What's new

Bootleggers El Dorado question?

I finally got a bottle of Clubman Special Reserve. I couldn't ever source it locally so I tacked some on to an amazon order. I like it quite a bit. Not so much still in the bottle, a little more as a straight splash but I hit the sweet spot with wetting my hands, having about a teaspoon of water in one palm and then doing 2 or 3 splashes in that hand, rubbing my wet hands together and then applying it to my face and neck. After 10 or 15 minutes of dry down its awesome. This has really peaked my interest in Bootleggers El Dorado. For anyone not familiar El Dorado is a mix of 2 parts Clubman Special Reserve, 2 parts Clubman classic Vanilla and 1 part English leather.

The recipe is here: Bootlegger's

Do you use the English Leather cologne or the English Leather Aftershave in that recipe?? Thanks in advance!!

@OkieStubble Since we are on the topic of Bootleggers...did you ever find an adequate substitute for Vitos. It's just really hard to find...and when you do, the place is usually overseas and you spend triple the price on shipping.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Rob,

There are a few other Bootleggers I need to mix up but just have not had the time.

You are missing out my friend. Get mixing. :)

@OkieStubble Since we are on the topic of Bootleggers...did you ever find an adequate substitute for Vitos. It's just really hard to find...and when you do, the place is usually overseas and you spend triple the price on shipping.

After much searching, I did find a somewhat adequate replacement in Cuba Orange spray cologne. It's cheap enough and smells close enough. But it didn't give the same face feel effects that I look for in a expected criteria for a Bootlegger's mix. Not that adding a few drops of vegetable glycerin couldn't fix that. But it also was not the easiest thing to do, getting the right amount of the cologne in the mix to keep it from overpowering the other ingredients.

TVB Shaving in Slovenia, is the only vendor that I know who carries Vito's Colonia Tobacco and will ship it overseas. I didn't feel like the shipping was something I couldn't do, but I made sure to get enough that I don't have to keep ordering Vito's. But I actually like TVB Shaving and will be ordering more stuff from them in the future.

I like Bootlegger's Perfecto well enough, that I made several purchases in order to obtain a lifetime supply of 10 bottles. That should keep me mixing the Perfecto Virginia and Maduro for quite some time. :)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I hit the sweet spot with wetting my hands, having about a teaspoon of water in one palm and then doing 2 or 3 splashes in that hand, rubbing my wet hands together and then applying it to my face and neck. After 10 or 15 minutes of dry down its awesome. This has really peaked my interest in Bootleggers El Dorado.

You won't have to use water with El Dorado and it's dry down is even more awesome. Send me your mailing address and I will send you a sample.

Is El Dorado that good ? I might have to try and find Vitos. If it is anything like Bootleggers Bay rum then I would like it. Thats the only one I have made so far.

You don't need Vitos for El Dorado. Just Pinaud's Special Reserve and Vanilla, and English Leather.
El Dorado is a great, masculine, scent. Leather, tobacco, powder. Great longevity.

el dorado.jpg

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
You are missing out my friend. Get mixing. :)

After much searching, I did find a somewhat adequate replacement in Cuba Orange spray cologne. It's cheap enough and smells close enough. But it didn't give the same face feel effects that I look for in a expected criteria for a Bootlegger's mix. Not that adding a few drops of vegetable glycerin couldn't fix that. But it also was not the easiest thing to do, getting the right amount of the cologne in the mix to keep it from overpowering the other ingredients.

TVB Shaving in Slovenia, is the only vendor that I know who carries Vito's Colonia Tobacco and will ship it overseas. I didn't feel like the shipping was something I couldn't do, but I made sure to get enough that I don't have to keep ordering Vito's. But I actually like TVB Shaving and will be ordering more stuff from them in the future.

I like Bootlegger's Perfecto well enough, that I made several purchases in order to obtain a lifetime supply of 10 bottles. That should keep me mixing the Perfecto Virginia and Maduro for quite some time. :)

Saw this thread when I was looking for an inexpensive alternative for Vitos Colonia Tabacco and ordered a bottle of Cuba Orange. Will let you know my thoughts when I get it.

OkieStubble

Saw this thread when I was looking for an inexpensive alternative for Vitos Colonia Tabacco and ordered a bottle of Cuba Orange. Will let you know my thoughts when I get it.

I like all the Cuba spray Colognes. Gold, Blue, Red and Orange and always keep a set on hand in the cold winter months.

Cuba Orange is perfect for summer nights and I actually use it in conjunction with and after splashing on Bootlegger’s Perfecto as a finisher.

The orange citrus and tobacco flower in the Cuba orange is definitely the closest comparable to my Bootlegger’s Perfecto. However, trying to get the mix right with a spray cologne is not an easy task. You don’t want to start at equal parts for sure and the smaller the sample size you attempt to create in order to not waste, makes it even harder to measure out the spray cologne accurately.

my experiments with it were quite successful, but during the testing phases, a Vendor for the Vito’s was found which was TVB Shaving and testing with Cuba Orange was dropped.

Last edited:

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Hmmmm...but the scent profile in Cuba Orange was similar to the Vitos Colonia Tabacco?

OkieStubble

Hmmmm...but the scent profile in Cuba Orange was similar to the Vitos Colonia Tabacco?

Yes, very similar as orange citrus and green tobacco flower. The Cuba's cologne strength wants to overpower the mix.

Also remember, my Bootlegger's Perfecto not only has orange citrus and tobacco, but also a non-clovey and non-spicy Bay Rum as it's foundation.

Top Bottom