What's new

Borax substitute

Gentlemen
I've read in several threads that borax is recommended for cleaning brushes. Living in Switzerland I'm a bit perplexed as to whether borax is available in a commercial product that could be used for this purpose. Any francophones out there who would know where I might locate here or in France some borax to pamper my brush?
Cheers, Roy

you could just use some shampoo or liquid soap in a sink with warm water. And let the brush soak in it for awhile. At least that's what I did for my brush. It work out fine. but then again I am no expert.
proxy.php

I've been using the same brush for almost 20 years. It gets a wash everytime use it. Take a few minutes and keep it under the faucet while squeezing out the embedded lather. Cleaning every day is the trick. And make certain you have a bruse stand so it can properly dry.

I find that the handle of the brush gets a soapy build up. Any ideas on how to deal with that? I've tried an old toothbrush and baking soda, but believe there must be a better way.

xcubbies said:
I find that the handle of the brush gets a soapy build up. Any ideas on how to deal with that? I've tried an old toothbrush and baking soda, but believe there must be a better way.
Depends upon the type of material used in the handle and whether the soapy buildup is truly soap or hardwater scum...
A once weekly bath (brief soaking with cloth rubbing) in hot water and DAWN dishwasking liquid (a strong detergent) for the handle (I would not do the hair bundle) will remove soap scum. Hardwater scum is an altogether different issue. BTW, soap scum is one reason I am not especially fond of colors other than faux ivory for handles.

Howard said:
Try dishwashing liquid in water with a splash of vinegar.

I'd try shampoo with a splash of white vinegar.

The biggest problem in Switzerland is that the water is very hard. You get a lot of hard water build up in a very short time. The vinegar should help cut the build up.

I actually went into a pharmacy and bought borax in powder. Mixed it with hot water and I'm in business. Pretty simple, actually.

Top Bottom