What's new

Bootleggers Bay Rum review

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I've over indulged the past couple of weeks trying all kinds of new product. As always, there are some winners and losers. The losers end up making my car smell better. So...It all gets used.
Are you married? If so, learn from me.

I have on occasion sprayed some less than stellar scents into the toilet bowl.
The War Department was less than impressed. It would have been better for me to have used it to gargle with.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Are you married? If so, learn from me.

I have on occasion sprayed some less than stellar scents into the toilet bowl.
The War Department was less than impressed. It would have been better for me to have used it to gargle with.

Yes, my bride always gives me her honest opinion on all my Bay Rum purchases. So far...Colonel Conk is her favorite although she did like Bootlegger's quite a bit. Sometimes I'll use stuff like Lustray as a body splash on the weekends.

Another interesting Bay Rum to check out is C.O. Bigelow Bay Rum Cologne. Comes in a spray bottle. Smells great...a little light on the longevity. Their Bay Rum hair and body wash is outstanding.

My wife loves the smell of that stuff.

FarmerTan

Yes, my bride always gives me her honest opinion on all my Bay Rum purchases. So far...Colonel Conk is her favorite although she did like Bootlegger's quite a bit. Sometimes I'll use stuff like Lustray as a body splash on the weekends.

Another interesting Bay Rum to check out is C.O. Bigelow Bay Rum Cologne. Comes in a spray bottle. Smells great...a little light on the longevity. Their Bay Rum hair and body wash is outstanding.

My wife loves the smell of that stuff.
Ooooo! The hair and body wash is something that I knew not of! Sounds divine.

JCarr

Ooooo! The hair and body wash is something that I knew not of! Sounds divine.

I rank it as one of the best Bay Rum products I've discovered in quite a while. Looking forward to trying Atomic Age. Was checking out the Phoenix website. They have a deodorant I'd be interested in. I've been using the Olgallala ones which I like...but the Atomic Age one was a little cheaper and the juice smelled good. May give there's a try when my Olgallala stash runs out.

JCarr

Used my Bootlegger's again today...won't bore anyone with anymore posts on it. Amazing stuff...very impressive for a mix of cheaper Bay Rums.

Anyone have any input on another product from Phoenix called Boomtown Bay Rum?

FarmerTan

Used my Bootlegger's again today...won't bore anyone with anymore posts on it. Amazing stuff...very impressive for a mix of cheaper Bay Rums.

Anyone have any input on another product from Phoenix called Boomtown Bay Rum?
Well, you can't bore me with any posts about ANY Bay Rum, and as I am the most important person living in my own head, please feel free to post away!

Just mixed my first batch of Bootleggers Bay Rum this morning. Now the hard part of letting it sit until next Saturday begins. I had a nice vintage glass 4 oz Pinaud bottle to put it in, and stuck a cork in it. My other bay rums will have to see me through the next week. Restraint is not something I'm known for, this won't be easy.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Just mixed my first batch of Bootleggers Bay Rum this morning. Now the hard part of letting it sit until next Saturday begins. I had a nice vintage glass 4 oz Pinaud bottle to put it in, and stuck a cork in it. My other bay rums will have to see me through the next week. Restraint is not something I'm known for, this won't be easy.

Very nice. :)

I'll have to try this some time, as I have plenty of Superior 70 around, and I think the Clubman Bay Rum lacks depth (I like Lustray's bay rum, it has a "barbershop" vibe to it).

Superior 70 isn't really a fragrance, it's an alcoholado, a rubbing alcohol. It's a home remedy for all sorts of things in Puerto Rico, though it is indeed used as an aftershave. It's also great on sore muscles after a workout, or as a hair tonic. The bay oil acts as a rubifacient, similar to eucalyptus oil.

I found a nice Avon green jug and transferred my new BBR. I'm counting down to Saturday, but I gotta say it already smells killer!
I put the remainder of the VIBR in the Pinaud bottle where it really belongs.

OkieStubble

I found a nice Avon green jug and transferred my new BBR. I'm counting down to Saturday, but I gotta say it already smells killer!
I put the remainder of the VIBR in the Pinaud bottle where it really belongs.

