What's new

Bootleggers Bay Rum review

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Bootlegger's Perfecto Virginia and Maduro, received many, many excellent reviews from members here. But as far as I know, I am the only one who liked it enough for the price, to acquire and obtain a lifetime supply, while Vito's Colonia Tobacco could still be had in the states.

The Perfecto's are truly, an amazing Bay Rum creation.

So...I noticed that B&B has clubs or groups. Why not one for Bootlegger's? Anyone who uses any of the mixes. Bootlegger's Brigade or Bootlegger's Brotherhood. Regulators! Let's ride!

JCarr

So...I noticed that B&B has clubs or groups. Why not one for Bootlegger's? Anyone who uses any of the mixes. Bootlegger's Brigade or Bootlegger's Brotherhood. Regulators! Let's ride!

Okie...post your preference for a name. You should choose that. First post should list the criteria and also...the formulas.

Okie...post your preference for a name. You should choose that. First post should list the criteria and also...the formulas.

Bootlegger Brigands? We are Bootleggers after all.

Other ideas:
Bootlegger Battalion
Bootlegger Bunch
Bootlegger Band

Any other alliterations...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JCarr

Bootlegger Brigands? We are Bootleggers after all.

Other ideas:
Bootlegger Battalion
Bootlegger Bunch
Bootlegger Band

Any other alliterations...

I kinda like Bootlegger's Brigands.

I'd like to give mixing up a batch of Bootlegger's a try but I'm finding it difficult to find anything other than the VIBR online in Canada.

Any fellow Canadians on here know where to source Superior 70 and Masters domestically?

I'd like to give mixing up a batch of Bootlegger's a try but I'm finding it difficult to find anything other than the VIBR online in Canada.

Any fellow Canadians on here know where to source Superior 70 and Masters domestically?

Can you use Amazon? Pre COVID at least I was able to get all three ingredients from Bezos. Might be hard to find Superior 70 now though due to being a good hand sanitizer.

Call me a heretic and burn me at the stake, but I thought Bootleggers was a waste of Superior 70. Most of my aftershaves are bay rum, but I didn't like the scent of VIBR. And Masters is sticky. 70 isn't bad on its own. Don't waste it if you can find it.

OkieStubble

Dirty Donuts are so Good.
Call me a heretic and burn me at the stake, but I thought Bootleggers was a waste of Superior 70.

Lol'd. People like what they like and don't like what they don't like. You should never be burned at the stake for that. :) Lot's of people like Superior 70 on it's own. Pretty sure the same with PVIBR and Master. But Bootlegger's isn't any of those. It's a synergistic blend of all three. Which is different. :)

Most of my aftershaves are bay rum, but I didn't like the scent of VIBR. And Masters is sticky. 70 isn't bad on its own. Don't waste it if you can find it.

This is exactly how/why Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum came to be. You are right. Many think the spices, cinnamol and clove are too strong or pronounced in PVIBR. But Bootlegger's tones those down to a smooth enjoyable level. PVIBR also burns like "hell fire!" after a shave. Bootlegger's tames those fires of hell.

Many think Master is too sweet, too sticky and has no longevity. And they are right. But again, Bootlegger's takes away the stickiness and tones down the over the top glycerin too do it's job of skin conditioning without being sticky. It also takes the "actual bay oil" that's in Master, and blends it in with PVIBR that doesn't have any. Did you know, PVIBR, isn't an "actual real bay rum? A real bay rum has real bay oil. But the problem with many real bay rums with real bay oil is, they need to have some good ole' "Pirates of the Caribbean" spices in it, like a little clove but not too much. A little cinnamon but not too much! And still have natural bay rum oil goodness in it!

My Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum accomplishes this by mixing the three. And with longevity. Sure, there are a few other brands out there that accomplish this same thing. And if you really like to splash on Bay Rum as often as I do and can always afford the price you are going to pay for their 4 ounces to always keep you supplied, versus and compared to, the whopping 40 ounces that you can make of Bootlegger's around the same price?

Enjoy the Bay Rum that best suits you, with no stake burning at all. Only good cheers that you found what you like. But if you are looking for:

1. A quality Bay Rum, with the perfect amounts of skin conditioning?

2. "Pirates of the Caribbean" spices?

3. And loaded with actual and natural pure Bay Rum Oil?

4. Where the after the splash skin, feels oh so smooth and wonderful?

5. And the scent after the dry down, is so absolutely incredible?

6. And you have so much of it, for so cheap a price, that can splash as much as you want with reckless and absolute abandonment? Every day if you want to, because it's so cheap to make?

