I grab out of my small collection of 6. I have listed it on Bay, several times and it won't go away.
I have a Dixie manufacturing from union city! Rounded, cool little nice razor that I will basically never grab.

I so totally get it. I give it props for being my first restored antique (by mail off) that taught me I could find straight razors from antique stores cheap and end up with a good razor, which became a whole thing and is why I now have like 20. Also why I will never use it, because I just got a second etching or Columbian exposition of 1893... With so many cool straight razors in existence, what will I do with this? I know!

I was trying to think up what razor I could send to a friends kid whose learning to be a barber... I couldn't remember this one because it's completely forgettable. I'll mail it away as a gift to a budding barber.

Maybe you'll find someone the same to pawn yours off on.

Legion

Staff member
I find the standard Bengalls a bit boring, but that is probably because I've had so many pass through my hands. Absolutely nothing wrong with the quality, but being in Aus you see them a lot, and usually they have plain plastic scales, not very decorated blades.

They are a good example of being practical without being ostentatious. But at this point I think I want a little fancy.

For me it’s the modern, Asian, Gold Dollar and Titan razors. They’re cheap and they shave ok but they’re void of all the other things that make straight razors interesting to me.

No history, craftsmanship, nice finishes, attention to detail or rarity. They’re about as interesting as a Bic disposable.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
My most boring SR was the Comoy's of London. Shaved beautifully but just boring. I PIFed that to a member in Slovakia. My next most boring SR is my Puma 1⅝ and I will probably PIF that before too long.

I don't find many of the Titans boring but that is because of my love for timber scales. Those scales just feel so good to touch and, with a good edge, they are a pleasure to shave with.

I haven't yet found a straight razor boring. Sure, there are ones I reach for less. But I view any razor I don't like as well as the others as a challenge. Maybe with the right stone finish, or reducing the angle, or...

The only straight razor I've sold, that I can recall, was a modern custom that was simply too beautiful for me. It belonged with someone else.

I only have two so far both fun, though the round tipped one is a tad less interested.

I aspire to collect enough that I accidentally obtain a boring one.

Boring? As in boring to look at maybe? Common? No frills? If that's what we're talking about here then probably my Thiers Issard 5/8.

Plain black plastic scales, nothing fancy. But after ten years I have only had to touch up the edge a few times. It never changes, smooth and comfortable shave. As a person who does most (not all) of his own honing, I'll take boring. All the "not so boring" razors I have had to send off to @Steve56 for him to make "boring" for me again. :straight:

None of mine are boring. I have a couple from both Grandfathers. My Dad's Dad taught me how to hone a razor when I was about 15 years old & his rather plain razor is sharp and smooth. My Mom's Dad left me a razor & brush. The razor was used for plowing the fields when he wasn't shaving with it. It was a challenge to hone and rehab, but it now shaves like it likely never did when it was his.
I have a King Cutter that I use for special occasions, a better Gold Dollar Classic that shaves close & smooth, and a couple of junk no-name razors that were a challenge to hone up and stropped to shave as capable daily drivers.

Funny how life has a way of changing things. My Dixie Razor has been my go to for the past 2 month. Our daughter was diagnosed with Leukemia on October 6th this year. Life flighted to Children's Hospital in Orlando. Some mornings having to do fast shaves with less than the best lather, sink, water, or light. It has been a stellar performer. Other morning she picks the shaving cream and aftershave. Anyone looking for a great razor that is easy to hone, strop, and maintain I can not say enough good about it.

So I am going to go slightly contrarian…I have owned and own some super nice razors…ones that most of us dream of obtaining! Ones that practically nobody would describe as boring.

While I enjoy using high end razors, the things that are more interesting to me these days are the thrill of the chase in finding them at a reasonable price, and finding others that are diamonds in the rough that are mind blowing at the edge, and which shave masterfully!

If I think back over the last few weeks I have been using Wade & Butchers that I nicknamed Big Nasty and Big Ugly because of their condition (nasty and ugly), a Genco Easy Aces Razor (love the bluing on the tail), a beater 1st Gen Filarmonica Especial, and a 6/8 minty Wacker that is beautiful and which has never given me a disappointing shave. I picked up all five for less than one would expect to pay for a mint Filarmonica 14. These ones are more interesting to me as of late, and I have really been enjoying them! Plus I love seeing the patina/weathering on the blade face, and then a crisp mirror on the bevel at the edge and on the bone wear.

I guess I go in spurts…like I do with finishers…right not I am on a coticule kick…but am starting to think more and more about my JNATS.
Vr

Matt

Top Bottom