What's new

Boozy, amber, tobacco - Need recommendation!

Thanks for all the recommendations guys I have a few samples incoming. If anybody thinks of anything else I'm still all ears

I'm really new to the fragrance world, so stick closer to the advice above, but you can have Bath & Body Works 'Bourbon' for a song (~$28). I preferred Suede to Bourbon, but it was close between the two.

Again, as a complete novice, I think it's at least worth the venture to the nearest American mall. Happy hunting!

Thanks for all the recommendations guys I have a few samples incoming. If anybody thinks of anything else I'm still all ears

Mike - have you tried Tom Ford's Tobacco Oud? I forgot about this one until today. It has a heavy dose of oud, but beyond that, whisky and tobacco figure heavily in this one. I love it.

I have not tried it. I have somewhat of a love hate relationship with oud. If it's toned way down I like it otherwise it's harsh on my nose.

Side note, a plethora of samples arrived today and Amouage Opus VI was first up, just wow. I need to do a full application but I can certainly see this being full bottle worthy

Not much oud in the ford to my nose

Get the tobacco for sure, maybe booze leather but no oud

Last edited:
Great replies on this thread. You've got lots of booze, tobacco, and boozy tobacco recs, but the best masculine ambers are Ambre Sultan by Serge Lutens and Ambre Precieux by MPG (Maître Parfumeur et Gantier). They're both pretty pricey, but I'm eyeing Al-Haramain's amber oil and considering buying it unsniffed because it's fairly modestly priced. If it's suitable I'll let you all know.

Ok, initial sample results are in. I was initially looking for something that had all or some combination of the following: boozy, amber, tobacco

- Mugler Pure Malt - far too sweet and duration issues - completely gone in 2 hrs
- Mugler Pure Havane - little better longevity, nice scent
- 18.21 Man Made - incredible substitute for Parfums de Marly Herod at a fraction of the price, longevity was outstanding, sample generously provided by a fellow B&B member, thank you so much! I ordered a bottle within a few minutes of application I liked it so much
- Slumberhouse Baque - very very dark and heavy, too much so
- Xerjoff Cruz del Sur l - meh
- Hiram Green Slowdive - had it's moments but ultimately no go, tuberose is very strong
- Profumi Del Forte Ambra Mediterranea - ok, might revisit this one
- Amouage Opus VI - will definitely be revisiting this one
- Maître Parfumeur et Gantier Ambre Precieux - worth a revisit
- Histoires de Parfums Ambre 114 - started very very nice but dried down into a smoke dominated scent, no go
- Replica Jazz Club - worth a revisit but similar to a few others here I liked better
- Probably a few more that I've forgotten haha!

Samples still en route, CH Men Prive, Bvlgari Man Black. I still want to try Frapin Speakeasy and Xerjoff Naxos although the price of this made me pucker up if I like it. I will say none of these captured the creamy intoxicating sense I get from Oajan.

Several were excellent replacements for Herod though - probably the 18.21 Man Made, Mugler Pure Havanae and Replica Jazz Club in that order. Longevity was best by a wide margin of the 18.21 Man Made, second was Replica Jazz Club and 3rd was Mugler Pure Havanae (all in the tobacco vein).

Amber's I liked best were Amouage Opus VI and Amouage longevity is just ridiculous so no issues there, probably Profumi Del Forte Ambra Mediterranea in 2nd. So here's a bunch of info for anybody looking into this scent theme

The 18.21 will stick to your clothing for a long time as well. If you spray around the neck it will soak into a jacket so be aware of that. It’s really the only downside to this fragrance.

18.21 also gets better over time. Boozy start, mid tobacco, and finally a warm molasses sugar cookie sent. Wish I found this stuff years ago.

I lucked out at JCPenny and got three 100ml bottles for $30 ish.

Jazz club is rum and tobacco. I like tobacco oud and Tom Ford recently came out with tobacco oud intense which is really good.

Top Bottom