Yesterday was the day @Uncas uses Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum for the first time. I hope he posts what he thinks of it here? :)

I'm here, I'm here!, I am in your debt Sir. Happily I have more ingredients, cause this ain't gonna be around long. :thumbup1:

I walked away from Bay Rum years ago, and only recently decided to give it another try. Second time is the charm. I can't seem to get enough of the stuff now. I've accumulated quite a few including a vintage Dominica which I will never admit what I paid for, and won't get opened till my bday Oct 1st. This Bootleggers is truly fantastic, I'm not sophisticated enough to describe all the nuances, I only know what I like and what I don't....I LIKE!!...A LOT!!!

OkieStubble

I walked away from Bay Rum years ago, and only recently decided to give it another try. Second time is the charm. I can't seem to get enough of the stuff now. I've accumulated quite a few including a vintage Dominica which I will never admit what I paid for, and won't get opened till my bday Oct 1st. This Bootleggers is truly fantastic, I'm not sophisticated enough to describe all the nuances, I only know what I like and what I don't....I LIKE!!...A LOT!!!

Me neither, But glad you are enjoying it! :)

JCarr

Question on Boootlegger's mix...have you ever mixed a batch slightly heavier on one of the three ingredients per your taste?

OkieStubble

Question on Boootlegger's mix...have you ever mixed a batch slightly heavier on one of the three ingredients per your taste?

I have found that mixing the three in equal parts creates a synergistic effect which makes the sum of the final mix greater than it's individual parts.

Only you can decide for yourself if mixing in a heavier amount of Master's will break this synergy and become sticky and tacky again, due to the fact it has too much glycerin. Will mixing more Superior 70 cause the extra alcohol in it's ingredients to thin out and water down the glycerin too much where it doesn't condition the face? The glycerin is also the base carrier for the outstanding longevity of the mix. Will altering it destroy the longevity?

Will mixing in a heavier portion of PVIBR once again, make it too clovey? Too spicy? Will it add too much cinnamol again and once again have the fires of hell reaction to the face & neck when applied? Wasn't that the problem with PVIBR in the first place?

Why try to fix the Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum mix when you said it's already a winner? Why attempt to fix what isn't broken? The very purpose of my Bootlegger's series of aftershaves was to take ordinary and cheap aftershaves, that were missing something and mix them with others of like kind, to create a synergy where the whole of the finished product was greater than it's individual parts.

If my Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum hasn't satisfied your search for a Bay Rum, you probably would be better served attempting in creating your own bay rum, before changing the synergy that my Bootlegger's mix has already achieved long ago. :)

JCarr

I have found that mixing the three in equal parts creates a synergistic effect which makes the sum of the final mix greater than it's individual parts.

Only you can decide for yourself if mixing in a heavier amount of Master's will break this synergy and become sticky and tacky again, due to the fact it has too much glycerin. Will mixing more Superior 70 cause the extra alcohol in it's ingredients to thin out and water down the glycerin too much where it doesn't condition the face? The glycerin is also the base carrier for the outstanding longevity of the mix. Will altering it destroy the longevity?

Will mixing in a heavier portion of PVIBR once again, make it too clovey? Too spicy? Will it add too much cinnamol again and once again have the fires of hell reaction to the face & neck when applied? Wasn't that the problem with PVIBR in the first place?

Why try to fix the Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum mix when you said it's already a winner? Why attempt to fix what isn't broken? The very purpose of my Bootlegger's series of aftershaves was to take ordinary and cheap aftershaves, that were missing something and mix them with others of like kind, to create a synergy where the whole of the finished product was greater than it's individual parts.

If my Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum hasn't satisfied your search for a Bay Rum, you probably would be better served attempting in creating your own bay rum, before changing the synergy that my Bootlegger's mix has already achieved long ago. :)

Thanks for the feedback, Okie! Bootlegger's hits a number of winning characteristics for me...scent and longevity being the biggest two. But quantity and quality for the price are also excellent. There are plenty of Bay Rums on the market, some I like very much, but if you do the math, you end up paying a lot more for less product for many of them.

Top Bottom