What's new

Bootleggers Bay Rum review

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Let's do this right shall we? PM me your mailing address and I will send you some generous samples of the entire, Bootlegger's Series. :)

Whatcha waiting for @JCarr ?

1. It's free

2. Their all wonderful

3. I am a police officer. I won't show up on your front porch trying to break in. It is safe to private message me your mailing address if you would like to try them. Your page shows you signed up Saturday. It's ok, I've been here for years. I have sent samples, many, many times. No victims in the news yet. :)

OkieStubble

I've gotten so used to straight Superior 70 that I don't even think about the longevity anymore. It smells nice, is refreshing, and dirt cheap. If I have to reapply after half an hour or before heading out the door it's no problem at all.

Superior 70 went from absolute obscurity and $1.99 a bottle, when I first introduced it here, to being very popular and $10 a bottle. Quite the journey I'd say. :)

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Let's do this right shall we? PM me your mailing address and I will send you some generous samples of the entire, Bootlegger's Series. :)

I really appreciate your generosity and kindness...but I'm completely sincere about mixing up a batch as per the B&B formula: one third Superior 70, one third Pinaud VIBR and one third Masters Bay Rum.

Superior 70 I already had and the other two are scheduled to arrive this coming Wednesday.

Will definitely post the results. So many folks here have posted how much they like it. I'm sure it'll be a smash hit.

Thanks again for offering.

OkieStubble

I really appreciate your generosity and kindness...but I'm completely sincere about mixing up a batch as per the B&B formula: one third Superior 70, one third Pinaud VIBR and one third Masters Bay Rum.

Superior 70 I already had and the other two are scheduled to arrive this coming Wednesday.

Will definitely post the results. So many folks here have posted how much they like it. I'm sure it'll be a smash hit.

Thanks again for offering.

Sooo, you're not interested in trying,

Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum?

Bootlegger's Perfecto Virgina?

Bootlegger's Perfecto Maduro?

Bootlegger's El Dorado?

Bootlegger's Green Freeze?

Bootlegger's Artic Lime Blast?

They're all wonderful and famous, not just the Original Bay Rum? :)

JCarr

Sooo, you're not interested in trying,

Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum?

Bootlegger's Perfecto Virgina?

Bootlegger's Perfecto Maduro?

Bootlegger's El Dorado?

Bootlegger's Green Freeze?

Bootlegger's Artic Lime Blast?

They're all wonderful and famous, not just the Original Bay Rum? :)

I have 8 ounces of Ogallala Lime, Sweet Orange and Vanilla Bay Rum all double strength. They're all good and I use them all depending on the day, but at this point, I'm just looking for a really good Bay Rum...one I can finally say...this is it...drop everything you got right here! And I'm really hoping that Bootlegger's is it.

I should also say, as much as I like those other Ogallala aftershave with lime, orange and vanilla...they're more scented like lime, orange and vanilla so much to the point that the Bay Rum is hidden. Not sure if you're scented Bay Rums are the same way...but if so, I'd prefer just a straight Bay Rum.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from with that.

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I have 8 ounces of Olgallala Lime, Sweet Orange and Vanilla Bay Rum all double strength. They're all good and I use them all depending on the day, but at this point, I'm just looking for a really good Bay Rum...one I can finally say...this is it...drop everything you got right here! And I'm really hoping that Bootlegger's is it.

I should also say, as much as I like those other Olgallala aftershave with lime, orange and vanilla...they're more scented like lime, orange and vanilla so much to the point that the Bay Rum is hidden. Not sure if you're scented Bay Rums are the same way...but if so, I'd prefer just a straight Bay Rum.

I hope you understand where I'm coming from with that.

I understand. I'm positive you will like the Old Fashioned and Classic scent of Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum.

I still feel rejected like I did on prom night years ago. :) That olgallala with the orange and vanilla sounds intriguing.

I bet Bootlegger's Perfecto Virginia with it's Bay Rum, Orange Citrus notes and hints of Virginia Green Leaf Tobacco, is intriguing also... ;) Naw, you wouldn't be interested.

Anyone else interested?

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I understand. I'm positive you will like the Old Fashioned and Classic scent of Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum.

I still feel rejected like I did on prom night years ago. :) That olgallala with the orange and vanilla sounds intriguing.

I bet Bootlegger's Perfecto Virginia with it's Bay Rum, Orange Citrus notes and hints of Virginia Green Leaf Tobacco, is intriguing also... ;) Naw, you wouldn't be interested.