Then you should try my Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum my friend. :)

Don't even get me started on Bootlegger's "Lime" Bay Rum. ;)

Last edited:

OkieStubble

Ok...so...who starts the thread in the clubs and groups section?

I nominate you. :) You have probably spent more money, more time and more effort on learning about every type and brand of Bay Rum known and available to man. I think this qualifies you to head the club and have a renowned and respected opinion on the goodness of Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum.

However, While Bootlegger's is an unofficial Brand it is widely known in the shave forum as a brand. And that brand, represents a whole series of Bootlegger's aftershaves. Seven aftershaves in the series to be exact, all with many who like them. So is this a club for just the Bootlegger's Bay Rum? or for Bootlegger's the Series? :)

JCarr

I nominate you. :) You have probably spent more money, more time and more effort on learning about every type and brand of Bay Rum known and available to man. I think this qualifies you to head the club and have a renowned and respected opinion on the goodness of Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum.

However, While Bootlegger's is an unofficial Brand it is widely known in the shave forum as a brand. And that brand, represents a whole series of Bootlegger's aftershaves. Seven aftershaves in the series to be exact, all with many who like them. So is this a club for just the Bootlegger's Bay Rum? or for Bootlegger's the Series? :)

I would say...the whole Bootlegger's series. I'll start it up. Bootlegger's Brigands.

It's there! If anyone has a link to the formulas...post a link or the formula. Thanks!

Last edited:

OkieStubble

I would say...the whole Bootlegger's series. I'll start it up. Bootlegger's Brigands.

It's there! If anyone has a link to the formulas...post a link or the formula. Thanks!

Now there's a place to discuss and ask questions on all things Bootlegger's! :)

Last edited:
Can you use Amazon? Pre COVID at least I was able to get all three ingredients from Bezos. Might be hard to find Superior 70 now though due to being a good hand sanitizer.

Seems like nearly everything I look at on Amazon is for some reason not able to be delivered in my area, not sure why that is. I'll have a look again though and see.

JCarr

I never even thought of that. Must be why it's sold out everywhere.

CzechCzar

Use the Fat, Luke!
Good luck! Takes some time, money and patience I'm sure. I have enough Bootlegger's to last for quite some time now.

Still waiting for Atomic Age to show up. Also...I can't give up Olgallala. So...with that...I'm satisfied!
So how was Atomic Age @JCarr ?
There was a suggestion of the Crusellas awhile back when I was experimenting with looking for a replacement ingredient for the Bootlegger's Perfecto. Vito's Tobacco, is an orange citrus with raw green tobacco notes. Crusellas, is a patchouli or musk with a burnt cigarette tobacco note in my opinion. I have the Crusellas and it is not a viable mix in my opinion for the official Bootlegger's Perfecto mix, but I would never oppose someone doing it if they liked it.

Just can't be called Bootlegger's Perfecto. Some people take their mixing more seriously and spend much time and effort in creating their mixes, others not so much. People can easily judge if I do or not with my Bootlegger's creations, simply by trying them. :)

The Bootlegger's Perfecto's may have to go the way of the dodo, if a suitable replacement for the tobacco and citrus note can't be found. Those who love it as much as I do, acquired enough to last them when it first became harder to find. It's probably why, It's always out of stock at TVB Shaving. I think at one time, most of the U.S suppliers quit carrying it because they couldn't sell it; and then Bootlegger's Perfecto was created and the demand on it suddenly increased.

Superior 70 was hardly known by most here, until I introduced it years ago with the Bootlegger's Original Bay Rum. Now, it is very popular forum wide and it's price increase from $1.60 a bottle to $9-$10 in many places and from when I started, only finding it at Walgreens in the ethnic section, to many online vendors selling it now, reflects that increase in popularity.
I am determined to find a source for Vito's tobacco.
I'm a big Bootlegger's fan. I started with Bay Rum, and then El Dorado. Both are enjoyed as part of a yearly rotation.

Over the years I now have the pleasure of using the whole Bootlegger's collection.

Here's what the bootlegger's experience is like.

1. "Gee, this smells pretty good."

2. "It certainly smells better than the original 'X' it came from."

3. (Chuckling to myself as I am once again reminding myself that wet shaving can save money) "This IS inexpensive. Why don't I use this stuff all the time"?

4. "I should have stocked up on Vito'es Tobacco. I'm gonna run out before my 75th birthday, and then what I'm gonna do?

If you haven't tried Bootlegger's yet, do yourself a favor and start with some making Bootlegger's Bay rum.
Just tried it this morning... it is amazing.

Top Bottom