What's new

Boots Bay Rum - Hair Tonic

Hello chaps

New here and thought I'd post a review after not quite finding the information I was looking for on Hair Tonic / Boots Bay Rum Hair Tonic particularly.

In regards to hair tonic, my interest was to what degree of 'hold' for a hairstyle it would provide and the naturalness of the look/feel - less grease/product the better. I wasn't sure what hair tonics offered apart from maybe an alcohol buzz on the scalp when massaging in and a nice smell.

In reviewing a hair product I think it's helpful to know what type of hair/style it's going on. My hair is straight, thick and quite wiry, slightly dry, being grown so the sides start to flick behind the ears and back touching the collar. Not too heavy overall though.

The product - Boots Original Bay Rum Hair Tonic - £2.99

Widely available here in the UK. (And has been for decades in the same design of bottle)

As far as I can tell after some internet research/leg work checking other local high street shops, chemists and barbers, the Boots example is the only hair tonic freely available to buy over the counter. Certainly in London and other cities there will be other brands available but provincial Britain, that's it.

The scent - This is my first try with Bay Rum so it's difficult to judge. I'm pretty happy with it however - sweet and spicy, old school. Strongish at first but quickly dissipates after 25 minutes to be almost undetectable. Fine by me but others may want a longer lasting scent

Hand feel - putting some in the palm of your hand, one can feel the coolness as the alcohol evaporates. It's got a slight glycerine feel as you rub it between your hands ready to massage it into your hair. Not as thin as water if that makes sense.

In the hair - very easy to work into hair. I didn't massage it into my scalp as I've had problems with psoriasis in the past but no problems in that respect with this product. Best results were massaging into damp, towel dried pair, then combing into style.

Hold - This was really rather good for my hair, in fact great. It gave just enough hold to keep everything in place but look and feel completly natural, as if there was no product. It gave the hair shine and smoothness and brought out the natural colour (albeit one shade darker) but again looking natural. It helped if you needed to push back your hair into original style after a windy day, wearing hat etc. Stayed in hair after several days without washing to help maintain style.

Greasiness - There was no greasiness or residue at all. Washed out easily, plain water worked fine. I know there are other hair tonics available with and without oil but this was perfect for my wishes.

Two good sploshes into hands were needed per application (it's a basic open slosh ? bottle)
With daily use, I'd say you'd get at least three weeks out of bottle, probably more (though I've got a fair bit of hair to tame)

Conclusuion - an absolute bargain. The Boots HT did exactly what I wanted - natural hold, no greasiness, easy to wash out. At £2.99 a bottle

Use as afthershave - I 've read other B & B threads about using hair tonic as aftershave. Well, yes, it probably would work with this stuff, with reservations.
What do you want an aftershave to do ? Possibly the glycerine feel might calm any shaving irritation. However, the biggest drawback would be the limited silage IMO - the scent's gone after 25 minutes.

Anyway, hope this may be of use to others out there and it's answered the questions I had. I'll now have the confidence to try other hair tonics so it's all good

Thanks, James

Last edited:
Top Bottom