Anyone else interested?
You KNOW I am. I'm the self proclaimed King of anything Lime, or citrus, or cheap. Money saved goes towards .22 rounds!

FarmerTan

I've gotten so used to straight Superior 70 that I don't even think about the longevity anymore. It smells nice, is refreshing, and dirt cheap. If I have to reapply after half an hour or before heading out the door it's no problem at all.
Hey @Mr. Bonney : how are your exploits in mixing up your own Bay Rum? I swear I will be experimenting this winter. I may need tips!

FarmerTan

Have you never tried any of the Bootlegger's Series of aftershaves Dave?
Yes, one. The Bay Rum Lime. For the life of me I cannot remember who sent it to me, which irks me to no end. I suppose I could dig through and find out. I had stated I loved lime scents, and the gentleman sent it along. I find it VERY comforting post shave, and a lot longer lasting than I expected. A good 45 minutes to an hour.

FarmerTan

Yes, one. The Bay Rum Lime. For the life of me I cannot remember who sent it to me, which irks me to no end. I suppose I could dig through and find out. I had stated I loved lime scents, and the gentleman sent it along. I find it VERY comforting post shave, and a lot longer lasting than I expected. A good 45 minutes to an hour.
It was @ G. W.

JCarr

Pinaud VIBR and Masters arriving today...Superior 70 is waiting for the mix. Wish me luck.

OkieStubble

Pinaud VIBR and Masters arriving today...Superior 70 is waiting for the mix. Wish me luck.

When you posted the recipe, it said a 1/3 of each. 1/3 is kind of an outdated reference which can be confusing. In simpler verbiage, the recipe is simply 1 part of each in equal amounts.

Good luck, I hope you like it. I would definitely put it in a glass bottle after mixing and maybe let the mix sit a few days to a week to marry all the ingredients. It will definitely become a richer and smoother aftershave over time as it sits.

JCarr

Mixed it all up when I got home from work...smells great! Will let it sit for a day or two and use it. But first impression is ... very nice scent!

FarmerTan

When you posted the recipe, it said a 1/3 of each. 1/3 is kind of an outdated reference which can be confusing. In simpler verbiage, the recipe is simply 1 part of each in equal amounts.

Good luck, I hope you like it. I would definitely put it in a glass bottle after mixing and maybe let the mix sit a few days to a week to marry all the ingredients. It will definitely become a richer and smoother aftershave over time as it sits.
The Bootleggers Lime Bay Rum that G.W. sent me got better with age, just as he predicted. He said he had just mixed it, if I recall correctly.

JCarr

How's the clove-iness on first impression?

The spiciness/cloviness from the Pinaud is toned down considerably although it's not entirely gone, but what comes out over top of it, which surprised me, is the Superior 70 Bay Rum scent...but it's like they're joined...not separate scents.

On a side note...my wife knew I was doing this zany mix...And she wanted to see how it turned out. She liked it! Bonus! And she is very honest about the Bay Rums I've picked up over the years. Going to let it sit a day or two before I use it.

Hey @Mr. Bonney : how are your exploits in mixing up your own Bay Rum? I swear I will be experimenting this winter. I may need tips!

I found (quite by accident) that mixing Avon Tribute with Superior 70 made a really satisfying bay rum combo. (One part Tribute to four parts Sup 70). The burnt orange in the Tribute adds a nice dimension to the naked bay of the 70, and I get about 30 minutes of noticeable odor from it on my hand.
Had the opportunity to smell some vintage Avon Bay Rum a few months ago - smelled just like my blend. And the WSP Bay Rum shave soap is pretty close as well.

The one negative is the wife only smells clove when I wear my blend, so she doesn't really care for it.

FarmerTan

I found (quite by accident) that mixing Avon Tribute with Superior 70 made a really satisfying bay rum combo. (One part Tribute to four parts Sup 70). The burnt orange in the Tribute adds a nice dimension to the naked bay of the 70, and I get about 30 minutes of noticeable odor from it on my hand.
Had the opportunity to smell some vintage Avon Bay Rum a few months ago - smelled just like my blend. And the WSP Bay Rum shave soap is pretty close as well.

The one negative is the wife only smells clove when I wear my blend, so she doesn't really care for it.
Thanks for the info. I might have some experiments to do!

OkieStubble

The Bootleggers Lime Bay Rum that G.W. sent me got better with age, just as he predicted. He said he had just mixed it, if I recall correctly.

I actually splashed on Bootlegger's Lime Bay Rum today after my shave. It has marinated in it's bottle for a year and a half.

The dry down was incredible!

Top Bottom