What's new

Boreal 976 Boar

Every day I use this Boreal I am more and more pleased with it. So far every soap or cream I have used with it has lathered like a mad dog.

I bought this brush recently and have used it for all my shaves since receiving it. This is my first boar brush. It is really a quality-built brush - smooth, good heft and an apparently get set of the bristles in the handle. I have used it for both soaps and creams and it works well with both but excels with soap. The bristles are alot softer on my face than I would have expected, and it will probably only get better as the brush breaks in. Thanks for the tip off on this item!

Is the Boreal denser than than the Omega 31064 or are they more or less the same in terms of how densly they are packed?

Alex

I have both. The Boreal is much more dense and with much more backbone than the 31064. If I had to choose, I'd choose the Boreal since I face lather soaps mostly.

I'm gonna be a contrarian for the moment - knowing full well I may feel differently in a few months. I went on a "boar kick" a while back and bought an Omega 31064, a Semogue 1305, and the Boreal 976. After a few weeks use, I think I like the design of the Semogue best - but the paint chipped badly in two big places and it now looks like damaged goods. ( I knocked it to the tile floor a few days ago, and saw no damage. But the next time I reached for it, two big chips of white paint were gone.) The 1305's performance was pretty decent too.

The Omega 31064 is a fairly handsome brush, and for my money, the best performer of the bunch. MWF always gave me trouble till I got boar, and the Omega with the help of plenty of water, tamed that soap and turned my whole opinion of it around 180 degrees. For me, this brush has the best balance of backbone and "give."

The Boreal is a handsome brush, but entirely TOO stiff for my tastes. I believe a brush is supposed to have enough give to allow a painting stroke and the Boreal has very little give at all. Avoiding "floppiness" is one thing, but this brush goes too far in the other direction IMHO. Whereas the Omega is stiff enough to dig out soap in a tub easily, it still makes for a nice painting stroke after all the lather has been generated and you just want to apply it.

My summary: the Omega wins on performance by virtue of having the best balance in terms of performance. While not as handsome as the 1305, it seems better built for the long haul and is a bit better performer. The Boreal finishes third for me - so stiff I'd never consider it for creams, and even too stiff for soap when it comes to spreading the lather.

The Boreal is a handsome brush, but entirely TOO stiff for my tastes. I believe a brush is supposed to have enough give to allow a painting stroke and the Boreal has very little give at all. Avoiding "floppiness" is one thing, but this brush goes too far in the other direction IMHO. Whereas the Omega is stiff enough to dig out soap in a tub easily, it still makes for a nice painting stroke after all the lather has been generated and you just want to apply it.

Oh man, thanks for posting that bit o insight. It's exactly what I was looking to get out of the Boreal.

Yeah that is exactly why I like the Boreal 976 so much. Face lather goodness...no painting required.

:biggrin:

I just received my Boreal 976 in the mail. I was surpised to see the following warning on the package: "do not soak in hot water." What? I can understand not boiling it, but not soaking in hot water seems bizarre. That's part of every wet shaver's routine.

Has anyone had any trouble after soaking the brush in hot water? Seems bizarre to me that the brush wouldn't be designed for hot water.

What are directions?

No problems soaking...some of the finish on mine at the knot has chipped probably from water, but that won't stop me soaking it.

Top Bottom